Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcarter2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I currently have an iPad 2 which was the thinnest and lightest full size iPad prior to the iPad Air. I'm considering an upgrade to the iPad Air primarily due to the retina display and performance issues but I just want to know if the difference in weight is noticeable in day to use since I couldn't tell that much of a difference in the store. I'm also hesitant to upgrade because while my iPad 2 isn't the gaming monster it once was, it's still fast enough to keep up with iOS 7 at a decent pace, and the fact that Apple still sells the iPad 2 means that I'll be getting software upgrades for the foreseeable future. Because of this, and the fact that the next iPad will probably include the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, I'm hesitant about the upgrade.

TLDR: Are the size, performance, camera, and screen gains over the iPad 2 large enough to justify an upgrade from an iPad 2 that doesn't scream, but still runs perfectly fine.

ivada

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
I currently have an iPad 2 which was the thinnest and lightest full size iPad prior to the iPad Air. I'm considering an upgrade to the iPad Air primarily due to the retina display and performance issues but I just want to know if the difference in weight is noticeable in day to use since I couldn't tell that much of a difference in the store. I'm also hesitant to upgrade because while my iPad 2 isn't the gaming monster it once was, it's still fast enough to keep up with iOS 7 at a decent pace, and the fact that Apple still sells the iPad 2 means that I'll be getting software upgrades for the foreseeable future. Because of this, and the fact that the next iPad will probably include the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, I'm hesitant about the upgrade.

TLDR: Are the size, performance, camera, and screen gains over the iPad 2 large enough to justify an upgrade from an iPad 2 that doesn't scream, but still runs perfectly fine.

Yes

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Yes 2

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
There will always be a new version on the horizon! Your iPad 2 is a fine device but if you've been clinging to it as the thinnest & lightest it's time to get an Air. I can't imagine how Touch ID will significantly enhance the iPad experience. It's a cool feature but, IMO not a game changer.

mrcarter2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2013
There will always be a new version on the horizon! Your iPad 2 is a fine device but if you've been clinging to it as the thinnest & lightest it's time to get an Air. I can't imagine how Touch ID will significantly enhance the iPad experience. It's a cool feature but, IMO not a game changer.

I know, but I have a very long Apple ID password and Touch ID seems worth just for that feature alone. I also think I might be able to squeeze another year outta my ipad, especially since I have a MacBook Pro and an iphone 5 to kind of alleviate its shortcomings. The main thing I'm truly salivating over is the Retina Display, and I'm not entirely sure I can go another year without one :(

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I know, but I have a very long Apple ID password and Touch ID seems worth just for that feature alone. I also think I might be able to squeeze another year outta my ipad, especially since I have a MacBook Pro and an iphone 5 to kind of alleviate its shortcomings. The main thing I'm truly salivating over is the Retina Display, and I'm not entirely sure I can go another year without one :(

I wouldn't hold out for TouchID. It's great on the phone where I'm in and out dozens of times per day, and it's important because the phone goes absolutely everywhere with me. The ipad is a less frequent traveler, I open it many fewer times per day, and TouchID would just get in the way of the magnetic unlock. I've also not been able to verify one iTunes Store purchase yet with TouchID on my phone...

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Was definitely worth it for me. I made a couple visits to the apple store to check out the Demi units before I went for it. I was more certain about it each visit.

iono11200

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
The best description I've read yet goes like this. If you can afford it, BUY IT. If you can't afford it, don't pick it up or you WILL be broke. Certainly applies for the 2 Airs I bought last week. They are beautiful amazing devices in my opinion.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Another iPad 2 upgrader here,

Yes,

Although, since you've made it this long, another year for Touch ID and more ram?

mrcarter2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys! I guess it really just boils down to whether I think my iPad will be able to survive for another year. I'll go to the apple store again this weekend to check out the iPad Air again. Again, thanks for all the help!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
iPad 2 upgrader here. Love my Air! No regrets at all.

I approve this message. Me too. Loved my 2 but it's my daughters now and I've moved onto the Air. Very big upgrade, IMO. I'm glad I skipped the 3rd & 4th gen devices. They were great and all but this upgrade is the perfect transition for me. I bet I'll stay with this for a few generations too.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I came from the iPad 2 and I think it's a great update. No Touch ID doesn't bother me as I use the Smart Cover so don't use a pass code anyway.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I have an iPhone 4S 32gb on T-mobile $30. I've had two years since launch not one problem never been to the apple store or restored also an iPad 2 3G 16gb since launch that works beautifully also. Both are JB. I need help I can only afford one new device which should I get iPhone 5S, iPad Air, or Retina Mini?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Hold a new Air and use it. Your answer will be instantaneous. Yes of course it is worth the upgrade.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Like you I am having the same dillema. I also have a iPad 2 works fine with ios 7 I love touch ID on my iphone 5s, So I am too thinking of holding off for ipad air 2. Actually Cnet got a article why not to upgrade to ipad Air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.