Is The iPad 2 Display Bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mumty, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting an iPad 2 for XMas and wanted to know, is the display bad? I love my iPhone 4 display, I know the iPads display is lower but by how much? If you compare iPhone 4 and iPad 2 side by side, is there a huge difference?

2. realitycheck69 macrumors member

It's about 1/3 the pixel density. Wait for gen 3 if you must have an ipad.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

I read on it fine...but you will definitely notice a difference if you also have an iPhone.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Go to an Apple Store and try one out?

It's 40% of the iPhone 4's PPI, but you'll probably hold it further away from you than a phone anyway.

5. Mumty thread starter macrumors newbie

No Apple Store in Ireland :(
    Its not like I'll be reading books on it, but I want to know if its bad to notice while playing games and internet. But I suppose the speed will make up for that.

6. mwulf67 macrumors regular

No, the display is not bad...yes, it is less than the iPhone, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad....you will only be bothered by the different if you want to be bothered the difference...

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

there is a difference but the only surefire way to know if it matter enough for you is to look at one in a store or retailer. if there aren't any nearby, there's always the option that you buy one and just return it for a full refund if it's not up to your expectations.

all the opinions in the forum aren't really going to be enough...

----------

a faster rendering of a webpage isn't going to matter if the PPI is not high enough for you for text sharpness. games will probably be ok even at the lower density because the screen size is so much bigger than an iphone hence you'll be able to more easily see everything in the overall 'view'.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There are plenty shops in Dublin/Cork/Limerick (at least) which are Apple Premium resellers and are set up much the same as official Apple Stores; so there are lots of places you can go to try one out.

I have an iPhone 3G & iPad 2, so I don't have the 'step down' in pixel density every time I go from the phone to the tablet; still I can honestly say I've never said "I wish the display was sharper". I'd be more worried about the backlight bleeding through than the pixel density.

9. Vindicator macrumors member

IMO game, photo, video is the least noticeable type
    Most noticeable is something have a lot of text like ebook

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have iPhone 4s and iPad 2. iPhone 4s may have more pixel density, but the screen is so small compared to the iPad, I prefer to use the iPad 2 for everything from games to movies to reading. Clear screen does nothing if the details are too small to see!

11. matttye macrumors 601

Looks great to me. I don't have an iPhone to compare though.

12. jmjoh122 macrumors member

jmjoh122

I like the screen just fine. I read on both my ipad and my iphone 4. I like the bigger screen i don't think that you need a whole lot of PPI for reading. I get a headache after just an hour of reading on my iphone due to screen size. Both can get the job done.

13. Marli macrumors regular

Yes the ipad could do with a higher res screen. Reading small text is not a good experience.

I will trade the ipad2 for a 3 as soon as it hits the stores(if it has a better screen)

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have both, iPhone and iPad
    And I don't have any issues or complaints about the screen
    Sure, if the new iPad has a better screen that will be great
    But I read on my iPad now with no problems

15. mertyz macrumors regular

mertyz

It's nowhere near being bad, really. I don't think I need a higher-PPI screen at all, so I bought an iPad 2 last week.

16. IsaacM macrumors regular

The screen is amazing. The iPhone benefits from the retina because you can read really smart text without zooming in.

On the ipad, you rarely zoom in because the screen is so large.

I'd say the screen is spot on.

17. aph3x macrumors member

I'm an iPad 2 owner and also have an iPhone 4S (after upgrading from the 4) and I have to say that the difference doesn't bother me. I do a LOT of reading on the iPad (I prefer the Kindle app).

That said, I would still get the iPad 3 if it came out with a better screen but for some reason I really don't see an iPad with a 4x iPhone Retina display coming out.

18. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

You will be able to try one out in a mobile phone shop surely? Have you never seen an iPad?

19. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

How long you been having the iPhone ? At first for some reason ( or at least for me I was ) after owning the iPhone 4S and playing with it for a while and went back to my iPad 2 I start using it too closed to my eyes and the pixels where driving me nuts( specially in the home screen or split keyboard) anyways I realized is a big screen and wast meant to be right next to your face , I like my ipad much faster to get work done instead of my laptop and playing games like Infiniti blade 2 and racing games is great :) and you can do web browsing and reading books or articles do much easier

20. Mumty thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used one before in Dublin but only for a few minutes so I couldnt judge it properly.

21. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I think the screen is very good. Of course not as crisp as the iPhone, but games/photos/videos are hardly noticeable.

I notice a difference with text, especially when you do the "zoom-in" to move the cursor in a sentence.

However, I do a lot of reading on the iPad and I think it is very good for that. I am not sure if I will upgrade when the 3 comes out (which I don't think will be in march if it is going to have everything I would like to have in it), since I am perfectly happy with the iPad 2.

If I were you I would go ahead and get the iPad. Noone outside Apple knows when the 3 will be released. I will say though, I am not a patient person so that would play into my decision.

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I love the screen on my iPad 2. I advise anyone who can afford one to get one.

You just have to ask yourself, can you live with the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out? Personally, I will be selling my iPad 2 when the announcement for the iPad 3 is made. But thats just me.
    What I will say though, is if you are going to get the iPad 2, do it now.

23. TLewis macrumors 65816

Are there nearby stores that sell netbooks/laptops? Assuming I've done my math correctly, a 12" laptop with a typical 1366x768 display has a similar pixel density to a 10" iPad2. You should be able to look at one of those to see if the pixel density will bother you.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Screens have many other qualities other than pixel density that affect how viewable they are. Brightnesss, contrast, color quality, glare, viewable angle, etc, etc. So I don't think looking at another tablet or laptop screen with a similar pixel density is very helpful in getting an idea of whether or not an iPad screen might work for you. It's just one of those things where you have to try it for yourself. Even if a forumfull of posters say it works for them, there's a chance that it doesn't work for you, and vice versa.

25. dgreen1069 macrumors newbie

I agree 100%. I bought an iPad 2 recently, but took it back on the 14th day. The display looked great while playing games and watching videos. I wanted to use it primarily for reading and web surfing, and I found the display disappointing compared to my iPhone 4. I decided to wait until the iPad 3 comes out.....hopefully it will have a retina display!