Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Believe it or not - as picky as it sounds - the whole home screen rotation was the reason I took the phone back and got the smaller model instead, I was just annoyed by how many times I had to wrestle with the screen after taking it out my pocket. Auto-Rotate lock was good, but then I constantly forgot to turn it off and wondered why stuff wasn't rotating. A nit pick I know, but a nit pick that was solved by switching to the smaller phone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Believe it or not - as picky as it sounds - the whole home screen rotation was the reason I took the phone back and got the smaller model instead, I was just annoyed by how many times I had to wrestle with the screen after taking it out my pocket. Auto-Rotate lock was good, but then I constantly forgot to turn it off and wondered why stuff wasn't rotating. A nit pick I know, but a nit pick that was solved by switching to the smaller phone.
You took the phone back for a feature it had but didn’t search to find it?
Both phones have always had a lock feature...
like returning an unopened gallon of milk because you don’t know how to open it.

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
Looks like it’s gone in ios 11. My 6s Plus no longer rotates on the home screen, just inside most apps.

Bummer, I actually liked this feature.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Looks like it’s gone in ios 11. My 6s Plus no longer rotates on the home screen, just inside most apps.

Bummer, I actually liked this feature.
Whaaaat?

Attachments

• AEFE9A8D-2C0E-4F90-81DE-3608090FD5A0.jpeg
    AEFE9A8D-2C0E-4F90-81DE-3608090FD5A0.jpeg
    816.8 KB · Views: 311
Reactions: yanki01

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
You can still portrait lock your screen, but the home screen no longer rotates. You can still landscape mode inside most apps, just not the home screen.

edit: Maybe I’ve got a bug in ios 11. I’ve turned the portrait lock on and off and my home screen still won’t rotate. But it still does inside Safari, Notes, Messages, etc.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
You can still portrait lock your screen, but the home screen no longer rotates. You can still landscape mode inside most apps, just not the home screen.
My 7+ rotates on the home screen just fine. Turn it the other way?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 7+ home screen rotates just fine, just as before. You can not lock the home screen in the landscape mode, never been able too. It is all just like iOS10 when it comes to screen rotation from what I can see.

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
My 7+ rotates on the home screen just fine. Turn it the other way?

Had to do a restart to get it working again. Glad to find out it’s still there. Whew!

Now I feel silly... I’d heard that you won’t be able to do it on the iPhone X, and was worried they decided to remove this feature.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL

I hated the home screen rotation on my 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus. I never worried about it after I turned on Display Zoom on my iPhone 6 Plus at Settings -> Display & Brightness -> View. Setting it to “Zoomed” turns off the home screen rotation without having to use rotation lock. That setting stayed with me through my iPhone 7 Plus. I forgot all about it since 2014. That’s awful that you gave up a larger screen, higher resolution, double the pixels, and longer battery life because Apple didn’t make it obvious how to turn it off.

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008

edit: Maybe I’ve got a bug in ios 11. I’ve turned the portrait lock on and off and my home screen still won’t rotate. But it still does inside Safari, Notes, Messages, etc.
My 6S plus home screen still rotates to landscape sounds like you hit a bug
[doublepost=1511591812][/doublepost]
F1B1A58B-CA7B-456C-8F80-C7FFB489C505.png
My 6S plus home screen still rotates to landscape sounds like you hit a bug

See

Ignore the “missing icons on the top row those are blank web icons to push all my icons to the bottom in portrait mode so I can truly one hand my plus phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.