Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ok, so maybe not dead, but disguised? I got a message, a little translucent window that told me I must reboot my computer. I also saw an iMac at CompUSA with the same message. I couldn't do anything but reboot. Is this Apple's new face for the kernel panic? It seems more user friendly, but I've seen more in 10.2 than I can remember in any other version of OS X...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hmm.. there may have been some sort of problem with the posts tonight... we'll see if this happens more...

As for the kernel panic..

Yes - the "kernel panic" is gone.... it's not a reboot screen that pops up.

arn

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That's a first for UNIX. "Oh, and by the way, your system is crashing. Would you please re-boot to avoid permanent damage?" :D

dnte42

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Ah, yes, the new kernel panic. I got three of them just trying to throw away Microsoft Office after I got the first one when the updater crashed. Go Microsoft. I had to boot into 9 to cleanse my system...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Sorry about putting this thread in the wrong place (unless it was a server thing) I didn't even notice where it was going. I kinda miss the old kernel panic. It made me feel like more of a geek...

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Oh well, the kernel panic wasn't my favorite part of UNIX. I won't be shedding any tears ;)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed with the new "calm" dialogue box. Whatever happened to putting the Fear of God into a Mac user?! "Sorry, a system error occurred" with a picture of a bomb about to explode and a restart/resume button that never worked. Now THAT was good! Or the picture of the Mac running away and lines of mysterious code... or a Sad Mac with the Hawaiian Death Chimes to greet you... those were the days! ;)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Even though kernel panics weren't that serious as a long time mac user anything that the system generates that is white on black would make me uneasy. It probably gave too many people seizures when they associated it with a sad mac.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Does anyone know if the sad mac is actually dead? I know I haven't seen it since I tried to run Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 on a Macintosh LC, but does it still exist somewhere?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Does anyone know if the sad mac is actually dead? I know I haven't seen it since I tried to run Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 on a Macintosh LC, but does it still exist somewhere?
You can still see him when you start Classic... so he's been given a stay of execution, I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.