Is the iPod Touch Your Main Camera Now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Dec 11, 2010.

1. HappyDude20, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Guys, i'm highly considering selling my current 8GB iPod Touch, 2nd gen...for the latest iPod Touch. Aside from the performance upgrade, of which I can sure use...I'm looking for a camera to use in a few months when I move to Tokyo, Japan for 6 months, wanting to capture photos of it all.

I'm here wondering if the camera is all cracked up to be what Apple says it is.

Whether i'm at a restaurant with friends or visiting that one volcano in Japan, I want to be able to capture it all. Plus for the past few years have had iPhoto on my Mac collecting dust considering i've not had a decent camera.

So like I said, am just wondering if its worth it.

Edit: BTW, I'm thinking about also getting rid of my Flip Mino HD seeing as the new iPod can do HD video as well. I do know that the Flip Mino HD's video recording is better than the iPods in benchmark tests, but being able to have video recording, my music and apps on one device rather than carrying 2 in Japan seems better for me.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPod touch camera is ok for video (will do 720p), but it's a pretty poor still camera (< 1 megapixel), and certainly not one I'd recommend as a "main" camera

3. apaulct macrumors newbie

NFW would I recommend the camera in an iPod Touch 4g as a main camera. The 4g Touch is fantastic for what it does well, like music, e-mail, internet, apps, etc. Unfortunately, still photography is not one of them. I may come from a different perspective, my main camera is a dSLR with $1000's invested in glass. WIth the touch at full resolution, stills are still less than 1mp & the digital zoom reduces that to totally useless.

Can't compare the Touch to the Flip for video but have used my touch for quick video of my grandkids opening their b-day present. The Touch did a pretty good job with this.

Recommendation: Upgrade to the 4g Touch for performance & maybe video. Buy a 10mp or greater point-and-shoot camera for your stills. Many current P&S cameras have HD video built-in. You may be able to get both stills & video from one device with much higher quality. I think you will be much happier & have good captures of your stay in Tokyo.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a second gen iPod Touch (obviously without a camera) but I also have my iPhone 3GS (I think it has a better camera than the newer iPods?).
    I would not use my iPhone 3GS as my main camera, even more, the new iPod Touch. If I want to take pictures and keep memories, I want them to be as good as they can be. I have the Samsung TL 225 camera which I believe is 12ish megapixels. I know megapixels isn't everything, but hell, those pictures come out good. The other thing I like about it is it turns on fast for quick shots, takes good photos, and its very compact (so I pretty much stick it in my pocket all the time). It MSRPs for $349.99 (I think?) but I bought mine for $225 on Amazon and a 8GB microSD from Amazon for $10.

5. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

No. But I always have it with me just in case.

Main Camera: Nikon D90
    Backup Camera: Nikon D3000
    Backup Backup Camera: Sony DSC-W80
    Worst Case Scenario Camera: Apple iPod touch 4th Generation

6. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Ipod Touch 4G's camera sucks the big one. Use it only in a pinch. Apple needs to re-think this form over function concept, as thin is not 'in' when you have a camera this bad. I have lots of experience post processing images from my DSLR, and even with my software, I can't get those pics looking good enough for a 5x7 print. Too much noise, blur (no flash), and white balance is way off in many cases. Video is pretty good though.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The camera function is just a still capture from video, and it's less than 1 MP. It will suffice, but you should probably buy a $150 digital camera for most stuff.

8. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Keep your Flip Mino, yeah the iTouch does HD video but filming also drains the crap outta the battery so unless you want to walk around with a dead iPod most of the day I would stick with the Flip Mino just to save battery on the iTouch unless you need to use that one.

9. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Yeah, that.

10. aNYthing24 macrumors member

I use it for video recording time to time. The quality is pretty good. But it pretty much sucks for stills unless you have good lighting...and even then the resolution is pretty low.

11. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I definitely wouldn't use it as a main camera, but for taking random videos and quick snaps, it's not that bad.

12. Panther71 macrumors regular

I, personally, wouldn't rely on the iPod Touch camera even if had the same specs as the iPhone camera. If I want a good photo I use my DSLR. If I want a quick photo, I will use my iPod Touch camera.

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I generally use the camera on my 3Gs however if I didn't have that on me I would use my iPod Touch.

14. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Listen to this man.

15. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

get a real camera if you want to see those photos 5 years from now with out crying on how horrible they are

16. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

No, definitely not, only 0.7 megapixel. Although the pictures in iPod looks so good, but when you review in computer, totally different!

17. Adisah macrumors regular

18. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

:D

I've gotten maybe 4-5 decent photos from my iPod. I notice the room has to be well lit.

19. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

My iPod as a main camera?

Not by a longshot. It does have it's uses though for a quick facebook photo and such but if I'm going on a vacation, my camera comes with me and second to that, is the 5MP shooter on my phone (MyTouch 4G).

20. isababa12 macrumors newbie