Is the iMac just a glorified laptop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Puevlo, May 20, 2012.

1. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Let's face it the iMac uses a mobile gpu, so-dimm RAM, non-upgradable parts and an under clocked CPU. It's basically a non-portable laptop. You're better off getting a MacBook pro and an external display. At least then you know where you stand.

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean with "under clocked CPU"? The iMac uses desktop CPUs, the same ones you can buy for your own computer.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What's more, for one generation, Apple actually added in a CPU that Intel hadn't released publicly. That CPU had higher clocks than was available.

Besides, the iMac is a consumer device. A mobile GPU covers more than enough bases to satisfy users needs. Sure it's not going to play Crysis 2 at 1440p at 60fps, but it's going to be good enough for most normal tasks.

And here I thought spec wars were over.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Desktop CPU. 3.5" 7200rpm HDD.

The form factor of the RAM doesn't matter - it takes up to 16GB (maybe even 32GB).

It's a mobile graphics card - meh, it's fast as hell for the majority of users.

It's a desktop.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like the iMac isn't for you
    However, it is an excellent choice for many, many folks

15" MacBook Pro w/ 500 GB HD = $1799
    27" Thunderbolt Display = $999
    Total Cost = $2,798

27" iMac w/ 1 TB HD = $1,699

Hmmmm, seems like a no brainer to me

6. leman macrumors 604

7. vixducis macrumors regular

Lets make a small comparison between the high end 27" iMac and the high end 15" MBP + thunderbolt display
    price: €2100 vs €3500
    gpu: 6970M vs 6770M
    cpu : 3,4GHz vs 2,5Ghz
    hdd: 1TB vs 750GB

I really can't understand why you would choose the iMac. Oh wait...

8. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Yes, and? What were you expecting for an AIO such as the iMac?

A moot point, what does it matter? It's fast enough, cheap enough and you can put plenty in there.

Except for the RAM, HDD, CPU, ODD and GPU. Really, the main thing that will stop you from upgrading the components is the fact that you can't change the logic board. Admittedly there's not a lot of point upgrading the CPU or GPU but it's still possible. There's that thing with fans maxing out after a HDD change in 2011 iMacs, so I'll give you that, everything still works though. I've never understood the 'fear' of taking off the glass panel and screen out, just be careful and you'll be fine :confused:

This is just straight out wrong.

It's basically an all-in-one desktop with a mobile GPU and mobile RAM, no surprises here.

I'm guessing this is a feeble troll attempt?

9. Matador Red macrumors member

Troll....or someone trying to justify the portability premium they paid on their MBP.:p

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

And, someone who doesn't understand that it's the physical form-factor that defines the, um, form-factor.

If they really wanted to make a comparison they should have looked at a Mac Mini... much more 'laptop' like. In fact better, unlike a laptop you can pick your own monitor. :)

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The only reason it uses sodimm rather than the desktop flavour it to keep the mounting as shallow as possible.

Other than that it's a desktop in every way.

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You know ? Come to think of it. I have seen a lot of people carrying them into Starbucks.

13. Liquinn Suspended

Portability premium? I have the latest 13" Macbook Pro, Mac Mini and a Thunderbolt Display; it's quite nice to be able to share the screens between two Macs if needed.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

At least they have a user-replaceable battery, though.....;)

15. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A fun troll, though.

But dude you are SOOOO wrong.

An iMac is a glorified iPad. Just wait and see. ;)

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I carry my eMac into McDonalds, today's iMacs are nothing. :p

17. bniu macrumors 6502a

$1100 premium for the ability to take it with you wherever you want, I think that's worth it...

18. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

Honestly, I would have got an iMac IF I had a desk/office and if I had internet to run the wifi for the iPad.

However, one is not limited to an Apple external display - There are plenty of 24" monitors out there that can look just as good for 1/4 the price.

I do think though, that maybe a MBP would be the better option due to the fact you can carry it somewhere if needed. But most time, you could have it docked to a much cheaper display and still come out paying just a couple hundred more (for the monitor/mouse/keyboard) -Thing is, not ALL your accessories have to be the expensive :apple: brand.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This guy is just making more troll threads. The last was that ARM would replace Intel by the next revision. This belongs in the wasteland.

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

Doesn't matter if you think it's worth it not, unless you are a shareholder. In which you would think it's worth it. Apple can't make 'em fast enough so apparently there are lots of people who think it's worth the price.

Besides... how do know it's a premium? Perhaps it is the iMacs that are a terrific deal. In fact, I hear that alot... that the price of the monitor is worth the price alone practically.

21. russofris macrumors regular

An iMac is a rectangle on a stick that runs OSX. The internal components are almost completely arbitrary, though we customers do appreciate the thought and attention that have gone into them. It's one of the best stick-rectangles for the money.

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You need one of two special power extension accessories. The home version is the best except for it is 3 miles (4.82km) in length and takes up the entire trunk (boot) of your car.

The auto version is not bad at only 100 yards (91.4 meters) but it requires that you leave your car running.

Those outlets in Starbucks go fast.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've got a compact pickup, space is no issue. ;) And luckily, as a resident of a small town I live about 2.5 miles from McDonalds. I'll take the home version. :p
    For some I suppose, sure. But there are those of us who to which $1100 is more then a month's pay. I'll take an iMac, thank you.