Is the ipad just a toy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trance, May 21, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

Could the ipad be useful for students or work with the pages app?

anyone use an ipad for school or work?

2. ani23 macrumors 6502

Ain't a notebook replacement for students.

But definitely not a toy

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Not just a toy. With a Bluetooth keyboard, you could most definitely type long papers on it (obviously you could do the same thing with the on-screen keyboard, but my guess is that it would take much longer and there would be more typing errors).

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I can't think of a better way to read and annotate PDFs related to my research and easily be able to carry them all with me and email my annotations to professors and quickly look up documentation and... You get the idea.

It's definitely more than just a toy, but how much you'll be able to take advantage of it depends on what kinds of things you need to do.

As far as typing up papers, it's definitely less powerful than a full laptop, but it's also definitely capable. And personally, I find the touch keyboard easier to type on than any netbook keyboard I've tried.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Definitely not a toy for a lot of people. I use it for work and school all the time.

For school:

-I use it as an eReader, its much easier to carry digital versions of books like OpenGL SuperBible or Game Coding Complete than it is to carry the full versions. Its great to use the iPad as a second screen while I'm coding on my laptop.

-I use it as a digital portfolio. Its great to be able show people small game examples, photos, art, and other things I do on it.

-I'll write papers on it. Back at my last job I was severely limited on the amount of weight I could carry to and from my work site so Id pack my iPad and bluetooth keyboard. I could use internet, IM, Pages, etc and type my papers on it.

For work:

-This is double dipping but the portfolio thing applies here too.

6. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

it's by no means a requirement for anything as things that students might do could be done on a computer ... yes its a toy. a really nice toy.

8. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Yes,it is mostly a toy. Typing long papers on a touchscreen isn't very fun then there's the whole issue with the ipad being tied to the app store with no easy way to access expandable storage like USB keys that are common in business settings. Oh and don't forget the lack of flash which is also commonly used in many enterprise websites and web apps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It's by no means "necessary," but no tablet is "necessary" yet. I think it's kind of silly to call it a toy, though, when it can be far more convenient than a laptop for lots of non-"toy" purposes.

10. Marli macrumors regular

Yes it's a toy if you are looking for anything serious. I tried to use it instead of a laptop, but there are just far to many restrictions, even for the simplest tasks..

11. DeanSolecki macrumors member

I have an Asus 1005HAB and an iPad 2 and I'm kind of curious as to what netbooks you've used that were harder to type on than a touchscreen? I have a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, but editing typos, etc. requires touching the screen and it is often awkward to do so. Also generally editing with the touch interface takes significantly longer than it would with a mouse/keyboard combo. The netbook wins hands down for ease of use.

ANY kind of heavy text entry I'd rather do on a netbook/notebook/desktop. I think this is generally true for everyone.

Browsing the net is the iPad's strongest selling point. If you do that for some business/school related task then maybe it is convenient to carry less bulk. It's still pretty unnecessary unless you only have a desktop, though.

I don't think it's terribly important whether you call it a toy or a tool. It's a bit of both.

12. zetsurin macrumors regular

I think it's mostly a toy. I love it, but it's still mostly a toy.

Doing any serious document preparation will be a frustrating exercise requiring repeating attacks of the solitary home button jumping between applications trying to copy vis the keyboard, hoping it stays there, and whole you do that you will be wondering if the app you are about to jump back to hasn't lost it's place in the process (eg. Safari deciding it's had enough and reloading pages, etc). So compiling research/facts/whatnot would be tedious.

A traditional laptop or desktop would be far better suited to the tasks of writing/research etc.

The thing that the iPad is really useful for still tends to be media consumption (games/surfing/music/etc). It will always fall short in terms of content creation, barring some rare exceptions.

13. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

There's nothing to say the iPad can't be applied to work… With the right apps, it can really be applied to any task for which a touchscreen interface is well suited. There are some very creative developers out there discovering great practical uses for it all the time.

But for my money, if you're typing essays, a laptop is the better suited tool for the task.

In terms of the iPad being a toy, it is that too, but you ought to take out the word 'just'. We all need entertaining diversions from time to time, and the iPad excels at that. :)

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Mostly the Asus Eee PC line. The keyboards were just too small, whereas the keys on the iPad software keyboard are pretty much the same size as a regular laptop keyboard. I agree selection is a bit more difficult without arrow keys, but for straight-up typing, I'm better on the iPad's (landscape) touch keyboard than the undersized netbook keyboards I've tried, and better on a full-size laptop keyboard than either of them. If you have a larger netbook with a full notebook-sized keyboard, then I'm not talking about that.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A toy for most but a tool for some

For me its a tool that allows me to do some light work with the need of a laptop

16. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I just don't get the problem with the onscreen keyboard, I have done heaps of my uni assignments on my ipad using the on screen keyboard. In fact currently due to a health reason it is my -preferred- way to do assignments. I don't find it any slower or less accurate. You just need to take the time to retrain yourself to use it.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

18. Firestrife macrumors member

Firestrife

It really depends on what your doing. Some people and I included plan on try using it for Music Producing and/or Mixing using TouchOSC. So I think it can plays multiple roles.

19. bmat macrumors 6502

It is both for me. I use it at work for work, and I use it for fun elsewhere. That said, it is more of a toy to me than my iPhone.

20. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

What's app did you use for take a notes?

21. henchman macrumors 6502a

It's not a toy if you need it for a specific reason.
    Which it was for me. I discovered varios other extremely useful that save me time.

If you want one just because it might be cool, then yes, it would be a toy.

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Depends---

When the first iPad came out I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. Then I realized that the iPad actually does all the things I was using a laptop for anyway.

Long story short, my laptop now has a new home with the person I sold it to, and I'm using my iPad instead. Haven't missed my laptop for one second yet. What I have now is really a mobile computer that is way easier than a laptop to use on planes and trains, way more fun than an iPhone to enjoy media (due to the bigger screen), and way more fun than a kindle as an e reader.

23. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

If you have a nice desktop, it sure is a notebook replacement.

It's not a 'truck' computer replacement, but if some people would take the time out and learn how to use it, it makes a nice supplement.

24. jrko macrumors regular

YES!! Its a toy I use for work!

It makes work a treat rather than a chore

25. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Not just a toy. The best toy ever! :) I do use my iPad for short reports and papers for work, but it's largely for personal use as a web browser, email client, e-reader, portable gaming console, digital picture frame, and media player (Netflix, YouTube, etc). Even as a toy, it's well worth the price of admission.