Is the current iPad really THAT slow???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhaserFuzz, Dec 12, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I've seen threads where people are complaining about how it slows down running certain apps. Have any of you experienced any slowdown? I'm wanting to get one soon, but I'm afraid. I really could care less about the rumored 2nd gen, but I don't want to buy a slow iPad. Thanks for any help.

2. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

You'll always get people who like to complain (they were breastfed till they were 5yrs old)
    I'm sure if you find a Lamborghini forum, you'll find owners there saying theirs is slow too. Hah.

I don't find mine slow (iPad, that is. No Lamborghini unfortunately)
    I'm quite impressed with mine and very happy. I've only had mine for 3 weeks tho.
    The orientation sensor is very responsive. Too responsive sometimes. My movies are all high def 1080p and are around 2-3gb each and iPad plays them fine.
    Get one now.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The iPad isn't slow at all. The only slow down I've seen when I'm playing infinity blade and I drop a few fps in an intense battle. They are great devices and it deffinatly isn't slow at all.

4. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

It isn't slow, but buy icab to use as a browser instead of safari, its a much better browser experience :) Proper tabs and a bookmarks bar plus downloads and some uploads :)

I have never had my ipad slow down at all.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The iPad will be like any other computer product back to the late 1970's

You make a machine that people can program and some people will of course, attempt to create some wonderful software on the device that does something.

Naturally some will try and do things almost beyond what it can manage, often we are talking graphics, but we could be talking heavy calculations also.

The machine is not fast enough to run this in a nice way, so these people then fine tune their code to try and get it working at an acceptable speed for the user.

The iPad could be 1/4 the speed or 10x the speed and it would still be fast for some things and not fast enough for others.

You need to think of it the other way round. The machine speed is a fixed thing. It's the software and what people try and do that deems it being fast or slow.

Compared to a modern PC, yes it's slow technically, but the software has been written in a way to make what it does appear quickly.

It's a bit like saying if my bucket big enough, well, yes, if you don't put a lot in it, it's very big, of course there will always people who will try and overfill it and say it's too small.

If it could play Crysis with all effects on at say 60 frames/sec then I'd probably say not many people would complain.

Perhaps in 10 or 15 years it might be able to :)

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The iPad is certainly not slow, however I do notice minor delays. I.E, double tap home button with an app open, it may take up to a second, maybe a second and a half to open vs instant, etc., nothing major. I however, do want a snappier one.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Slow compared to what? I can get it to bog down on some apps and also pause for a few seconds.

I don't have a different device that runs the same apps so I have no idea if it is the app or the device.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be 100% honest.

I was on my iPad last night, and I was typing a post to this forum.

I had quite terrible keyboard stickyness/delays in typing in.

Sometimes, I typed say 3 or 4 character and nothing happened, not even any click sound, and then all 3 or 4 characters appeared on screen at once.

I was only 1 or 2 finger typing as well, so not very quick. Perhaps there is some video/advert on these forums that's slowing down the keyboard input?

1st time I'd experienced it, and to be honest, if I was a fast typer it would of been unusable.

9. ZenErik macrumors 6502

The iPad keyboard responds a bit slow, IMO. Otherwise, no major issues. Some apps are resource hogs. Just make note of which ones. As has been said, I also recommend the iCab browser. :)

10. iNtaCt macrumors member

And don`t forget - less battery usage.

11. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

It depends on which applications you are using.

Since the implementation of the multitasking feature, my iPad found new life and I appreciate it a whole lot more. After deciding that I needed a physical keyboard to appreciate it even more, I have found even more use out of my iPad than ever.

I am constantly writing articles that are of decent length, and replying to emails that need to have a pretty good description in them, in which the on-screen keyboard didn't cut it. After a while of typing, the on-screen keyboard would become slow at some times, but that is the only slow down I have noticed that was too bad.

If you do experience slow downs at all, just restart the iPad or delete all of the applications that are in queue for multitasking.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, whilst the on screen keyboard is great (if you have nothing else to use) you can't beat a real physical keyboard.

What we need really is a physical keyboard attached via a hinge or something :D

13. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Make it a slider. The SlidePad or the iPad Slide. Whatever you want to call it. :p

14. lozpop macrumors 6502

My iPad never slows down. Multitasking is awesome.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What model do you have?

Is it some kind of prototype new model, or have you overclocked it?

Mine is the standard iPad1 model, updated to the latest iOS and never been jailebraoken, so 100% clean and official.

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

But you have to ask yourself if the iPad is really the correct device for you?

Wouldn't a MacBook Air be of more value, considering you need the dedicated keyboard to type?

Just playing the Devil's advocate.

17. Cibbersicks macrumors member

Cibbersicks

Why do Americans say "I could care less"? I've seen it on loads of threads on here.

It makes no sense - surely it should be "I couldn't care less" which is the correct English phrase... It implies you care so little about something you cannot care any less about it.

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

He simply implies that he cares, even just slightly, but that he could care less than he currently does.

I know, he is most likely using it the wrong way, as couldn't care less means you simply do not care about it at all.

Both sayings are correct though, just they are usually used the wrong way ;)

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Again...........

Hopefully this explains this for those people who don't understand why they are using the phrase wrong.

Just watch this video and you will understand :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

20. emmab2006 macrumors member

Never Once been slow or anything . multitasking works perfectly fluid like , typing is the same , no problems .

21. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I just think 4.2 wasn't as iPad optimized as we would have liked to have seen. I imagine we will see an update that can address many bugs and speed issues we are seeing.

22. lozpop macrumors 6502

You're funnier than Jim Carrey.

23. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Heh, thats not saying much.

24. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The iPad is faster than the iPhone 4. If it slows, it is likely due to software being less streamlined. As a whole, the iPad works as well as advertised.

25. Built macrumors 68020