Is the cmbp 15 overpriced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Applefanboy8153, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Hi I was just fooling around the apple store and noticed that the cmbp 15 is blatantly overpriced for it's features. Anyone with similar views?

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Nope. What exactly makes it overpriced?

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

MBP 15" Base has always been around this price.
    Get me an Aluminium PC Laptop with the same specs, they most likely are around the same price or even higher.

Go back to the time before the G4's, now that was an expensive time.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Said above me but my 12in PBG4 was over 1700USD for that spec.

People say if you build your own PC, you would have a cheaper and better one.
    But thats a desktop and MBPs are laptops.
    I personally believe that the price of MBPs right now are perfectly placed.
    In fact the rMBPs might be bit over priced.

5. leman macrumors 604

Yes, i so think that cmbp is overpriced, at least compared to other products on the market and of course the retina model. You can pick a windows laptop with same specs/weight/display for significantly less. Look for instance at the new Samsung chronos. The only areas where the cmbp has the advantage are design/sturdiness of the build/trackpad and of corse OS X. To be inline with the market, the cmbp should cost at least few hundred less.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That’s a monster Laptop, 3 Kg, battery runs only 5 hours or so, a VGA port LOL and it's not that much cheaper.(And Ugly)
    Get a real similar Laptop, it will be more or less the same if not more expensive, as far as I know others tried but never succeeded to release a similar spec'd one for less money.

Review Samsung Series 7 Chronos 770Z7E Notebook

7. leman macrumors 604

I am talking about the new 15" model - 2.2 kg, 1080p PLS screen, 8770M GPU for $1300 (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/samsung-series-7-chronos-ultrabook-landing-in-u-s-stores/). IMO, the appropriate price point for the cMBP would be around $1500 for the hi-res version.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, that already looks much better, still has a VGA out though.:p
    Don't get it any laptop still carries a VGA out, about time we get rid of this port.

Still have to see all the specs and reviews.

Apple has always be on the high end pricing side, if it was made by a different manufacturer it probably would be cheaper, but hey, you also pay for OS X and the nice integration with services which others don't have.

9. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

but just 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD for that price is a deal breaker. Id expect at least a 8GB RAM and a 750GB HDD or a 500GB 7200rpm HDD.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The base model is a good price. Any option upgrades are overpriced.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This is Apple you never get what you want, they are a bit cheap here.

Actually, I can remember one instance vaguely, the "new" iMac a couple of years ago, there were almost no complaints, can't recall year nor model identifier.

12. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

But then the storage and memory are kinda less also the screen is not full HD.

----------

For 1959 dollars (in my country) I would expect more storage or a 7200 rpm HDD and atleast 8GB memory.

----------

I to think that the VGA port is outdated and must gotten rid of.

13. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Every Apple product is overpriced. You get the same spec for half the price on Windows.

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Stop that nonsense.

Oh and since when do you get a computer with Windows.

15. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

It is a matter of fact that Apple products are all overpriced. This is a feature of this business' policy. Do not forget Apple is just meant to create profit, and can do well with these prices because these products are sold anyways, at any price, being "unique".

Apple just thinks about the money: it is normal.

It is a fact that if you see a Notebook from Asus, Dell, Santech etc. with the same identical specs it is half the price with Windows 8.

16. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yet another example..

Yet another example of 'the market will decide'..

If APPLE doesn't sell ANY, or not enough as they see fit, then it is 'too expensive'.. Simple as that really!! If you do not like what you get for the price, you will BE one of those statistics that sways the pendulum..

If you decide it isn't so bad after all and buy one, then Apple Wins.. Again.. and they shall assume it must be priced about right.. :apple:

17. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Bingo.

If people buy them, the price can be doubled. It will be extremely overpriced until Apple looses a great piece of market.

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

That is the nonsense part I meant in my first post, show me a similar PC laptop, with similar specs and none of them can match Apple's pricing.

Similar is for instance: Battery life on a charge AND how long will that battery last (lifetime) AND an all aluminium case AND a stable as easy OS AND all the easy integration with other devices/services AND all the easy build in Apps AND Manufacturer takes back the product after it's broken/had is lifetime AND the very very very good service AND I can go on and on.......

19. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

An ASUS N56VZ has Intel Core i7 quad-core, upgradable 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, upgradable 750GB 7.2000rpm HDD, Nvidia GT650 with 2GB of dedicated memory, 1920x1080p anti-glare display, Asus support, 3 hours of battery life at full work, Blu-ray Drive, Windows 8 and it's half the price.

900$ instead of 1800$.

20. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Good for you, still by no means a MBP

Now, I am out of here, same story again and again, show me the same as I said in my last post and I listen, until then, take care.

21. leman macrumors 604

This is blatantly untrue. Take for instance the iMac - there is no other AIO on the market that would offer similar performance. Or the retina MBP - again, nobody else build anything like that. For half the price, you can get a computer with similar performance, but it will be a completely different form factor and quality. Fast, light, compact laptops with good screens all cost $1300 and more.

22. Liquinn Suspended

Hmmmm. The 2012 rMBP on Amazon is cheaper than the cMBP. Interesting. :

23. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Maybe not an AIO, but a common desktop with identical specs is 400$, not 1.300$.

24. Applefanboy8153 thread starter macrumors regular

I find all apple products reasonably priced but somehow this one is kinda not at peace with me.
    Also windows laptops are about a 100-200 dollars lesser not half the price please quote an example.
    The 100 dollars can be justified as you get a much better OS and a 1000 times better experience (I used windows for over 9 years before moving to OSX)

----------

no anodized aluminium.
    No OSX (deal breaker)
    Sounds like a gaming laptop which are crap
    A beta version OS (windows 8 is so stupid it is meant for tablets not laptops and PCs)
    Trackpad is fat from perfect.
    Anti glare screens of Apple are of superior quality and reduce glare by 75% against that of Asus's 45%
    Source CNet
    No seamless integration between devices.
    Hardware and software are not meant for each other so the device is made keeping software in view hence many features are sacrificed.

25. leman macrumors 604

You are joking, right? Just the display costs close $200. The i5 CPU in the base iMac costs around $170. Building a comparable desktop to the base iMac, using only budget parts will bring you close to $700 if not more.