Is the iPhone release season wrong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxics, Apr 13, 2014.

1. roxics macrumors regular

Samsung just released the new Galaxy S5 and it's a beautiful spring day today here in north America. Seems like a good time to buy a new smartphone with a new camera on it that you can use for all your spring/summer adventures.

So would it be better for Apple to release the iPhone this time of year? Early spring. Plus competing directly against the Samsumg Galaxy S phones as a result.

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Is Samsung galaxy that has to compete with the iPhone ....

Btw I think is much better to release a new flagship BEFORE Christmas than in April.

3. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Lol Technically they both compete against each other.

But is that because of the season? Does it matter when Apple sells it as far as actual numbers? Won't people buy it because it's a good product and they want it anyway? Personlly I'd rather buy a new one now to use all spring and summer. But then I use my phone a lot for photography.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Samsung also releases their very popular Note in the fall. I don't think there's a right or wrong season and apple has some pretty smart people to vet out exactly when they should sell it.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

a lot of people end up getting the iPhone on black friday, christmas etc. also when people get end of year bonuses so many reasons why they do it then i would believe. they don't care about if you want to take pictures they want maximum profit.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

You obviously don't live in the Midwest. Lol. Thunderstorms here in Kansas City!

But in regard to Apple, I think they do try to play off of the holiday season and end of year bonuses and such. Especially with the iPad. And they're not going to do iPhone and iPad in different quarters.

Personally I think they should move MacBook Pro back to the summer to take advantage of Back to School. October is already halfway through the fall semester! Students (and others) should be able to look at the new MacBook Air and the new MacBook Pro side by side and make their choice.

7. Deguello macrumors 6502

April is before Christmas, too.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's what's behind quite a bit of it.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Not really rocket science. Sell something with a lot of hype when people are buying stuff namely the holiday season.

People are less likely to buy "old news"

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I really wish Apple would spread out their product releases a bit more. We get nothing until June (halfway through the year) and then it seems like all their products start rolling out after that point. Having them clustered so close together makes it harder to afford all of them.

11. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I really wish the iPhone would revert back to a June release, especially this year. I live in Canada but I'm moving to CA in August for college. I'm hoping to upgrade to the iPhone 6 on T-Mobile but if that doesn't come out until September/October I'll be stuck without a phone until then since my current iPhone's locked to my Canadian carrier.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

North America is pretty big. Lol. It's beautiful in my neck of woods (Philly area). But I'm sure it's sh!%#y somewhere. I'd like to have the 6 right now too. But I think the nerds at apple have slightly better insight as to when the best time to launch is.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Snow on the plains! Gotta love the Midwest. One day it's 70 and thunderstorming, the next is 33 and flurries.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Remember Samsung's flagship used to come out in the fall to compete with Apple. They moved it to the Spring release schedule so that their Galaxy S line doesn't directly compete with the newest iPhone and moved their Note series to the fall.

Plus I don't think Apple sees the Spring release as a good idea since people would be hesitant to upgrade during the holiday season with a new iPhone model coming only a few months afterwards. Releasing in the Fall allows them to gain the maximum sales benefit from the holiday season.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

My ideal:
    -Macs anywhere between June and August. Maybe start with iMac and Mac Mini and end with MacBook Pro and Air for Back to School.
    -September stays iPhone and iPod touch*. Or iWatch?
    -October for iPad

Throw in Apple TV maybe sometime around a major TV event. Maybe January for the Super Bowl or early March just in time for March Madness?

*Or maybe give the iPod line it's own release in late spring for the end of the school year. Convince parents to reward their kids for good grades with a new iPod ;) (or maybe I just totally dated myself as an iPod generation kid...)

Throw in Mac Pro whenever seems right. It's not a consumer product driven by particular shopping seasons.

If the rumors of a phablet are true, they could give it its own release at another point in the year, but that's not Apple's style. Even with the 5s and the 5c, they were announced at the same event. Same with the full size iPad and the mini.

16. dvoros macrumors 6502

iPhone releas.e

Apple should definitely change the release of its iPhones. Spring is perfect for new product releases.

17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Kansas sounds a lot like Ohio this time of year lol

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Clearly it seems that when Apple is doing it toward the end of the year is better in various ways.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

how so?

20. kilcher, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I do think Samsung and HTC have the upper hand in release cycle timing. Since Samsung and HTC release their flagship phones earlier in the year the media and general population have been conditioned to thinking the iPhone is always 6 months behind. It seems like the iPhone is always playing catch up.

Not necessarily true of course. When the iPhone comes out the Galaxy and One are 6 months old. But I do think the timing within a calendar year does have some impact on the public's perception.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Apple does fall release to take advantage of holiday shopping. The iPhone release season is definitely not wrong - for their bottom line anyway.

22. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

The iPhone 6 isnt even out yet and I'm already sick of it...

23. AppleRobert macrumors 603

It is wrong because some folks do not want to wait when nice android and windows smartphones are released and they have to wait till September before the next iPhone.

No telling what impact the new iPhone would have on those others if the timing was closer for release but somehow I think you already know those others would be in trouble!

24. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

My buddy just came into work today with a new S5. He got it on Saturday. He was lucky because he wanted a white one and that's all they had left in stock at the store. Guess they were selling a lot of them.

Gotta admit I'm a little envious. Not that I want an S5 per se, but of the fact that he has a new phone for the spring/summer with a bigger screen, 4K video and is sand/water resistent. Perfect for the beach this summer and all the other outdoor events.

What's even harder is that once I wait the extra six months for the iPhone 6, I'm not even sure it's going to have half those features like 4K video and sand/water resistance. So I may be waiting for something that is just a big screen 5S, which would be disappointing.

It would be nice if they all released their phones this time of year so we can compare them better and make the choice that fits us best.

25. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

so you want apple to work with samsung so that you can decide if you want to buy their product or not? good luck!
    [​IMG]

----------

i was waiting for the new macbook to come out for my first semester and was pretty bummed i had to wait half the semester. I could imagine most students don't care and will just buy the old model not knowing an update is near.