Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FallenLegend

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
I would buy the iPhone 6 or 6s if I could afford it, but sadly it isn' the case. I could afford the iPhone 5s But I''m a little worried apple will lock me out of the updates and leaving me unable to download any useful app like uber, like they did with my iPhone 3gs.

I would be ok if it would work for 2 years at least.

What do you think?

1462780891.84.jpg

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, what would it cost you? Because the SE can be had starting at $400 retail. So unless you're getting the 5s for well less than that, I wouldn't.

That said, my wife uses a 5s, and it's still a solid phone. Runs iOS 9 very well. But how will it do on 10? Or 11? That's not really known yet, which is why I'd go for the SE, if at all possible.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well, what would it cost you? Because the SE can be had starting at $400 retail. So unless you're getting the 5s for well less than that, I wouldn't.

That said, my wife uses a 5s, and it's still a solid phone. Runs iOS 9 very well. But how will it do on 10? Or 11? That's not really known yet, which is why I'd go for the SE, if at all possible.

iPhone 5Ss start from under $200, so it is a fair saving compared to the SE.

With regards to how it runs iOS 10/11, the processor benchmarks fairly similarly to the iPhone 6. As such, it's not likely to struggle for quite some time. Plus as the 5C/5 are still being supported with their 32-bit CPUs, the 5S is far from the cutting line.

OP, I'd definitely recommend the 5S.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Apple tends to support their devices for a really long time. You can usually count on an iOS device to keep receiving the latest updates for at least 5 years, and the 5s came out in late 2013.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Like another poster mentioned above the iPhone SE is a better option if you plan on holding onto it for a number of years (it has the latest hardware and should be supported by Apple for 4+ years yet) and it comes in at a cheaper price than either the 6 or 6s. That said the 5s can likely be had for a large discount at this point since it has been discontinued and can probably be had for much cheaper than the SE. Based on the period that Apple seems to be supporting their devices for now I would suspect it will be just over 2 years (i.e. Fall 2018) before the 5s is no longer supported by Apple. It still runs well with iOS 9 and I suspect it will still run fairly well with iOS 10 since devices with older and slower hardware (i.e. iPhone 5 and 5c) are still supported as well. Make the decision that works best with your budget.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iPhone 5Ss start from under $200, so it is a fair saving compared to the SE.

With regards to how it runs iOS 10/11, the processor benchmarks fairly similarly to the iPhone 6. As such, it's not likely to struggle for quite some time. Plus as the 5C/5 are still being supported with their 32-bit CPUs, the 5S is far from the cutting line.

OP, I'd definitely recommend the 5S.
That link showed a 5s for $240. Still a good savings over the SE, but not quite under $200.

The 5/5c are now the bottom of the heap, which means the 5s will likely be the lowest model supported on iOS 11 and is likely to be dropped in iOS 12, in fall 2018. And most models don't run great when they are the lowest specced model still supported (e.g. A5-based devices on iOS 9 are no treat).

All of which means I would expect iOS 10 to be the last version the 5s runs well, and iOS 11 to be the last version it runs at all.

Of course sometimes the pattern varies - the A5 devices got more updates than the A4 devices because that was single vs dual core, so a big jump. the A7-based 5s was also a big jump, so maybe it gets an extra year too, who knows.

Regardless, the SE is going to have support far longer, and be a better experience in the short term. But only the OP knows his own financial situation and how much of a stretch the SE would or wouldn't be.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If we are using eBay as a guide, we aren't using msrp, so the. Msrp of the SE goes out the window too. I got an SE 16gb for $300 (granted it was a lucky buy, but still).

In short, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a 5s. Not today.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016
Buy a better model on Swappa.

You're looking at spending a decent chunk of money on a very dated phone when for a bit more you can get much better, and often in new in box condition.

I saved nearly $400 on my 128GB 6S Plus, and it was mint in box, posted for a quick sale.

You could easily find a good deal on an SE or 6S that would be just a little more than the 5S, and it's a much better buy that will last you 3-4 years over a hopeful 2, but possibly less.

Reactions: FallenLegend

ghicks81

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2016
I just bought one a few days ago coming from an Android phone, and yes, it's still a good buy. I got mine for $130 and it came with the original box, original accessories, Spigen case, and a glass screen protector. Everything looked as if it was brand new, even the box. A little odd coming from Android but I am already loving this phone. I got the phone and you can get them for virtually every carrier from Swappa.

al404

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2011
Novara, Italy
i was wondering the same thing is 5S is still a good phone?
when iPhone 6s was announced last year? because i guess is almost time for iPhone 7

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just bought one a few days ago coming from an Android phone, and yes, it's still a good buy. I got mine for $130 and it came with the original box, original accessories, Spigen case, and a glass screen protector.
For $130 it's a great buy!! Like I said before, still a very nice phone, but it depends on how far below the SE price you can get it. Worth it at $130 for sure.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
wait until Iphone 7 launches, certainly the price of iphone 6s will drop,buy iphone 6s or SE.it will be cheaper soon

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
wait until Iphone 7 launches, certainly the price of iphone 6s will drop,buy iphone 6s or SE.it will be cheaper soon
Prices for the 6s will drop when the 7 launches in the fall, but I doubt the prices of the SE will drop then. SE prices may drop in spring 2017, but I wouldn't be surprised if (new) SE prices are already as low as they are going to go.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
There's really no reason to buy anything lower than a SE at this point.

Don't have the funds?...then save up.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on whose going to be using it and what their usage is going to be. I'm in the process of getting my Mum her first mobile phone. Sure I could buy her another cheaper brand or even a "dumb" phone but I rather get her an iPhone as that's what I'm familiar with and getting a smart phone would allow her to use email and in particular WhatsApp. That said she does not need the performance or additional features of an SE and which would cost an additional £120 more here in the UK. The OS updates are not that crucial as her usage is fairly basic and the 5S to my understanding works just fine with iOS 9.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That's not necessarily true. It all depends on whose going to be using it and what their usage is going to be. I'm in the process of getting my Mum her first mobile phone. Sure I could buy her another cheaper brand or even a "dumb" phone but I rather get her an iPhone as that's what I'm familiar with and getting a smart phone would allow her to use email and in particular WhatsApp. That said she does not need the performance or additional features of an SE and which would cost an additional £120 more here in the UK. The OS updates are not that crucial as her usage is fairly basic and the 5S to my understanding works just fine with iOS 9.

And how much would the 5s run you in the condition you want? 160? 180? 200?

And what happens if the phone has problems after 1 year?

Your money, your call. I'd get a SE if you can afford it.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
I agree that you should go for a newer device..... But, iOS 10 beta is running great on a 5S I have if that means anything to you. In the end it's a good phone in my opinion. If you can get one for cheap it's a win....

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Only if it's free. SE killed the 5s. SE is faster, longer lasting. Two very important things.

Reactions: Math889

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Really helpfull post matey.

The point of my post was to opine that the SE was FAIAP the new bottom rung.

Yes, the 5s will do acceptably well, but support and warranty issues favor the SE.

And if buying the SE means saving another 1-3 months...not the end of the world if you have a working phone.

Reactions: FallenLegend

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
Just bought a new 5s yesterday for $150. It's a Straight Talk phone from Walmart, but works fine on Page Plus (Verizon). For surfing, email, and messages it is indistinguishable from the SE at $150 versus $400. If you need the performance of an SE, all bets are off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.