Is the 7/7+ worth losing your Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pdxmatts, Sep 8, 2016.

  1. pdxmatts, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

    pdxmatts macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #1
    I have a 6S+ that is Jailbroken on 9.02. I have been waiting for a Matte Black color to come back as I loved my i5 Slate/Black. I also wanted stereo speakers. I kind of want the Black 7+, but also don't want to give up my JB. My phone is dialed in just the way I like it with some great tweaks. Is anyone thinking of giving up their Jailbreak to get the new 7/7+? Do you think a JB for IOS 10 will come sooner or later?
     
  2. navigates macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #2
    If you ask me, you can safely get the iPhone 7 and rest assured a jailbreak will surely come out sooner or later. Now that may as well take about 6 months before it is releases and if I were to upgrade solely based on the jailbreak requirement, I'd say you are safe if you upgrade as per past trend.

    As for me I have the iPhone 6 and that works just perfectly well. I use the wired headset all the time and charge the phone simultaneously. I don't want to go fully wireless. Moreover the iOS10 disables pptp vpn which is the only vpn that works well with the whatsapp calls. If I use open VPN's the sound gets cut every second. Thats why I downgraded back from iOS10 back to iOS9.

    Except for the looks, which is very tempting, I don't see a need to upgrade. Infact these days I'm leaning very much towards the Samsung Note 7. Samsung has wireless charging as well which I fail to understand the lack of with the iPhone.
     
  3. eyoungren macrumors P6

    eyoungren

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix • 85037
    #3
    There are a lot of fugly phones out there that are black. Apple joined that group yesterday with the 7/7+.

    I already have fugly with my 6s+ and it's jailbroken on 9.0.2.

    I will be staying right where I am until the iPhone 8.

    I like black, but in this case it does NOT cover a multitude of sins.
     
  4. Sital macrumors 68000

    Sital

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Location:
    New England
    #4
    When it's time for my phone upgrade, I always upgrade whether the iOS version is jailbroken or not. This time will be no different, but I still have a few months before I pull the trigger. For me, jailbreaking is fun, not a necessity.
     
  5. pdxmatts thread starter macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #5
    I'm the opposite. The Jailbreak is a necessity and the upgrade isn't :p
     
  6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

    bandofbrothers

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location:
    Uk
    #6

    I almost read that as In its case it does NOT cover a multitude of sins.

    Then I remembered how well you like iPhone cases @eyoungren
     
  7. eyoungren macrumors P6

    eyoungren

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix • 85037
    #7
    Well, maybe if I was going to bury it in the back yard… ;)
     
  8. BR485 macrumors member

    BR485

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    Location:
    Junkie Town West
    #8
    No, especially if you have a newer model phone. Only a fanboy/consumer zombie with issues would feel the need to buy a new device for the sake of buying a new device. I have a jailbroken 6S (128GB) too and I'll upgrade it when it starts slowing down and showing its age. It would be madness to chuck a fast, optimally tweaked phone for a 7 and stock iOS.
     
  9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

    EM2013

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    #9
    I have the 6S plus and it's not much of an upgrade to get a 7 and go MONTHS without a jailbreak again. I love my current setup and can't see myself being stuck on stock for months again.
     
  10. Chukwe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2010
    #10
    I'll buy the iPhone 7 128GB jet black when iOS 10 jailbreak is out. Saving up for it now
     
  11. pdxmatts thread starter macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #11
    Well, now ATT is offering $650 in credits of an installment plan for 7/7+ with the trade in of a PIF i6/6s/6s+. We have a PIF i6 on my sons line. Seriously considering this and getting the 7+ and giving my son the 6s+. What to do, what to do ??? Now the question is, is it worth it to to get a free 7 and lose your Jailbreak. LOL!
     
  12. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

    kalirob99

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #12
    Loosing the headphone jack also. Doing that's like bulldozing an orphanage. :(
     
  13. pdxmatts thread starter macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #13
    But won't the headphone jack also be gone on the 8 when that comes out? I feel like Apple won't bring it back in the future
     
  14. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

    kalirob99

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #14
    Only one way to know if they'll cave. Its like Sony with the proprietary memory cards for the Vita. Low preorders will spook them.
     
  15. Carlanga macrumors 604

    Carlanga

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #15
    No thanks
    That black glossy finish looks beautiful but one of the youtube reviewers already saw scratches on the demo phone back so no thanks on that black as well.
     
  16. Will22 macrumors 65816

    Will22

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2011
    #16
    I've preordered a 256gb 7+ in black but as I have never had a + model I'm not sure if I'll like it so I have also ordered a 256gb 7 and I can send back whichever I don't want. I will have just over 40 days to make my mind up.

    I'm hoping there will be a jailbreak sooner than later and at that point I will sell my iP6 unless I can find someone that will pay the right price for it beforehand but as it is still on iOS 8,4 I'm reluctant to get ride of it.
     
  17. mdlooker macrumors 65816

    mdlooker

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Location:
    US
    #17
    I currently have the 6+ and plan to buy the 7+ and keep it in plastic until the new JB comes out for it.

    I won't be in the country for at least a year come November so I'll need to get it while I can, if i can. Otherwise I just may wait until the 8 comes out.
     
  18. iRetired macrumors 6502a

    iRetired

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    Location:
    WNY
    #18
    I have a jailbroken 6+ that I'm gonna run into the ground.

    I have a jailbroken 4S that I thought I was gonna run into the ground, but it still looks and works the way it did on launch day.

    BTW, if I really want jet black, all I have to do is pop my SIM into the 4S and off I go.

    No plans for 7/7+. Maybe 8+.

    Or I'll put both away and go back to my Blackberry Bold 9900. Which is also jet black.

    Decisions, decisions.
     
  19. thadoggfather macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #19
    I'm all over the place with 7/7+ decisions

    might just do 7 regular 32, least cost of entry. since i will likely upgrade next year

    keeping SE regardless, 9.3.3 jailbroken

    Might offload my 6s+ if I find 7 much to my liking (with improved battery and image stabilization, maybe big screen won't matter as much this go round?)
     
  20. imlovinit macrumors 6502

    imlovinit

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2012
    #20
    I preordered 7+ and just going to keep my jb 6+ as a back up. I just wanted to give this 7 a go but I wouldn't sell or give away the jb 6+ until (if ever) a new jb comes out.
     
  21. thadoggfather macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #21
    in my experience of fail, NEVER be left without a JB iPhone, even if it means selling it later to lag the gap- iPhone 6 premature leap for me was ridiculously painful,

    i dont mind buying stock knowing it will get it eventually most likely, but i need a phone in rotation that is to my liking otherwise the walled garden gets me in virtual padded walls mentality

    I lucked out buyin 9.7 pro the weekend that pangu unexpectedly dropped for 9.3.3, took a few more days to iron out for pro's to work but amazing

    and bought SE like 3 or 4 weeks before pangu as well, but as secondary to my jailbrokne 6s plus but was daily driving on iOS 10 beta, until 9.3.3 jb came along :D

    so crazy to have been doing this stuff for nearly a decade (being a consumer jailbreaker, hell bent on the perfect custom UX apple won't provide me-- dont pirate piss though as a side note cant say i didnt dabble early on in the jailbreak days)
     
  22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #22
    Unfortunately I will be stuck with a stock ios device for not too long I hope. :)
    I couldn't pass up the T Mobile offer to upgrade to a free iphone 7 by trading in your old 6 or 6S.
    So I will be trading in my iphone 6 and pay an additional $120 plus taxes for a 32GB iphone 7 Plus.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that they have saved some exploits for ios 10 and we will see a good untethered JB soon.
     
  23. pdxmatts, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

    pdxmatts thread starter macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
  24. SoYoung macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2015
    #24
    Seriously, I can't understand the need to upgrade if you have an iPhone 6S. Losing the headphone jack, just a little more faster, and a better camera? really? I can't justify the needs for a new phone when the 6S is really a fast phone with no sign of performance issue, even with iOS 10 ( I tested the beta back in july)

    So with or without a jailbreak, I'm still very happy with my 6S and honestly, have zero interest to upgrade to the 7.
     
  25. pdxmatts, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

    pdxmatts thread starter macrumors 65816

    pdxmatts

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #25
    Agreed about the 6S. I would be replacing a 6 with the free 7/7+ ATT promotion. I am still thinking about it. Have time to cancel if I want to
     

Share This Page