Is the current Apple watch that slow?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by techiebug, Sep 5, 2016.

1. techiebug, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

techiebug macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying an Apple watch. Of course the upcoming 2nd gen will be better, but rumor has it it has the same design. The GPS is kinda big deal but I don't really run or anything. The current gen is also much cheaper, possibly half the price of the new one if I got a used one. Plus next year it's very likely the watch will be redesigned. Is the current watch really that slow? Ive read some reviews and most say it's not fast enough and apps take long to load, etc. This is a deal breaker if true. If the watch takes longer to load app than getting the phone put of my pocket then there is really no point for me to get one :(

2. shimy1984 macrumors member

I have an Apple Watch and yes its pretty slow and has a tendency to lag. That said, I can't go a day without wearing it. The big features for me are the complications (especially the Dark Sky weather complication) and the notifications. Those are just way to handy to let go of once you have them.

I suggest you wait for the new version. I'll definitely upgrade.

3. Julien, Sep 5, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Today mine took almost 10 seconds to respond after hitting the End on the Workout app. Then it hesitated and 'jump' scrolled as I scrolled down to Save. We want know for sure for at least a few hours but I bet the :apple:Watch 2 is analogies to the original iPhone and iPad too their replacements.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The answer depends a ton on what you will likely be doing with it. For example, I do not notice a lag in things I do most frequently, like reading notifications, Dark Sky (except when updating a forecast), Apple Pay, Wallet app for travel (Delta tickets), looking at calendar entries, etc. I do not use the Workout app anymore, which is very laggy. Occasionally Hey Siri is slow, but it is not a deal breaker in practical use. And a few other apps are laggy, but they are also very occasional use for me.

5. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

With OS3, i put my Workout in the DOCK and it launches quickly and easily.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Quick OS3 question about this... Workout is sometimes slow to launch. But the other problems I have seen (and Julian noted above), are that Workout is also occasionally horribly laggy when it is already active and slow to respond to end and scrolling down to save. Does OS3 and the dock improve this behavior as well?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If responding to me then please reread my post. While opening the Workout app is sloooooow as hell on wOS 2 I know that is not going to be a problem in wOS 3 so I did not make any reference to launching it. I was ending a workout and the touch response was slow and then the Digital Crown/screen scrolling was slow. Also selecting a Workout type can be slow. There are many other things I could say too like slow to boot up, slow to update, slow Siri/voice recognition/response, etc.

8. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Answer to both...with OS3, launching is easy as i wrote above. As for during and after workout, it is pretty responsive 90% of the time. Occasionally, it will lag, but usually because it also has to do other things, like an incoming text message at around time of you ending the workout for instance.

But, yes, OS3 latest beta for me improves responsiveness all around. And no, above post by me was just quick response in general, not to specific person(s).

Even though i "SAVE" workout, i believe that Watch automatically saves it if you just click on crown after ending workout.

9. UAV macrumors regular

so far the best lag free watch i have used has to be the gear s2. 100% lag free can't wait to see what the new gear s3 will be like. i got rid of my apple watch the first week.

10. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Slow boot, i agree. Slow update...i agree, but doesn't the software have to download to iPhone first and then transferred via BT to Watch? So, IF so, then things are gonna be slow regardless of hardware.

At some point, OS2 ruined Siri for me. WatchOS3 makes it useable again. Siri now understands full commands much better.

Oh, and Scribble rocks! :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2016 ---
    Unfortunately, that is not true...should have given AW more chance. S2 does lag and stutter. Screw that bezel fast enough and there is lag galore! Waking screen up also stutters b/w always-on dim and full brightness when raise arm.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It does, I just have a little OCD and like to hit Save.

I don't doubt that it is an improvement I just remember when the iPhone 3G and iPad 2 came out. People thought the originals were good until they saw the replacements. Since it has been 18 moths I bet the :apple:Watch 2 is going to make the original look like a tortoise overnight. I actually hope I'm wrong and can survive the Apple hype and keep mine.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2016 ---
    This happens very quickly. It is the processing, preparing and installing that takes soooooo long. A faster processor will speed this up substantially.

12. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 5, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Current wOS 3 beta testers are saying it's significantly faster (at least in the dock) and feels like a new watch. We'll find out if AW2 feels even faster like going from iPhone 3G to 3GS, or from 4 to 4s.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Good to know. Thanks.

14. techiebug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. Seems like the current watch is not practical enough for me to use on a daily basis. I used to own a LG G watch and it was slow as hell, the only thing I used was checking notification and time. We'll see how the watch 2 is like

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Today I ran a 5k. On my left was my Garmin watch and on my right was the Apple Watch. I started the run on the Garmin. While STANDING STILL, I pressed start on an open run. When I finished the race, the Apple Watch hadn't even started.

Hurry up Watch OS 3.0!

16. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

Another point: some lag of the interface, for example when opening the app launcher on os2 depends on the chosen watchface. So if you, for example, set a photo as your watchface there is no lag in animations. Just my 2 cents :) but apps load not that fast currently, true story :/

17. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Right now, yes it's slow. In 2 weeks time when watchOS 3 is released? No it won't be.

Watch is 3 is absolutely rapid, it fixes every problem the watch has with speed.

18. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Ah, but was your finger sweaty? (we all know how frustrating it is to try to use the touch screen with wet hands) :)

(they really need to develop a touch screen that works wet!)

19. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

There's a patent for that....

20. Julien, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Impressive, but can you cut the light with off and be in bed before the
    That was not it and I have (do) use workout 6x a week and 1 (2 days a week) and up to 5 (3 days week) different workouts per day since launch. I was just citing a specific example that happened yesterday. In that specific example I hit END and then backed away and it responded several seconds later. Wet fingers can cause it to not respond and need another tap but don't result in a very delayed touch response. That appears to be more of a slow processor at work. Also I sited slow/hesitating/choppy Digital Crown scrolling that is TOTALY unrelated to the screen.

Just sitting here typing this post and I switched on the Workout app and hit Stair Stepper (by chance) and it took almost a full second to respond and then when I the back key it took 2 hits and a couple of seconds to respond. 1st world problems but evidence that the S1 is slow.

I very skeptical that the type of issue can be addressed in the OS and believe we will all see the current :apple:Watch as a slug in 24 hours. However I hope I'm wrong.

21. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Yet, i do the same...and it is instant via DOCK. FYI.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2016 ---
    OS3 won't correct the fact that you did not press START in an open run....

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Having in the Dock is only related to opening/accessing the app instantly with current/updated data. After that being in the Dock is irrelevant to any app functions (unless it was preloaded/updated data) like I'm referring to. All my examples are after the Workout app is opened/loaded.

23. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Huh? Maybe i am not understanding your issue. I have NEVER EVER used Stair Stepper until just now above. My Workout app is in DOCK. I click side button. Click on Workout. Scroll down to Stair Stepper. Click on it. And i am presented with "Active Calories" with plus and minus sign...and i am ready to go.

Again, i have NEVER used Stair Stepper...thus, no preloaded or updated data needed.

24. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I think the original Apple Watch will be the better value if you don't need GPS. Even with Watch OS2, slow is subjective. I'm still on OS2 and personally I do no find it slow or laggy most of the time. The issue is that some apps are better than others. I have a number of core apps I access frequently that are quite snappy (Fantastical 2 Calendar, Carrot Weather, Lose-It, Bring grocery app, etc.) I'm certainly looking forward to the OS3 dock that allows these apps to stay loaded in memory, but even as it stands with OS2 I wouldn't say I'm losing patience with any of them. There are some apps I access less frequently that do take longer to load and update, but overall things are much snappier than they were a year ago. That makes me pretty confident that I will not be tempted to upgrade to the new watch (I don't need GPS). I'm also excited for Scribble and the ability to swipe between faces without having to do a press+swipe+tap.

Sean

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I DID PRESS START! The point is that it did not recognize my press. I believe iOS 3 uses one of the side buttons.