Is the iPad really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by applefan289, Apr 4, 2011.

?

Do you think the iPad device is worth it?

1. Yes - it's a great toy

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No - I've got other things to cover me

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Yes - I NEED it

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. No - it's a "consumer" device - you can't do anything with it - it's a toy

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Depends on who is using it. Thats not a question that can be explicitly answered for everyone.

For me, yes. Worth it.

3. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i have it, love it. but its a toy. IMHO anyone who says its not a toy is just trying to justify it to themselves. Except in some rare cases ( i know a few architects that say its amazing for their work, most people aren't using it for work; etc. Editing docs, excel sheets; etc is a hassle on the ipad. Id rather be on my mbp anyday, and if i needed real portability id get a mba.

the ipad is just an extra toy. Now there is nothing wrong with that. It def. a gr8 toy. i wouldn't go without one.

4. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Wheres the option for not with backlight bleeding!

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

And the reason we need another thread to ask this unanswerable question which has already been debated all over this board ad infinitum is?

Besides, how can anybody debate whether it's worth it? What it's worth to me has nothing to do with what it's worth to anybody else, just as it's equally as futile for anyone to make a blanket statement that anyone who says it's not just a toy is only trying to justify it to themselves, particularly when you say in the very same sentence that you know some people who use it in their work. As a disabled person, I can attest that it's a lot more than just a toy for me, and I find it insulting to have it implied that such cannot be true.

And where is the poll option that says it's both a tool and a toy, as I think it likely is for many, many people? Just because one might use it as a toy in some cases does not in any way make it "not worth it".

6. Skika macrumors 68030

I think it's worth it. It the best browsing/email experiences, and can go everywhere with me. I think the iPad is the ultimate PC, in the true sense of the word.

7. mwulf67 macrumors regular

I still don’t get the need to label it a “toy”…I agree, generally and strictly speaking, it’s an unneeded, luxury item…most of our homes are full of such items…I just don’t buy into the whole use it for work=tool; use it for non-work=toy dichotomy…many things can be used as toys…high end PC for example…however, most toys can never be used as anything but toys…I see nothing inherently toy-like in the iPad…simply being less then something else does not make it a toy…

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

The iPad is a great device and I would highly recommend it. If you could purchase a cheap iPad first generation, you will love it.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

With your logic, why do you own anything? A tv is a toy - you don't need one. In fact, a kitchen table is a toy - you could eat standing up or by setting your plate on your knees. But then, your entire house is a toy - you could probably get by with a tent and a heater.

If the iPad serves it's purpose, there you go. Who cares if it's a toy or not?

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah it's worth it in my opinion. I use it for University been taking it in with me to take notes etc.

I downloaded pages the other day and actually done my assignment on the app. Wrote over 3000 words on it and didn't have a problem :p

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its the option where you return yours without being overly dramatic. :rolleyes:

12. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I voted yes, it's a great toy. I don't really think it's a toy, but I very seldom use it for any work related purposes as I personally find it very lacking for my type of work flow.

I'd call it an entertainment/consumption device rather than a toy. It's great for reading the news, magazines and comics (books I still prefer my Kindle with it's e-ink screen that's easier on my eyes), great for simple web surfing (i.e. not forums where I need a keyboard), great for watching short videos in bed etc. (movies and tv shows I'll watch on my 50" TV), playing simple games etc.

I do a tad of work stuff on it--reading some PDFs of scholarly journal articles, synching with my Google calendar, taking notes in meetings, but that's about it.

So I like it and feel it was worth it for me. I'd preface that by saying it's only worth it since I had the money to easily buy it without saving up etc. I do view it as a luxury as I don't do anything on it that I wasn't doing on my desktop or laptops before. It's a better form factor for doing the types of things I listed above, but not needed to do any of them. So I don't think its worth getting if $500 is a huge expense for a person--especially if they already own a laptop.

It's a luxury item and worth it for those who can easily afford it. But not a necessity worth saving for if one's on a very tight budget IMO since you can get buy with a laptop that's more of a necessity if you need a computer for work.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The old one was worth it. The new one is is worth the 3 week wait it if you order it online. Searching for one available for sale in a store isn't worth it.

14. princealyy macrumors regular

This is question on this forum is going to get you very pro apple answers ask this same on a non apple forum and see the results flip.

Only you can answer this question for yourself.

Asking a bunch of pro Apple people if they like this product is like asking a husband what he thinks of his wife's meatloaf .... Yes dear (JK about this part please don't flame me )

15. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I know I've ranted about this before but people who claim it's a toy because it can't do WORK are missing the point. For the VAST majority of the consumer market they don't need it to open excel or edit a word document. They edit photos, make movies, use the web, connect and share information on blogs, social networks and the like... all of those functions elavate it FAR above this derisory 'toy' designation that geeks throw around and make it a fully-fledged computer to those users.

Want a work computer? Buy a laptop or desktop. That's what they're designed for, that's what they're good for, that's what all the software is built around and that's where the toolset is based. But to consider an iPad (or any tablet actually) a 'toy' because it's based around the needs of its target market (a market, btw, that has the potential to be considerably larger than the business world) is just nonsense.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

17. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I absolutely agree with this, there is a difference between a luxury and a toy. I consider my iPad a luxury because it has made my life more convenient without fundamentally changing it. I need a Windows, Linux or Mac computer to do my job; however while I don't need my iPad it's been useful, often enough for me to definately say it's not a toy.

Do people consider a microwave oven a toy because it can't do everything a normal oven can?

18. jhr3uva90 macrumors newbie

Just got one last Thursday

I bought a floor model of an original iPad last Thursday a few hours before my cross-USA trip. In a nutshell, I think iPads (and tablets in general) are fascinating toys with a LOT of potential. I do BI for a living, specifically Microsoft SQL Server. I thought the iPad was only a toy until I saw MicroStrategy's app for it. Tablets have the potential to be very convenient consumption devices for BI reports, dashboards, etc. SalesForce.com already has a little iPhone app, and it will be interesting to see what they do with the iPad and other tablets.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I voted "Yes I need it," but actually that's a bit too strong. On the other hand, I don't think of it as a toy, either. It's an extremely useful gadget that has both practical and entertainment uses.

20. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'd like to echo this point, it is more than a toy, but less than a necessity. I do however use it for work as well as play, which is the same as my iMac.

21. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

wow someone is getting a little sensitive over a stupid topic. Like i said IMHO it is a toy. and the two options from the OP were "Yes, i need it." & "Yes, its a great toy". Thus, I definitely dont NEED it. So my other option is Yes its a toy. Go yell at the OP not me.

and dont you think your argument is taking it a little far? Tent and a heater? Come on you've got to be kidding me if your comparing a ipad to something as essential as a roof over your head. Seriously, no wonder people hate some of you apple fanboys. I love tech. Not just apple.

22. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

^This. Couldn't agree more.

23. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

Just b.c it meets a market demand it doesn't make it a toy? Toys meet market demand. The market of toys lol. Maybe toy is a too "offensive" for you guys, so hows about just that the ipad is a non-neccessity? Like i said IMHO opinion its a toy. Why get so sensitive and hurt about it? thats how i feel, if you don't agree thats gr8 for you. I never said it wasn't an exceptional device, i even stated that i wouldn't go without one.

Ipads; etc are all consumption devices. They meet certain limited business needs but not all. And those functions of "They edit photos, make movies, use the web, connect and share information on blogs, social networks and the like" sound pretty toy like to me. And each of those functions can be done on easier and quicker on some laptops.

A MBA 11" refurb can be had for $850 from apple. the Ipad 2 64gb is $700. For $150 the mba is looking like a pretty good deal. Its just as portable and way more functional.