Is the iPhone 5 okay for iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TrenttonY, Sep 2, 2013.

1. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Wal-Mart 16 gig iPhone 5 is $98 with 2 year contract. I'm thinking about upgrading from a iPhone 4 to 5 at that price. I have to make up my mind fast. I want a phone that will still be fast for at least two years. I seen some people say iOS 7 is slow on 5? Is that because its beta or because the processer is a little on the slow side. The iPhone 5S is maybe going to have a 30% faster processor will that make a big difference then the 5's? I don't really care about the touch sensor (unless its amazing) or duel LED and different colors.

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You'll be fine I'm willing to say up to iOS 9. Anyways you should have no problem with iOS 7 on the iPhone 5, it runs great.

3. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will the GM come out before the public release? And will it be the same as the public release?

4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Historically yes, the GM has come out the same day Apple introduces new iPhones. Historically the GM is the same build as the public release.

5. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Yes, GM always comes out before public release. Except for once, it has always been the same build as the public release as well.

iOS 7 was most likely tested on an iPhone 5, seeing as it's still Apple's current flagship phone. So yes, iOS 7 will run very well.

6. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it iOS 7 won't come out when they announce the new iPhone but when it ships? I can't remember.

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Unless you're really impatient, I'd suggest that you wait until the September apple keynote which will reveal the new iPhone. Even thought you're not going for the iPhone 5S, you might be interested in the iPhone 5C or the iPhone 5 price might get cheaper.

To answer your question, iOS 7 is as fast as iOS 6 on an iPhone 5.

----------

Yes, the GM will come out the day the next iPhone is revealed. We can't say if it will be the same as the public release, but in the past 2 years, GMs have been the same as the release versions.

8. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Defiantly not getting the iPhone 5C but what if Apple discontinues the iPhone 5 like that rumor stated and Wal-Mart doesn't do that deal anymore?

9. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Get your facts straight, GMs have often been different from release versions but it hasn't happened since iOS 4.3.

----------

Even if they did, they'll be plenty until xmas

10. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

I've seen ios7 beta in the flesh a few days ago and it was on an iphone4S, well I was surprised how fine it was running. So am not worried at all about iphone5 (except for battery, but that's another thing)

11. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I'm using iOS 7 beta on iPhone 5 and I have to say it's definitely running well overall, GM ought to be faster than iOS 6. (Beta not perfect, glitches still, minor bugs, sometimes my phone resprings itself, but not often.)

Apple made the iPhone 5 with a processor that is not just a little faster than 4S, but, much faster, made to take the leap to new iOS's better. Hint: it's the only iPhone currently being made (before new ones come out) you'll be able to do AirDrop with. ...To my knowledge, there are no new features of iOS 7 that the iPhone 5 can't do. Now, if 5S has new hardware, that's a different story (fingerprint sensor), of course iPhone 5 won't be able to do that as that requires new hardware.

12. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The 5 will be plenty fast for years to come. It's running very well with iOS 7, and will be even better with the GM. I'm loving it so far.

If you don't think you'll be happy with it, just get the 5S.

14. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know I'm being picky but I hate the white iPhone 5 but I think the black iPhone 5 is too black, I'm in love with the rumored graphite iPhone. But for $98 the iPhone 5 is a great deal. This is causing me psychological pain on deciding. :)

15. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I have a 4S running iOS 7 and it's just fine. You'll be fine.

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I think in your case you need to decide how much you're willing to pay for the new colors. $98 on a 2-year is an incredible deal. The 5 will run iOS 7 extremely well. If I was in your situation I would go for that over a new color and hundreds more.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Hmmm I'm not sure about that. Isn't Apple pretty good at inventory levels. I remember when the iPhone 5 came out, lots of stores were actually out or very low stock on certain models of the 4S..

18. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you guys use cases, screen protectors, I want to show off the beauty of the phone. Does the black back still scratch easly like it did when it first came out?

19. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I rock my white iPhone 5 naked and my roommate rocks his black iPhone 5 naked as well. His is all silver on the sides and mine still looks brand new aside from expected dings and scratches.

20. TrenttonY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking just using a back screen protector.

21. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

i keep my 5 in my pocket always alone (no keys or anything) and unprotected and yes it has scratches on the sides. I've owned 3 iphones 5 and they all had this in some way in the end (not huge though). I love the black i5 but this is a shame. And i hate covers of any sorts

22. SluGuru macrumors regular

The 5c will be free with a 2 year contract. It's main appeal is internationally anyway. You are right, if the rumors are right once iPhone 5 stock is gone it is gone as far as getting a new one for a 2-year discount. But really, if you are paying $98 for the 5 why not $199 for the 5S? It's a long two years and by then your phone will be way out of date by the iPhone 6s. If you are looking to save cash the 5c will have more features with a junkier body than the 5 and be cheaper.

There is no way to know exactly what will happen with Apple. If you ever try to make $100 bet on what they will actually do, you will lose every time. Just wait and a get a free 5c or a 5s for $200. Then you will know your actual options and for $4 a month it is silly not to.

23. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

Even running beta my battery has been fine. Better than fine actually.

24. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

My black iPhone 5 from launch day is still perfect on the sides no polished marks . And I don't use cases.

25. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Both Model 1428 (ATT and T-Mobile) and Model 1429 (Verizon and Sprint) are fully compatible with 7.0.

----------

There actually is info out there that the Battery Drain Problem may be getting caused by Over The Air Updates. Use ITunes instead and you will be fine.