Is the iPad 2 undervalued?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JediZenMaster, Jul 28, 2011.

1. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

So i ended up getting a 64 GB iPad from my parents as a gift and i've been trying to sell my 16Gb one for like 450 bucks. And i cannot believe that the people on craigslist are offering 200 and 300 bucks.

I know that it's been only a few months since its been released but the value hasn't dropped that much for it or has it?

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm assuming that the 16GB is an iPad 1 and the 64GB one is an iPad 2?

Apple was selling the iPad 1 16GB model for $399 just after iPad 2 was launched to get rid of stock. So I would have thought that somewhere in the region of $300 would be reasonable price for a used one now, about 6 months down the road. I wouldn't go as low as 200 though.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Current price for a new 16g is $499. I think you are being unrealistic about your pricing.

4. JediZenMaster thread starter macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Its an 16 GB iPad 2. I should have been clear about that :D

5. JediZenMaster thread starter macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

How is that being unrealistic for a mint condition iPad 2?

6. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

... Because it's used. Electronics cannot truly be "mint condition" -- while the appearance may look nice, the components have been thoroughly used.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No way in hell would I pay that much for something I could get brand new for only $50 more.

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

In that case I would think somewhere in between 350 and 450, depending on its age.

Some would argue, that an electronic product that has been used for a couple of weeks actually is more valuable than one that's come fresh from the manufacturing plant. Electronic products tend to follow a bathtub-curve which describes their reliability, so products that have been "worn in" so to speak are less likely to fail until their end of life compared to brand new ones.

Unfortunately though for the OP, not many people would argue this case. :)

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Where moving parts are concerned (HDD, optical drives) I'd agree. For a device like the iPad it's less of a concern.

10. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i dont think people would risk getting ripped off and no warranty to save 50 bucks when they can get brand new for 50 bucks more and a warranty to boot. its just not worth it. people dont care what you paid for it. they want a good deal and it has to be worth the risk of dealing with someone besides apple. i think you could get like 400 for it. since its a ipad 2 not ipad 1. ipad 1 was selling 16gb for 350 for while. you should at least get 50 more for the ipad 2.

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Warranty follows the ipad and is tied to the serial number.

I think $450 is fair. If it has 4.3.3 it could be more valuable as it would be jailbreakable.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

What matters is what people are willing to pay, and apparently you haven't yet found someone willing to shell out almost new cash for an iPad that isn't new.

So, you can either stick to your guns if you aren't in a hurry to sell, or drop your price by $50 and see what happens.

13. sbddude macrumors 6502a

That's just the way craigslist works.

Pick one:
    Sell fast for low price
    Sell slowly for higher price.

you can help your cause by having clear pictures, accurate description and easy contact information.

14. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

i think he'll need to price it around $400 for anyone to be interested as a lot of retailers have available stock and ordering from apple is 3-4 delivery days. ironically, the 4.3.3 jailbreak option could make it attractive to a certain type of customer once all the stock ipads are delivered with later versions, but not everyone is interested in JB-ing their ipads.

15. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you guys pay tax on the advertised price any more? So 499 + 15% tax is 573, offering it at 450 including tax therefore doesn't sound too bad as a starting price for negotiations...

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

Sales taxes in the USA range from 0% (Oregon) to close to 10%stay in states like Tennessee and California.

Factor in that ipad 2 supplies have caught up to demand in USA.

There are always low.ballers on craigslist. It doesn't hurt to low ball. The worst the seller will say is No. If seller writes on ad they want $450to or best offer. But than add no low balling that will just rid of of the sniffers out there

As a savvy craigslist buyer. The going price for a mint condition ipad 2 16gb Wifi with all the originally package is around $400 at this time to low

The iPad doesn't maintain priced well once supply catches up to demand.

17. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Try eBay, I see them for higher than that. They should go for bout 100-150 less

18. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

heck i might even buy it over paypal for 400.... just let me know... hehehe

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

A used 16GB iPad 2?

I can't imagine spending more than 350 dollars or so. The minute you open the box, it is used, and who knows what kind of stuff you might have spilled on it (an example of something that might void the warranty). Speaking from the perspective of the buyer, it is a far better deal to pay a bit more to get a new unit that is definitely covered under warranty.

You might get more for it. I don't know. But, I usually figure about 3/4 price for any used electronic item. If it were March or February, maybe 400. But now? The iPad2 is well into its product lifecycle and there are rumors of something this fall.

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

There's a sucker born every minute...

It might take time but someone will buy it at your asking price. Places like CL are visited by people looking to get some steal of a deal.