Is the iPhone worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewEyesOpen, Apr 23, 2009.

1. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

I'm currently with Verizon and have a blackberry curve. I don't use the data that much at all, mainly because it isn't full text/html and i'm tired of not having the option to check my email when I want to instead of having it pushed through. I think the iPhone is awesome and it would be cool to have one, but is it really worth it? Or am I just going to be paying for more data that I wouldn't be using any more often? I'd like to get off the blackberry, but there aren't any other decent phones on Verzion.

It would cost me 140$ to terminate my contract with verizon and then the additional 200+$ to start up with the iPhone on AT&T. It just doesn't seem logical.

2. fishepa macrumors regular

I came from a Curve 8210 and I'm not looking back. I love the iphone.

3. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Is the iPhone worth having? Yes. Is the iPhone worth terminating your Verizon contract and having to pay the penalty? No. Wait for your contract to end. You'll love your iPhone much more then.

4. NewEyesOpen thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. It is definitely a great device. I just don't think I would use the data enough to justify paying for it month to month. Even with all the apps and what not.

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

Upgraded from an LG Chocolate.
    The iPhone has the best visual interface of any touch phone imo. Absolutely worth it.

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

If you don't think it is logical; don't switch...

Is it logical to ask if the "iPhone is worth it" on an Apple based website? hmmm.... ;)

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It would be worth it if you were not in a current contract already. Additionally, you say you don't use the data plan that much? To me, that's the best part of the iPhone - it's ability to surf the web.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

With the iPhone I use data way more than I thought I would because it's a much more pleasurable experience than any other phone.

10. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

The iPhone will completely change your life.

I was a Verizon customer for the past 8 years. I had just had enough of their crap when I came back to Los Angeles (Long Beach area around the 22/605 interchange) and could not get signal...at all and being charged for unlimited text/pix/flix and being charged per item sent.

Right now my ATT bill is 1/3 what my Verizon bill was. ;)

11. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

How much data do you average per month? Most of the apps should not use that much data.

12. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes, the iPhone is worth it.

13. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Yes it is, and belive me you will use data on the iphone.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apps that stream anything (Ustream, Pandora, etc.) are data hogs. Simply using Safari all day (which I do sometimes) will burn data.

15. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

iphone is not worth it.... (sneaks away from isight and plays rolando on my iphone)

16. Drive4Ever macrumors newbie

went from a long time t-mobile customer to AT&T and so far it has been pretty good. what i like about the iphone is that it has all the applications you will ever need!

17. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I had the LG Dare, with the full data plan on Verizon. My wife and I recently paid the $140 (yea, each phone) to switch from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone. I have to admit, I was skeptical at first to how much I would actually be using the data plan, but I use it all the time. Especially in my area, AT&T coverage is far superior to Verizon, so service has been great. So for us, paying the ETF was extremely worth it, and the only reason we did it was for the iPhone. I would say go for it if you want one. But, as always, it is up to you.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here. We had an LG Dare and the LG Voyager and the iPhone is great. We also canceled our contract early with Verizon because we were sick of their crap also. The apps on the iPhone are great and I am using the data plan a lot more than on my old Voyager. It's so easy to use also, it's seamless.

19. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Yes because we all hate APPLE:eek:

Op what do you think? If your already complaining about the termination fee plus start up cost our opinions should not matter. :cool:

20. macneurotic macrumors newbie

macneurotic

The iPhone is the best truckload of money I've ever spent

It's true. The life of the phone will cost more than I care to calculate, but I'm certain it's worth every penny and more. It's the combination of cool and useful. It's not just a good demo, the iPhone kicks ass in the real world. It's a science fiction device come true. I can't stop touching it. I'm still obsessed and in love, even after almost a year.

:apple:

http://www.macneurotic.com

21. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

My current bill says 56 MB on a 1st gen iPhone. I would say I'm a low to moderate user, but I don't know how that compares to anyone else.

My phone says 160 MB sent, 1.5 GB received.

Anyone else?

For the OP, my iPhone replaced my Palm and phone and was generally worth it. It's better now since Apple's opened up development, but there are still some deficiencies compared to other smart phones.

22. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Yes, especially when 3.0 is released! How much longer to you have on your contract? If its over a year, I'd consider switching. Google how to get out of your verizon contract w/out paying a cancellation fee. Cheers!

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Use it for a month, and you will be hooked like the rest of us. It is well worth it in my opinion.