Is the Apple Watch SS chipping?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by producerlawson, Apr 13, 2015.

1. producerlawson macrumors regular

Check the bottom of the device, hopefully this is just some stubborn dirt that needs wiping off rather than a chipping/peeling visibility.

Attached Files:

2. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Can you imagine a high-end watch-seller allowing demonstration product to look like that on the shop floor?

3. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

To be quite honest, I've been in three UK Apple stores since Friday (don't ask why haha) and non of them have had the watches out for personal use like this. I get the feeling that it's mostly in the US? All of the stores I have been in have had the single glass topped table, and secondary table to the side with pull out draws.. weirdly I have also found that they are reluctant against band swapping and link changes whilst trying it on, and it wasn't like there was a huge queue waiting to try them on either - I guess the staff differ from country to country.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

That does look really bad. Hopefully it is just some crud build up or I'm going to have to be bloody careful with mine. I don't mind some scratches here and there, adds character but I don't want big gouges out of it any time soon.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I would be shocked if it was chipping that easy. Granted, you have no idea what that watch has been through. How many people a day are waring it, how many times it has been dropped, etc.

6. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

Am I taking crazy pills? is that not a reflection of something in the room?

7. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that at first, but after studying the shape it's unlikely.. unless the kid videoing it took a rock in store with him :D

8. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

That's definitely a reflection. That area wouldn't even touch the ground if you dropped it. Steel doesn't chip like that. Bogus.

9. Vundu, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Not a reflection, look at the bottom right-hand corner where the case meets the bezel. Looks like it has been dropped.

10. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Everyone.

It is tape/protective film. The display units at my Apple Store in New York had the same thing. It is just remnants of protective film while shipping I assume.

Calm down, no worries! :)

11. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

Phew! I hope so - I just laid out £1208 aha. I really do hope so though.. it's just it is like you can see inside the edges of a chipping :confused:

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Bizarre, I went to the Basingstoke store on Sunday and they had (from what I could see) every model to try on (except Edition). The Apple dude was happy to spend lots of time with me and my other half trying various watches and bands on, in various combinations. I kept asking if he needed to move on to someone else and he was "Nah it's cool, keep going" :)

13. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the southern staff are a little more optimistic compared to the northern staff. To be honest the staff in the Leeds store when it first opened were atrocious.. they didn't know how to print a receipt, they would replace bad devices but would then proceed forgot to take away the defunct device, leaving you with an extra 'freebie', non of them knew about the trade in's etc - I think that explains a lot of them aha.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I have thirty year old stainless steel watches that have been beat to hell and back and they are merely scratched, not gouged. I even have some that are some cheap unidentifiable plating over a cheap base metal that survived my tomboy days with just some scuffing of the finish.

The only finish I have no experience with on watches is aluminum. Steel would really have had to be forcefully dragged against an abrasive surface to look that bad. I can't imagine a drop during a try on or demo did that. So I think it's just something stuck to it.

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

TBH I have nothing but total praise for the Basingstoke store. They've helped me out with most of my purchases from repeated Air and rMini replacements to an iMac screen replacement for one dead pixel.

I spent one afternoon trying about 15 pairs of bluetooth headphones on at their insistence because they "didn't want me to make a bad decision and waste my money"

16. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

It couldn't have been dropped because that's one of the demo units that are secured to the table, so you can't even pick them up.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think it's a reflection.

Specifically of the OPs fluffy rabbit slippers.

18. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

Apple at it's best :)

haha it's from some kids video on youtube (turn the volume down, he shouts into the mic like there's no tomorrow towards the end) - https://youtu.be/2lwReu9AHgA?t=7m17s

19. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It's on a demo stand so no one can even pick it up. There's no opportunity for it to chip unless someone banged it with a hammer. It looks like smudging to me.

20. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I will try and go to my Apple store tonight and provide pictures of the protective film/tape, if its even still there.

I promise you that is what it is :) Relax everyone....breathe.

21. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Someone taking Force Touch to an extreme.

P.S. Anyone else feel like a Jedi Master when they say Force Touch?

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This. If I ordered a SS, I wouldn't worry about chipping. SS scratches.

23. freediverx macrumors 6502a

Careful, my ass. This is an Apple product, and a pricey one at that. Under no circumstances would it be acceptable for the steel case to chip or peel.

I've worn the same steel watch for over 20 years and you'd have to look at it under a magnifying glass to see any scratches on it.

According to Apple's own "Steel" video, the case is made from forged, high-strength steel alloy and then milled and polished to its final shape and finish. This is not some cheap pot metal with a chrome coating that would be prone to peeling.

https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch/

More than likely, that's just a reflection of something.

----------

What was the source for this photo?

24. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

If stainless steel can survive 100 trips through my dishwasher without chipping, I think it can manage three days in a display case.

25. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW