Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
It is not really portable in the same sense of a laptop :p The iMac has the specs of a family PC computer. Apple just used their minds and made it beautiful instead of a black box from the 50s. You wouldn't go calling a Family PC a glorified laptop, so why call an iMac with the same specs one?

earwax69

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
It's clearly not a glorified laptop as it use a desktop CPU however it's a bit between a laptop and a desktop as it is less upgradable than a custom build PC and it take less place than a bulky desktop case.

I think the Imac is really nice but the glossy screen make it useless for me (Im a motion designer. Need the real colors.)

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
It's clearly not a glorified laptop as it use a desktop CPU however it's a bit between a laptop and a desktop as it is less upgradable than a custom build PC and it take less place than a bulky desktop case.

I think the Imac is really nice but the glossy screen make it useless for me (Im a motion designer. Need the real colors.)

You should be using a spyder calibrator. Honestly the glossy is not as bad as everyone makes out when you have it calibrated properly. I used to be in the same boat as you until my work (graphic design) switched to iMacs from Mac Pros and it is very very close to the print out.

You wouldn't really be wanting an iMac for motion graphics anyway. Mac Pro is for you buddy. You need loads more RAM and way more cores than an iMac provides.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Is the iMac just a glorified laptop?

Maybe the answer to that question depends on your point of view.

Is a filet mignon just glorified hamburger?
Is a Mercedes-Benz just a glorified automobile?

True excellence is a combination of quality components, careful attention to quality, and a thoughtful presentation. The iMac is an elegantly designed all-in-one desktop computer running the best OS available. You get what you pay for. You want to go to McDonald's in your Ford Taurus? Better power off your Dell before you go . . .

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Since the OP's definition of a laptop seems to be, "does it use mobile components?" then I guess it would have to be classified as a laptop for him.

He must have a very strange looking lap. I don't even want to imagine the kind of strippers he finds attractive. :cool:

earwax69

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
"quality components, careful attention to quality, and a thoughtful presentation"

Apple got the thoughtful presentation for sure. I'm less sure about the 2 others. Foxconn parts are far from high quality and I've been the owner of 11 mac computers in the past and ALL of them had problems from disk failures to defective monitors.

I'm using self built i7 machines for work now and I leave Apple to the entertainment side (mini on HDTV, ipad and iphone).

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple got the thoughtful presentation for sure. I'm less sure about the 2 others. Foxconn parts are far from high quality and I've been the owner of 11 mac computers in the past and ALL of them had problems from disk failures to defective monitors.

Which are both not Foxconn parts btw ;) The point is, Apple does not use cheap PSU components, capacitors etc. often found in budget laptop/desktop mainboards. The rest of the components (CPU, RAM, HDD) are obviously the same as in any desktop computer.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Foxconn parts are far from high quality and I've been the owner of 11 mac computers in the past and ALL of them had problems from disk failures to defective monitors.

Foxconn doesn't make disks or monitors. Perhaps you need to be blaming Toshiba or Samsung.

At any rate, I've owned 5 macs over the years, plus another one provided by work, and none of have had component failures.

So, anecdotal evidence aside, maybe you're just mistreating your computers. :)

paulbee

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
$1100 premium for the ability to take it with you wherever you want, I think that's worth it...

You know, for $1100 you could buy a MacBook Air. Or an iPad and more than a year of 4G service. Different people have different needs, but I seldom want to play intensive games at the airport or render video at a coffee shop, so if I were throwing around that kind of money I'd much rather have a desktop and an ultraportable.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Absolutely not. It's much easier to swap out the hard-disk and RAM on a MacBook than on an iMac.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Let's face it the iMac uses a mobile gpu, so-dimm RAM, non-upgradable parts and an under clocked CPU. It's basically a non-portable laptop. You're better off getting a MacBook pro and an external display. At least then you know where you stand.

I have to agree better off getting a MBP

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Doesn't matter if you think it's worth it not, unless you are a shareholder. In which you would think it's worth it. Apple can't make 'em fast enough so apparently there are lots of people who think it's worth the price.

Besides... how do know it's a premium? Perhaps it is the iMacs that are a terrific deal. In fact, I hear that alot... that the price of the monitor is worth the price alone practically.

Sure, the iMac is a great deal and if I didn't need mobility, I'd be all over one right now, believe me! I have to use my MBP for work and school so the best I can do is MBP + ATD to give me iMac experience when I'm at home and a MBP when I'm out and about during the day.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
$1100 premium for the ability to take it with you wherever you want, I think that's worth it...

Oh yeah. And with the extra $1100 I can always get another basic 13" MBP or MBA, which clearly much more portable to accompany the powehouse iMac. So you get TWO computers instead of only MBP. And 1 more thing, iMac still has better GPU than comparable MBP.

Plugging in 15" MBP to ATD doesnt make it a MacPro. It's still the same laptop with linited power in expense for portability.

AND you can always get TB cable, use the iMac as external display just like ATD could. Your argument is a moot point. I dont see any benefit from your scheme.

a.k.a FAIL

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Oh yeah. And with the extra $1100 I can always get another basic 13" MBP or MBA, which clearly much more portable to accompany the powehouse iMac. So you get TWO computers instead of only MBP. And 1 more thing, iMac still has better GPU than comparable MBP.

Plugging in 15" MBP to ATD doesnt make it a MacPro. It's still the same laptop with linited power in expense for portability.

AND you can always get TB cable, use the iMac as external display just like ATD could. Your argument is a moot point. I dont see any benefit from your scheme.

a.k.a FAIL

maybe not for you, I do have uses for my setup. At work, I need to have a giant laptop screen, 1920x1200 not 1280x800, so I can actually work, while at home I like to be plugged in iMac style.

earwax69

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
maybe you're just mistreating your computers

No but I use them a lot. Power user here. It started with graphic design on a PowerPC 8500/150mhz and then 2D/3D animation...

I should of course say that brand PC would also fail as much but in my book nothing beat building your own comp from quality parts. You can really tailor the computer to your needs and make sure the computer can take the stress.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
"quality components, careful attention to quality, and a thoughtful presentation"

I'm using self built i7 machines for work now and I leave Apple to the entertainment side (mini on HDTV, ipad and iphone).

I agree with you here. Detail is great, but qc is.......

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
No, the iMac is much more.

The only advantage the MBP has is portability and built in UPS. The iMac has a bigger screen, more RAM slots, bigger HDD and bigger LCD at a much lower cost.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Where is the downvote button? I see the op got downvoted alot... Want to downvote the op as well

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Let's face it the iMac uses a mobile gpu, so-dimm RAM, non-upgradable parts and an under clocked CPU. It's basically a non-portable laptop. You're better off getting a MacBook pro and an external display. At least then you know where you stand.

why get a macbook pro and external display? there is nothing to gain from it other than portability, and even that isn't a good enough reason as an alternative to the iMac. i think you re also forgetting the vast amount of horsepower of even the base iMac that it has over, lets say the 15" macbook pro, at a cheaper price.

oh, and i have also seen people carry their iMacs into starbucks, so i guess your point on the iMac being portable is a true point :D

Mark D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Nobody seems to be considering that if you "just get an iMac and Air for the same price", it's still two computers. If I just plug into a display, it's exactly the same machine just presented larger and there's no need to rely on a cloud to make sure I have the right things on the right unit. In terms of performance, I believe certainly with the retina model at least that they are pretty much on par with each other, and the iMac is therefore sort of the budget option for people who are willing to always use it in one place. If money is no object, laptops and after-purchase displays are the definitive way forward because it's like having two computers with the ease of use of having just one.

Last edited:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I agree, the iMac is a notebook with a giant screen, but as the same time, its not. The first iMac was achieved by using notebook parts. And the iMac is what changed theindustry and put Apple into business again.

So even tough its my believe the iMac is not as impressive as a current macbook, its historical value ramains and Apple will always produce new generations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.