Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Hello All,

I have an older Mac Pro (Mid 2012 Cheese Grater) with a sapphire 580 pulse card which I bought to upgrade to OS Mojave. As I am sure many of you know with this card I cannot see the boot screen so I cannot use the option to do a recovery to the latest OS that my Mac Pro supports which is Mojave and I also cannot update the firmware due to the card issue. I am looking to do a clean install on a brand new drive and want to make a USB Boot Thumb Drive but can't find the installer anywhere to make this happen. Does anybody know where I can get it?

Thanks!!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello All,

I have an older Mac Pro (Mid 2012 Cheese Grater) with a sapphire 580 pulse card which I bought to upgrade to OS Mojave. As I am sure many of you know with this card I cannot see the boot screen so I cannot use the option to do a recovery to the latest OS that my Mac Pro supports which is Mojave and I also cannot update the firmware due to the card issue. I am looking to do a clean install on a brand new drive and want to make a USB Boot Thumb Drive but can't find the installer anywhere to make this happen. Does anybody know where I can get it?

Thanks!!
I typed "mac os mojave installer download" into Google. This was the first result: How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply "chrfr"....I have done that as well and as well as other many other links on google but all of the ones I hit are either dead or they are now referencing Catalina....

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the reply "chrfr"....I have done that as well and as well as other many other links on google but all of the ones I hit are either dead or they are now referencing Catalina....
The link I posted has specific details on how to get the Mojave installer. Look at step 4.

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Another way that always works is go to apple.com and click on Support. Search for "macos mojave installer".

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

levanid

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
When you will be doing a clean install of Mojave from USB drive it would likely notify you that "installer is damaged" this is due to Mojave being outdated according to Apple
To workaround that make sure to turn off WiFi in recovery window
Then open utilities - terminal and set date to something close to Mojave latest release date, like:
Code:
date 080910002019
then close terminal and start your installation

GForensic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Thank you all for the responses!

I have tried these links repeatedly over and over even before posting here. For some reason on my Mac Pro when I hit these links and head to the app store it only shows Catalina. If I do a search in the app store for "Mac OS Mojave" I just get a couple of utilities that show up and not the actual download. Extremely weird! I am running High Sierra with the latest updates. No clue what is going on here but its pretty messed up! I'll keep trying...thanks for all of your help!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

I have tried these links repeatedly over and over even before posting here. For some reason on my Mac Pro when I hit these links and head to the app store it only shows Catalina. If I do a search in the app store for "Mac OS Mojave" I just get a couple of utilities that show up and not the actual download. Extremely weird! I am running High Sierra with the latest updates. No clue what is going on here but its pretty messed up! I'll keep trying...thanks for all of your help!
Are you saying that when you go to the suggested link "https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190" and scroll down to step #4 then click on the highlighted link, it takes you to a Catalina download?
Not likely...
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 6.57.58 AM.png

NCnewbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017

I had a similar issue last week when I tried to update my old 2010 MBP from Yosemite (don't laugh). All the links I found in various support pages kept taking me to Catalina. Through a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to install Sierra, and then High Sierra. I read somewhere to check in the App Store under the "Purchased" tab (just to the left of Updates). That didn't work, but then I went back through my Downloads folder and deleted any previous files with names Mojave or High Sierra, and then I went to the Applications folder and deleted anything that said "Install Mojave" or "Install High Sierra." After a few reboots, and searching, eventually the App Store page for macOS High Sierra reappeared, and I was able to download and install it from there. Sorry I don't have a more precise method to share, but this eventually worked. Good luck!

Reactions: jpinneo

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Are you saying that when you go to the suggested link "https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190" and scroll down to step #4 then click on the highlighted link, it takes you to a Catalina download?
Not likely...
View attachment 908810
I am also trying to upgrade to Mojave, I followed this link, and it appears to show an upgrade to Mojave, but when you click "Open" it then opens a box which says Install Catalina, not what I want. The same thing happens with the Mojave link in post 8.
Any other suggestions please?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I am also trying to upgrade to Mojave, I followed this link, and it appears to show an upgrade to Mojave, but when you click "Open" it then opens a box which says Install Catalina, not what I want. The same thing happens with the Mojave link in post 8.
Any other suggestions please?
What is your default web browser?
If it is not Safari, then switch to Safari for the "Default web browser:" (System Preferences...>General) and try it as a test with the Step 4 Mojave link from Post 8.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks, my default browser is Safari, and I have tried both links with exact same result.
Check your Applications folder to see that there are no "Install xxx" (xxx = macOS name) in the folder. Make sure you have no external drives connected that have a macOS installer app in them.

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Another method which does work, just tried it myself before making this post...
download and run DosDude's patcher for Mojave,
and from the Tools menus select download Mojave.
This wil get you a virgin copy of the Mojave installation file which you can use to install Mojave, no need for any patches if you are installing on to a supported system.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Check your Applications folder to see that there are no "Install xxx" (xxx = macOS name) in the folder. Make sure you have no external drives connected that have a macOS installer app in them.
I have checked, there were 3 for Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. I have deleted the first two, but Catalina won't because it says it is "Open".
Many thanks, I found three Install files, I deleted them, and then Mojave downloaded just fine, and I have now started the Install. Fingers crossed! Will let you know the outcome.
Edit, ignore the first bit, I started to post then found why Catalina was Open!

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I have checked, there were 3 for Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. I have deleted the first two, but Catalina won't because it says it is "Open".

Many thanks, I found three Install files, I deleted them, and then Mojave downloaded just fine, and I have now started the Install. Fingers crossed! Will let you know the outcome.
Edit, ignore the first bit, I started to post then found why Catalina was Open!
Install has gone through OK, thanks for your help.

Reactions: CoastalOR

jpinneo

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
I had a similar issue last week when I tried to update my old 2010 MBP from Yosemite (don't laugh). All the links I found in various support pages kept taking me to Catalina. Through a bit of trial and error, I was finally able to install Sierra, and then High Sierra. I read somewhere to check in the App Store under the "Purchased" tab (just to the left of Updates). That didn't work, but then I went back through my Downloads folder and deleted any previous files with names Mojave or High Sierra, and then I went to the Applications folder and deleted anything that said "Install Mojave" or "Install High Sierra." After a few reboots, and searching, eventually the App Store page for macOS High Sierra reappeared, and I was able to download and install it from there. Sorry I don't have a more precise method to share, but this eventually worked. Good luck!

Bless you - Mohave is downloading finally. much appreciated information!!

joe987

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2020
I am having a similar issue. Trying to find a Mojave download and whenever I click on it on the Apple website it takes me to Catalina in the app store. I really want to upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave to get the Logic update but do not want to move to Catalina.

Can anyone help? I cannot find any 'Install High Sierra' or 'Intsall Mojave' in applications.

Thank you

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I am having a similar issue. Trying to find a Mojave download and whenever I click on it on the Apple website it takes me to Catalina in the app store. I really want to upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave to get the Logic update but do not want to move to Catalina.

Can anyone help? I cannot find any 'Install High Sierra' or 'Intsall Mojave' in applications.

Thank you
Try this link from the Mojave unsupported thread installer app. I used it to download the latest copy of Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.