All iPads Is the iPad 4 really that much better than the 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EternalStutter, Jul 31, 2013.

1. EternalStutter macrumors newbie

I've had an iPad 2 for about year now. For those who went from a 2 to a 4, was it worth it?

2. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

I went from iPad 1 to iPad 3 (so also 2 generations and non-Retina to Retina). The Retina screen alone would have been worth it for me. As always, it also depends on your usage profile.

The 2 still seems to have the longest battery run time (even more so, if you have version 2,4) and is the thinnest / lightest one. If you don't mind that, the jump should be a noticeable one.

However I'd recommend to wait a little longer. iPad 5 is just around the corner, so when it appears, you can either get the newest one directly (which is said to feature a serious weight and size reduction) or can buy the 4 for a reduced price.

3. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I went from 1 to a 4. It's a night and day difference. Retina display is awesome. Text is clean and crisp. I also went from 32 to 64Gb, and I use them. I concur with the previous poster, wait a little while to see what the five offers. I perfer the new Lightning connector over the 30 pin.

4. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

I have a 2 and my daughter has a 4 so I have had the opportunity to do some serious at home comparisons and I will admit that the display on the 4 is very nice but as far as speed goes I tried opening several apps and loading Safari up and there is no real world difference from what I could tell. I'm thinking that the speed upgrade would be more evident perhaps on a game or something more graphics intensive. My conclusion, if you didn't have one the 4 would be the way to go but there is no way I could justify a new one based on the screen alone. I also have a Nexus 7 which has a very nice display and was only $ 200.00 so at least I have a device besides my iPhone that has a nice display to look at. As always your mileage may vary!

Take care...........

5. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

I've owned an iPad 2 (32 GB; Wi-Fi only) for over 2 years and have no big need to switch at the moment - the specs for the various models are HERE - when the iPad 4 was released, I did consider upgrading for two main reasons, i.e. the retina display & a much better rear camera but neither were a necessity for me. But, I will consider the next model if newer or additional features attract me. :)

6. johnseattle macrumors member

without a doubt. Retina alone is enough, the iPad 2's screen is a joke compared to the 3/4

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    iPad 2, 32GB/3G. Still works perfectly and I see no reason to switch to a 4 at this time.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have an iPad 2 right now I am not ready for 4 but I will upgrade to 5 when I see new features iPad 5 have to offer. :apple:

9. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I went from a 1 to a 4. 16gb to 64gb.

The jump to retina was amazing. Everything seems so much clearer and brighter. The apps look great and movies are crisp. For the same form factor I think 2-4, the retina and speed bump would be great.

I think you should hold out on the 4 and see the 5 first. Then when 5 comes out, you can pick up a 4 for less.

10. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I would be keeping the 2 for now, the 3/4 are too heavy and get too hot.

11. wb123 macrumors newbie

I have the two, the girlfriend has the four.

Were mine to die I would certainly replace it with another two rather than a four.

The four doesn't play at all nicely with air display (something which I use a lot), overheats frequently when used outdoors in summer and shuts itself off, and eats through its battery at a spectacular rate. Frankly I'm not all that impressed by the screen either, it is certainly sharp but the text also appears narrower. Perhaps some fiddling with the settings would help but I prefer web browsing on the two. Reading pdfs with lots of small text is however nicer on the four.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Main concern for me on the 3/4 is the heat problem. My ipad 2 never seem to get hot with me playing non-stop 2-3 hours on graphic intensive games or just watching youtube. I believe if i gets too hot and stuck in a thick case like the one i have, it could effect the screen durabiility and battery life.

Ipad 5 is sure interesting to wait for but if it look exactly like 2/3/4 with only spec bump then i would stay clear off.

13. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

A joke? Your comment is a joke... The screen is fine, and especially the battery of the 2 is very nice.

14. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Functionally there is no difference. From a user experience however, there is a massive difference. Screen is a joy and performance is noticeably improved - more by the memory than cpu grunt imho. If the screen and performance are fine for you then I would consider a mini over a 2 any day for the cost saving and portability.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

There's a chance the iPad 2 gets discontinued once the iPad 5 shows up, so if you wait that long you may have to pick up a refurb. I don't see a problem with that, but some people do care.

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

She must have a defective iPad. The iPad 4 works exactly the same as all other iPads using AirPlay, and the battery life is also very good.

I had an iPad 3 and it didn't really heat up the way people are making it out. and the iPad 5 is expected (pretty much certain) to look like the iPad mini, weigh considerably less, dual speakers and upgraded internals.

I'm sorry but it weighs 51g more than the iPad 2. You can't really notice the difference in real world usage. And no, they don't get too hot.

I doubt they will continue to sell the iPad 2 once the iPad 5 is released. If only just to get rid of the 30-pin connector.

To the OP, I'd recommend waiting until the iPad 5 is released.

17. JohnGrey macrumors 6502

JohnGrey

Depends on what you use it for. If you're in the general (music, short-term web browsing) or social use (messaging, facebook, etc.) profiles then there's really no reason to move on from the 2. However, if you're in the visual media consumption (eBooks, iTunes video, YouTube, etc.) or long-term browsing profiles, I very much recommend it. Of course, a lot of it depends on your prior exposure to retina-class displays. If you've had frequent exposure to them, as I have, then it can make a difference. I find non-retina display to be intolerably smeary messes.

18. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Yes 2 is slow and does not have retina. But at this point I would hold out for 5.

19. MLAM macrumors regular

Given that we are in August now and with the iPad 5 unlikely to be no more than 8 weeks away I would hold off buying one regardless of what we think as you will have another option on the table when the new one does arrive :)

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Skip 3 and 4 and go with 5 and keep 2 for now.

21. johnseattle macrumors member

Sorry if that offended you. I stated it as my opinion which is what the majority of the posts are here.

22. calvol macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with 2, waiting to see specs on 5. I like the 2's thinner, lighter form, and longer battery. Hope the 5 has a microSD slot!

23. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have the 2 and I'm surprised how well it has hold up. Had it for over 2 years, battery still great, does everything just fine (except taking good pictures).
    I think the retina display is way nicer though. I read a lot of books on it and for that I wish I had the 4, but as the 2 does everything so well still I will save money towards a new Mac Pro instead of getting a new ipad

24. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Dude, you're defending a tablet as though it were your child...think how silly that sounds. Calm down and take a deep breath.

25. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Did you misquote, or what are you talking about. I just said the display isn't as bad as that guy said. It's far from being "a joke", that's all.

Maybe you should take a deep breath ;-) Chill.