Is the iPhone 3G build quality really that bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 1, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I keep seeing posts like "the silent switch just fell off my iPhone 3G" or "I have cracks in my iPhone 3G case" etc. but have most of the build quality problems been fixed or is the quality still bad?

If I take the plunge and get the iPhone 3G I dont want it to break after a few days, especially considering the amount of money it costs.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, its just that there are a lot of ocd people on these forums. chances are that yours will be fine!

3. goobimama macrumors regular

My friend's iPhone 3G's silent/ringer switch fell off. Airtel was charging him $250 to fix the switch! (the iPhone costs $650 here sans contract)

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um the phone is STILL under warranty. better tell him that as it shoudl be free of charge

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The Genius Bar should replace it for free, so take it to :apple:

When did your friend buy his iPhone, BTW?

Does anyone know if the switch problem is still present on new ones?

6. detz macrumors 65816

I have both(one for development) and the first gen feels much stronger but I like the feel of the new one better. I have not had problems with either one all though if I had to guess I would say the 3G one would break first.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think the switch problem is a big problem at all/ its bound to happen to some with the volume of phones out there. just get one and be happy. if it falls off then take it to the apple store you know?

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

We got 5 new phones for the family. They are all solid phones and don't have any 'problems'. Although they all have slightly different button feeling and one phone has a sorta grainy screen but that doesn't matter cos that one went to my parents (older folk who don't care for those things) :D

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I just dont want to buy a £350 phone and have it break after a few weeks.

What if it breaks after the warranty ends?

10. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

No the build quality is OK, but the battery sucks.

snverhalle

11. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Like any extremely mass-produced product, the iPhone 3G is going to have a few lemons. The vast majority of them, though, have excellent build quality.

Like mentioned above, forums can easily skew perception- posters are far more likely to post about problems rather than when things are running smoothly.

Apple, at least in my fairly expansive experience, has excellent customer service and will go the extra mile to ensure you are happy with your purchase.

12. franzmueller macrumors regular

Not so long ago there was a poster who returned 5 iphones till he got the 100% perfect for him .

Mine is 3 months old and the other day I found out when cleaning that there are 4 tiny little bubbles on the top left side inside of the screen.

I see it this way .... my iphone is unique .... I bet no other iphone has the same bubbles at the same place ...:D

You can hardly see them ... anyway

Saludos

13. goobimama macrumors regular

The thing with Airtel, the carrier that sells the iPhone in India, is that only they service the phone. The Apple Store/AppleCare is totally oblivious to the problem. I'm currently working with my Apple contacts out here to get the switch replaced, so yeah. If anyone can point me to some cases where this thing has happened, and Apple has taken care of it, do let me know. Would be of great help.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to be fair, that applies to anything you buy lol

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It's the same as any product with a waranty, you're SOL.

16. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

True I suppose.

17. daisuke07 macrumors regular

well the apple logo on the back scratches extremely easy and it gets really bad and the silver metal thing around the phone dents easily

18. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I dont care about dents, thats inevitable on anything unless you use a case, I just wanna know my flashy new phone wont fall apart in my hands.

19. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Well as long as you have a protection... And it protects the screen because that will easily crack if you drop it on that side then your iPhone will be fine.

20. elbirth macrumors 65816

lol.. you REALLY need to stop reading these forums if you think the phone is going to fall apart in your hands. The iPhone 3G is actually a very solid phone and the people that complain about a lot of issues are either too anal and will die early due to stress they put on themselves or treat electronics horribly.

I've had my iPhone 3G since launch day and it's had no hardware issues. I know many people with the same experience as mine. I've also read about a LOT of problems people have had online... but think about it- you're always going to hear more about problems than about people with no issues. How many times do you see people make a new thread just to say "hey guys, just letting everyone know my iPhone is perfect, I love this thing!"
    Forums are designed to discuss things and seek help- there's not much to discuss if the phone works just fine.

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The build quality is pretty good. It gets pretty warm/hot though which I don't like and the battery sucks.

22. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Good points, there!

I will probably get a black 8GB iPhone 3G tomorrow! :)

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the batt does not suck either. another instance why reading forums are bad....lol

24. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

chrome scratches easy and dont drop your phone and it wont dent.

25. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I've never dropped it. I have all these very little dents and scratches on that chrome thing around the phone. I have no clue how it even gets there when I don't abuse it