iPad Is the iPad mini screen 'really' dull?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fireball Dragon, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

It would be great if all those who have actually compared the retina mini and Air screens could comment here.

I currently have both on order, and will only be keeping one.

Is the Air screen genuinely superior to the retina mini? And is the retina screen really as washed out and yellow as people claim?

Honest answers please. Thanks.

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I have had both and the mini screen is better in my opinion. The Air screen had some serious issues that I couldn't justify for $800+. I have no idea about color "gamut" (the new buzz word on here that no one really understands - they just read it somewhere) but the overall quality seems to be higher.

4. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

The colors on the Air do look a bit more saturated but obviously when using the devices separately you won't notice anything.

I'm staying with the mini retina.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I compared the mini to the Air in store at full brightness. The Air screen appears slightly more saturated and gives an extra 'pop' because of that. I actually believe the mini screen looks more natural to me but of course that is just too devices. Different machines may have a differently sourced screen so it's almost a moot point until you have one in your possession.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

From what i've read, it seems similar to the issues the first iPad Mini suffered from.

Duller colours, less contrast etc etc. To sum it up in a word I would say MUTED.

The Air display is more vibrant and accurate.

However, if you don't have them side by side to compare, you would find it hard to complain about the Retina Mini display.

7. syd430 Guest

Yes the Mini definitely has low gamut whereas my Air has its gamut cranked up to 100, from what I can tell. My advice is, if you want a gamuty ipad (I.e gamut levels over 99) then the Air is really the only way to go. It has by far the most gamuts per inch.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yay! It's the gamut! :p

Honestly, comparing two devices side by side is a bit pointless. I almost would prefer to hear from rMini owners who've never seen an Air. How does it look?

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

10. bwsteg macrumors 6502

The colors looks for vivid and brighter on the air. The mini gives out that dull look similar to the non-retina mini...

11. zbarvian macrumors 68010

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or maybe it's the camera? :confused:

13. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Thats probably more reasonable.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are going to believe people online who claim the rMini screen is dull, washed out and yellowed why would you then believe people who say the opposite? Plenty of people in this very forum have praised the rMini screen.

Do yourself a favor and just go to a store and look at it for yourself. The thing about the Internet is we don't know who is writing -- people with ridiculous high expectations, people with cataracts, people who have never seen an rMini but are bored and want to stir the pot.

That is my honest answer, but I do love my rMini.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

He didn't say what the screen brightness was on each.

The few reviews I've seen so far didn't mention the mini screen looking "washed out" or "dull". Of course they weren't AnandTech style reviews but if the min screen is that blah it would have to pop up in someone's review.

16. wild05kid05 macrumors newbie

The iPad 3, 4, Air and iPhone 5,5s,5c have full 100 percent standard Color Gamuts. The iPad mini & mini w/ Retina Display has smaller 62-65 percent Color Gamut.

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have just the rMini and to me the screen looks great.

Starting to wonder if maybe Apple didn't oversaturate the Air just a bit too much.

-Kevin

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I think the problem at the moment is you CAN'T go to a store and look for yourself. You have to order blind. There aren't any on display anywhere I don't believe.

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Apart from pretty much every Apple Store... ;)

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Retina mini's are on display in store?

21. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I agree with you; the picture here is the opposite of what I saw in another thread. These colors look better on the mini than the iPad. What's going on here? Different display sources?

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Different cameras

23. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Sorry, my bad. I was referring to comparing it against the Air. I never noticed if they had any rMini on display. Honestly though, the screen on the retina mini is excellent!

24. DVK916 macrumors regular

Source, let me guess your a**.

25. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel