Is the Jet Black worth the micro abrasions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncanator, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

The Jet Black is GORGEOUS (although I have the Matte Black). I am curious if the JB is worth the micro abrasions that it is inevitable to get? Does anyone regret getting it due to this issue?

2. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

It's the most beautiful gadget I've ever owned. And I'm cool with the abrasions. I'm on T-Mobile Jump so I'm not as OCD about scratches like I used to be. I'm just enjoying the phone and looking at each scratch as a unique fingerprint of my usage.

Hope that helps.

3. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I think so. I'm returning my silver 7 for a JB. It feels so much less slippery in hand. I wouldn't use a case either. The micro scratches would add character.

4. vdor macrumors member

vdor

Like the guy above, I used to be obsessive (which was to an unhealthy point) about my iPhones. There is nothing wrong with babying your device or treating things you pay for with some respect, which I do of course, but I'm not constantly adding stress to my life by worrying about something like fingerprints or micro abrasions.

With that said, yes, the Jet Black is totally worth it. I had tried out the black while I waited for the Jet Black to arrive, and I knew I wouldn't be happy with it. When the Jet Black arrived, I was so happy with the color, it's beautiful. Plus it just feels different, I can't explain it exactly, but the finish (and the buttons) feels so much better than the regular aluminum, in my opinion.

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It's the finish. And it doesn't feel slippery!! Finally!!

And oh, get busy living (using your phone and not worrying about scratches) or get busy dying :)

6. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

It would really depend on how much you prefer a glossy finish.

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Yes they do. Several guys at work have Jet Black. It's truly gorgeous when new.

Their consensus was why not enjoy it without a case!

Two weeks in, some of the phones only had minor abrasions and scratches. Others are fading slightly due to the haze and stains from skin oils. It's not bad, they are each unique to their owner.

There's no other phone like it.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's the best finish to rock naked due to its gripability and I think it's nicer feel in the hand relative to matte aluminum.

Fine micro-abrasions are inevitable but they're just as obvious as fine scratches you find within the ologophobic coating on the screen, which are only visible under direct light.

9. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

A question better answered in a few months. Phones get old. Shiny phones get old and dull.

10. Plumber007 macrumors member

Plumber007

It seems to me the finish is too soft so I'm going just plain flat black. If it had as good an anodizing as a Van Staal i'd be all over it. Nope, wouldn't be happy with "character" at all.

VAN STAAL VS150B - BLACK SPINNING REEL - LEFT HAND WIND - NON BAIL.jpg

11. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I'm gonna be 100% honest here. I was not able to get my jet black iPhone 7 plus on launch day because Best Buy screwed up my preorder. A couple days later I found a black 7 plus. Well today I was able to finally get a jet black from the Apple Store. The last couple weeks I kept watching videos and reading reviews about the jet black. As hard as I tried I couldn't get it out of my head!! Don't get me wrong the black is nice but the jet black is in a league of its own and I couldn't be happier. It all starts with the black box.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent point(s). The Jet Black is grippier than aluminum models and your correct, the micro abrasions add character. If you can live them, then more power to you.

13. Mansali macrumors member

This is all you need to know about the jet black.

What makes iPhone 7 jet black special is it's ability to carve onto itself the user experience...thanks to our 9 step ionization process we were able to create a surface that can tell a story about its user. These beautiful marks tell their story as you shine a beam of concentrated light onto the phone, revealing A glistening array of history and experience .... creating a sense of meloncholly and at the same time a sense of beauty reflective of the user experience. As your life and iPhone 7 jet black share a unique experience...unique to only you... iPhone 7 jet black doesn't just stay the same but instead melds beautifully into a character that is reflective of its user...creating a user experience that only iPhone 7 jet black can deliver.

The iphone 7 jet black transcends what one may call a robust user experience...its not just the experience of having an iphone but much much more for the user, its the very representation of what it means to develop an everlasting and visually charged experience. We needed a way for our users to tell a very intimate and personal story about their phone and we were able to find a new method of ionization which lead to a breakthrough in ionization technology leading to the back plate of iphone 7 jet black. By ionizing iphone 7 with not one but 9 continues steps of ionization process, each ionization process working to create a shine so sharp and so bright looking and something that cannot be fully experienced by just a video or picture. To truly feel and look at the new back of iphone 7 jet black is something that just cannot be replicated by any other phones in the market. The ionized back of iphone 7 jet black creates something we call "micro abrasions". This new breakthrough technology goes beyond the hardware and software integration and goes to the heart of why we use our phones, it creates a sense of user-phone integration... with the use of "micro abrasions" iphone 7 can meld itself to its user and with it create a phone that is unique to each user personality, history and most importantly leaves a mark that is so intimate that it creates a bond that can never be broken between user and phone.

Now we will do a demo. In this demo we will show you the breakthrough of micro abrasions and how it can shape the very essence of what we call an iphone user fully integrated experience.

14. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

It's totally worth it. I hesitated a long time, but now that I have it, i promise you, it's totally worth it, because these micro abrasions have been WAY overblown online. The phone is pretty robust and feels so much better in the hand than the black one, plus obviously looks so much better.

15. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Yes. I've never been truly wowed by any iPhone I've owned aesthetically until the JB+.

16. kis macrumors 65816

What should be considered perhaps is the resale value. I'd say most people here will update to the iPhone 8 next year and will be selling their 7 Plus - a completely scratched up JB will yield considerable less than other models.

17. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I've considered returning my Black model back to Verizon and doing the iUP through Apple. A store in Kansas City has the Jet Black in stock.

18. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

The other note is that the jet black feels like a genuinely different phone than the 6 series. People keep asking what phone I have....which is a compliment to the idea that the design is actually new enough.

19. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Man Jony is full of it :D

20. vdor macrumors member

vdor

Coming from a SE this was a huge upgrade for me (though I'd had the 6 Plus in the past), but yes, it feels like a far different phone from the 6s, particularly because of the Jet Black finish. (I "jumped" to the SE from the 6s Rose Gold, then from the SE to the 7 Plus)

21. JayLenochiniMac, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The black 3G/3GS full of much of the same fine micro-abrasions which are only visible when you angle it toward a light source still sold for $450ish unlocked after one year.

Also, it's the "flagship" color and flagship colors (meaning most advertised) tend to have better resale value after one year. This includes the rose gold (which a good number of members didn't care for) last year and gold/white iPhones before that.

Nevertheless, those on the IUP, Next, etc. aren't concerned as they can simply trade it in.

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Moral of the story is many tried to make themselves feel better by saying the jet black wasn't worth it due to abrasions when it wasn't available. Now that it's available the abrasions are not that bad.

23. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

Went and looked at the phone in person. It is GORGEOUS but...I could not get past the fine scratches. I wish I could as I would definitely return my Black and get the JB but I would be eaten alive with the scratches personally. Other than that the phone looked stunning. I did like the grippyness it had compared to the Matte models. If it did not get the scratches so easy I would be all over it.

On a side note, and what I did find weird, is that several demo models, 7 and 7+, had the hissing sound that myself, and others, have encountered. (Sorry to derail just figured I'd mention I thought it was strange).

24. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Fwiw, I'm still mighty jealous of the Jet Black -- every time I see it.

The funny thing is, a couple colleagues finally got their hands on a Jet Black, and when you ask them how they like it, they're usually dismissive and say, "It's nice but I'd recommend you'd go with the Black because of the scratches."

But when you ask them if they would trade their Jet Black for Matte if one became available, I get a resounding "Hell NO, I love my Jet Black!" :rolleyes: