Is the iPhone 3GS really that flawed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAndy74, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Before I started reading this iPhone forum I was very excited about buying an iPhone and ready to actually buy one outright at the Apple Store (Australian Store).

But I've read so many horrifyingly negative posts from people like mavis that I started to question my choice.

As it is, I plan on buying Apple Care with my iPhone. To extend my support to 2 years.

My questioning generally involves the build quality (cracking) and the water damage sensors. I like in a climate where there are days where the humidity is quite high and have evaporative air-conditioning in my home. Will that trigger the water damage sensors and kill my warranty?

I also plan on getting a nice leather pouch for my iPhone and always look after my stuff to the extent that some might question my sanity :eek:

Just looking for some constructive help and thoughts about my questions. Thanks MacRumor'ians :)

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

I think there's clearly some isolated issues, but they don't call this the Jesus phone for nothing. To some, if it doesn't meeting their expectations and walk on water, they'll squeal about it.

All accounts indicate Apple stands by its product in most all reasonable, and many unreasonable, situations. If you have a legit problem, Apple should make it right. So, at worse you're looking at some hassle to exchange. You should have nothing to worry about.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have to remember that this is a forum. So, you're going to get mostly messages about problems, not how great things are. I wouldn't worry about all that you hear. The 3GS wouldn't be selling like hotcakes if it was bad as some say.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Aside from having to exchange my 3G multiple times for light leaks/bad buttons, I've been completely satisfied with my iPhones. My 3GS is perfect.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Horrible product...no one is buying them...and every owner has replaced the phone 3 or 4 times...if you value your life/sanity/first born child - stay away from the 3GS!!! :rolleyes:

7. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

I have a white 3GS. I have taken it out of the case a few times and I have seen absolutely no cracking or discoloring issues due to heat. I've dropped the phone twice about 2 feet from the ground and there's not a scratch on it thanks to my case.

That said, the bezel is NOT flush and the sleep button doesn't appear to sit parallel to the top of the case, so it's slightly crooked.

As for the "mass produced" argument that is floating around here, it comes across to me as fanboy propaganda. This is my first high-end phone, or product for that matter, that has obvious build quality flaws in it. If I didn't have a case covering the bezel, I'd have taken it back to an Apple store, but since I don't notice it with the case, I won't waste a day making a 40 mile drive to the store considering the cost of gas and time isn't worth it..... yet.

That said, if you go to the Apple store or AT&T to purchase the phone, look it over meticulously before saying 'it's ok" and signing that contract.

I love the phone, rather, the computer with a phone :p, but I think apple is cutting quality to make a buck.

8. Shabbis macrumors regular

Owned an original iPhone since release date, it was flawless until the speaker went out about four months before the 3GS came out. If I had purchased AppleCare, it would have been replaced.

I've had a 32GB 3GS since release date and it has also been flawless so far. The oleophobic screen and overall speed is nothing short of amazing.

9. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

:D There, that's what I needed. I'm looking forward to loosing my sanity then!

Thanks! Good read. I'm now convinced there is no reason not to buy iPhone.

I'm happy to spend the extra to get AppleCare then. Great to hear about your experiences!

10. Coraline macrumors member

I have one and have literally no issues, so. I have no idea.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm flattered that you've singled me out, but you seem to have left out the most important point: I love my iPhone 3GS and don't regret buying it at all.

Go buy one, you'll love it. I do!

12. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

:D Thing is after reading some of your posts I felt so confused.
    So many happy iPhone customers and generally great happiness yet your posts were so negative. So I guess I took what I read to heart.

Anyway will buy one. So annoyed at the screen and keypad on my Nokia 6500 Classic - I just can't wait.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Despite the bad luck I've had with the iPhone, I certainly don't regret purchasing it - either the 3G last summer, or the two 3GS's I bought last month. If you do get a lemon, Apple will take care of it for you. And it's likely that you won't have any problems at all, in the first place. ;)

As I said, I highly recommend the iPhone. You won't regret buying one!

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Have my 3GS and don't have a single complaint about it at this point.

15. garethjs macrumors 6502a

iPhone 3GS as a device is amazing. Apple's QC is not.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It's can be a good thing to second guess, but in this case go for it. It took me about a week of scrutinization to decide to finally upgrade to the 3GS. Once I did, I was very glad I did. It is a good amount faster than the 3G, and the compass is a handy tool. Go for it, you wont regret it.

17. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

:D I have decided to purchase. Upgrading from a Nokia 6500 Classic (shudder).

18. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Apple does seem to have somewhat more than it's share of QC problems but, that having been said, Apple also seems to want to make things right for the customer. Of all the posts on this site concerning bad phones, few of them are real horror stories. In addition, I have 4 iPhones and I haven't noticed any problem with any of them. I haven't studied them with a magnifying glass because I really don't care that much, they're phones after all, but not one has had a noticeable problem.

19. wr1020 macrumors regular

This is my first iphone and my third cell phone and it's an amazing piece of gadgetry. I've wanted an iphone for so long and when the 3gs was announced i couldn't wait any longer and canceled my verizon contract. Very glad i bought it i have no flaws whatsoever in mine.

20. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

There's generally two types of people who post in forums like this the majority of the time. Those looking to upgrade...and those who have upgraded and are looking to complain and find others to complain along side. You see negativity because that's the easiest thing to talk about. As you see...when someone does ask for genuine positive reactions to the new product...the people who are actually not complaining and are satisfied with the product (or those who are complaining but who ARE actually mostly satisfied) come out of the woodwork.

I'm of the former group...owner of the 3G looking to upgrade. The negativity didn't dissuade me from placing my order because I know if it were really a serious widespread issue...it would be talked about a heck of a lot more...and Apple probably would have reacted on a large scale (ie recall) rather than taking them on a case by case basis.

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Holy crap, look at that avatar! Are you related to TheSpaz?!

22. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

My 3GS is flawless. Perfectly assembled, and works great. Absolutely no problems to report.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Ok I have a 3Gs and a 3G. The 3Gs went back in the box day 3.
    Only because a full jailbreak isn't out yet.
    I am far from an apple fan boy. the phones has its flaws but none should be considered a show stopper.
    I have ahd an iphone for over a year. Its become a necessity (material necessity) in my routine. I very rarely check my email on a computer anymore.
    My son has a 32Gs now and loves it.
    My wife has a touch and loves it. I know my wifes next phone will be an iphone to replace her touch and cell phone. :eek:

get it, enjoy it, and come back and tell us how much you like it. ;)