Is the iPhone 4 still worth getting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDar, Jul 27, 2011.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I really want an iPhone, and absolutely hate waiting and the new "rumored" design.

Has the iOS5 beta told us anything about the possible capabilities of the iPhone 5 by any chance? Like, will it be 3G like the old iPhone, or will it be HSPA+ capable?

I don't mind if it's just minor upgrades that the iPhone 5 receives, but if it's something major I don't want to be kicking myself.

Also, does anyone know if ATT does that thing, where if a newer version of the iPhone comes out within 30 days you can just exchange it for the new one?

2. Lioncrazz macrumors member

The iPhone 4 is an awesome phone. I have had it a year and still love it. It is fast, and the design is phenomenal. I am one person who will not be upgrading to the iPhone 5 when it first comes out. No matter what. There is nothing wrong with my iPhone 4. It does everything I want it too, and iOS 5 will give me a lot of great features.

With that said, I do expect that the iPhone 5 will be a major upgrade. They pushed back the usual July release for a reason. Th iPhone 5 will really raise the bar, I believe. I don't know what they are going to do outside of
    Speed and a better camera, but it will be above every other phone, just like the 4 was when it came out.

If you buy the iPhone 4 now though, you will not be able to return it for the 5. If you will be angry at yourself for not waiting for the upgrade, just wait. However, you would not be making a bad purchase by getting the 4. It is an amazing phone.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I would just wait. Waiting never hurt anyone! :)

4. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

I'm leaving the country for a week soon, so I wouldn't get it now, I'd probably get it around the second week of August.
    I'm sad to hear they don't do exchanges though. I guess I have a bit of fretting to do before I make my decision.

5. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Just hold on for another month or so and if no new phone materialises then get an IPhone 4. I'm pretty sure though we will see a new handset in September. I can't imagine Apple not releasing one because of the competition.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's still "worth" getting, but not at full price considering it's over a year old.

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Patience is a virtue.
    At this point, the iPhone 4 is not worth the full price you have to pay for it now, like worldoflife said. If you're so down on getting an iPhone 4, might as well wait for a couple months and get one at a cheaper price?

Trust me and wait, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in a couple months when everyone has a snazzy new iPhone 5.

I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 since iOS 4 was released and i downloaded it on my iPhone 3G.

8. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Wait till September. Not knowing how long your have waited to get an iPhone, what is another 6-8 weeks? If you get the iPhone 4 in pursuit of instant gratification, you will be regretting it for the next two years. You will not even enjoy it for a few months before it becomes the 'outdated' model. Don't get tempted. Just wait. You will come back and thank us.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I purchased mine a month ago and have still not finished tweaking it.

My situation is a little different.

I dont choose to be locked into a long contract.
    I buy mine on pay as you go.

When the iphone 5 is released I will buy it if it delivery considerably more than my iphone 4.

Like one of the earlier replies said we are looking forward to the ios 5 release which is reported to bring over 200 additions to the current ios.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Don't get it! Wait! Trust me I know how difficult it is to wait but at this point it's the best thing to do

11. n1k1t4 macrumors newbie

Are you in the US? if yes, then wait because the new one will come out like within 1-1.5 months. well, anywhere in the world really you should wait, otherwise it just seems.....desperate.
    :apple:

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would also wait, unless you need a new phone today. And even then, maybe a wait is in order.

As to the thoughts about swapping a iphone 4 for a 5. Why in the world would any company do that? What are they going to do with the 4 you no longer want?

Heck,they are still selling Iphone 3's

You know - I bought a new Camry a few months ago. A new one is coming out soon. Maybe they will swap it out for me.

13. Redeyz macrumors newbie

I'm basically in your shoes... I bought an iPhone 4!

The main reason being the iPhone 4 is definitely a champ as it stands today!

The design in my opinion wont be beat.. I LOVE the glass on both sides.. the metal on the back is not really my thing.. and there's definitely been some weird looking concepts that I wouldn't want.. bigger screen is nice but im pretty satisfied in all respects.. and i'm still getting iOS 5

I could obviously be EXTREMELY wrong.. but I still have the 14 day period right now if any crazy new info actually gets released soon enough..

If not I can still sell it, make most of my money back.. get the iPhone 5 and at worst take a small hit..

Risk .vs. Reward!

14. alflavor macrumors regular

My advice Is to wait! I have been waiting since my 3GS contract expired in May.

15. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Wait! Personally when it comes to iPhones I would only ever buy the device within 6 months of it being released. Also saying that the next iPhone is potentially very near, so yes, wait!