Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Well vodafone Australia has the iphone 3gs on prepaid i am thinking about getting one but it is worth the money as for the 16GB prepaid its $929AUD.

Also say i get it can do like a factory default restore thing? (say i install a lot of crap to it.)

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
I was in the Apple store yesterday waiting for my appointment for the Genius Bar. I checked in and the guy told me to look around and feel at home while I waited.
I checked out the iPhone 3GS, compared to my 3G, and honestly it didn't phase me. Video and a compass don't make me want to upgrade.
Now, if you were moving from a 1st generation iPhone to a 3GS, then that would be a different story. ;)

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
having used the 3gs i would notice the shortcomings of the 3g now so wouldn't want to go back.

nobody can answer your question but you.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
I'd say- go for it! I'd do your research first, and try out the iPhone in the store before you make your final move. You don't want to be purchasing something out of the blue and be dissatisfied with it!
I honestly love my iPhone (except for AT&T). But besides the jumpy service, I'll be a long time iPhone user, that's for sure.
I wish you the best of luck on your decision! :)

baddj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Okay thank you for your feedback but is the 1000bucks a rip off or is it worth it for its hardware and build quality?

robvia

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Agree that 1st gen to 3GS is a no brainer (me). 3G TO 3GS is probably based on money and how much you really want the new features. Some people in this world want the latest / greatest.

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
Okay thank you for your feedback but is the 1000bucks a rip off or is it worth it for its hardware and build quality?

$1000 is pretty close to what people will pay for an iphone 3gs anywhere in the world payg.

whether it's worth it or not is irrelevant, that's what it costs.

do you want an iphone? do you have $1000 to spend? if you answered yes to both then get it.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
the iPhone is definitely worth it just like the Mac. you love it.

$929 is the retail price youre buying it outright on prepaid. if you go for a 12 month $69 plan on voda youll pay $1428 a year (or $828 if you pay $600 upfront for the phone) and on a 24 month plan $1656.

if you do a restore in iTunes it will erase and reinstall the OS and ask you if you want to restore from backup (if you have one).

baddj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
the iPhone is definitely worth it just like the Mac. you love it.

$929 is the retail price youre buying it outright on prepaid. if you go for a 12 month $69 plan on voda youll pay $1428 a year (or $828 if you pay $600 upfront for the phone) and on a 24 month plan $1656.

Okay.

On that note has any one here got a iphone with voda in AU and how good is the 3g speeds?

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
It's worth it if you use Safari a lot. It loads web pages much faster. But also the ram was doubled to 256MB, so the gs never needs to reload a tab, and tabs are as functional as they are on a desktop web browser!

ichabodkky

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I paid for my upgrade to GS by selling my G on eBay. so for me, new phone, new warranty, and NO out of pocket..... yes, it was worth it for me to upgrade. Now that I did, i have noticed a significant speed difference in almost everything local on the phone... internet speeds are about the same. If you are pinching pennies, maybe you should wait since the 3G is still a great phone. if you get lucky like me... then there's no reason to not.:D

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Okay.

On that note has any one here got a iphone with voda in AU and how good is the 3g speeds?

sorry i dont even have an iPhone but i will go with Voda in the future. Optus and Voda have the cheapest plans but Optus' 3G coverage has a lot of dropouts and is very slow in the cities as it has been oversold. Voda i think has better speeds and includes free tethering and visual voicemail. Telstra is very expensive and has tiny data plans but they have the best coverage and speeds with no dropouts… hey you get what you pay for,

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
In my experience, Telstra and Optus are about the same speed on the iPhone.
But, Telstra is nearly always 5 bars 3G, and Optus is dropping out to GPRS constantly... drives me crazy.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007

IMO, unless you can honestly answer "yes" to the question "Is this a device I feel I can't live without?", there is no smartphone worth that much money.

I know people who live and die, professionally, by the contents of their phones. Those, honestly, are mostly Blackberry users.

I love the iPhone, and I've bought every model so far, but I'll never pay full price for one again (and full price for the 16GB iPhone 2G, remember, was "only" $500). To me, the iPhone is a very cool toy that occasionally comes in very handy. Nothing more. I regularly tell myself I'm an idiot for paying for the data plan every month. But I can afford it, and the phone pleases me.

Let the flames begin!

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
from 3G to 3GS, it's not that big of a jump. however, 2G to 3GS is a much bigger difference. which is what i'll be doing shortly :D

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
upgrading form 3G.... not worth it, not even for a penny.
upgrading from 2G.....Worth it because of the 3G speeds.
First time buyer ........Definitely worth it. You should experience iphone.

Johnnybrav0

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
It is for me....I'll update again when a new one comes out...but you never know...their might be something be better in the future...the questions is....how long into the future can you wait? Technology is always changing...I pay the price because that's the price for my short term happiness....I'll enjoy it for a year....

If you keep waiting you might as well never buy than....that's my outlook on it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.