Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Mine works for me just fine. I use it as a "a computer that is portable and suitable for use while traveling." whether it is across country(ies), my abode, or just from conference room to conference room.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I got told off on another thread for calling the MacBook a laptop. Apparently it's a notebook.

What's a laptop? And why isn't the MacBook one?

It's marketing bumf to keep the lawsuits at bay. If it's called a laptop then that implies being able to use it on your lap but that can lead to all sorts of legal issues. So the marketing people call them notebooks but the public calls them laptops. Thus, laptops. Notebook is such a silly term.

Reactions: OneMike

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
A laptop is a cheap computer for people who rent apartments, ride the bus, and have blue collar jobs.

A notebook is an expensive computer for people who can afford furniture.

BJ

Whats wrong with you? Seriously? You constantly have this super annoying elitist tone in your comments. Do you seriously think that Apple products and fancy stuff make you somehow a better person?

"Notebook is an expensive computer for people who can afford furniture."

Are you freaking serious? I'm a student living in a small rent apartment and yet I have around 5K € worth of electronic devices around. Thats because I work hard during summers (yes, during summers I have to do blue collar jobs because I don't have a degree yet). I save for the things I actually need and enjoy. I appreciate quality.

Besides that, whats wrong with rent apartments and bus rides? Your mind is seriously twisted. Honestly, you sound like some hedonist freeloader who never had to work for success. Get grip to a real life and learn some freaking manners.

Cheers.

Reactions: mjs402

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Whats wrong with you? Seriously? You constantly have this super annoying elitist tone in your comments. Do you seriously think that Apple products and fancy stuff make you somehow a better person?

"Notebook is an expensive computer for people who can afford furniture."

Are you freaking serious? I'm a student living in a small rent apartment and yet I have around 5K € worth of electronic devices around. Thats because I work hard during summers (yes, during summers I have to do blue collar jobs because I don't have a degree yet). I save for the things I actually need and enjoy. I appreciate quality.

Besides that, whats wrong with rent apartments and bus rides? Your mind is seriously twisted. Honestly, you sound like some hedonist freeloader who never had to work for success. Get grip to a real life and learn some freaking manners.

Cheers.

I always found boltjames's humbleness one of his strongest traits!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder if the Macbook and the iPad Pro are designed to work together, i recently brought a iPad Pro and don't get me wrong i love it, but as a writer and someone who loves using a Mac keyboard i do think that the iPad Pro is a great companion to a Macbook. That's not to say it can't replace a Mac because i think it can in terms of everyday use, browsing the web, Facebook, twitter email and so on.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I wonder if the Macbook and the iPad Pro are designed to work together, i recently brought a iPad Pro and don't get me wrong i love it, but as a writer and someone who loves using a Mac keyboard i do think that the iPad Pro is a great companion to a Macbook. That's not to say it can't replace a Mac because i think it can in terms of everyday use, browsing the web, Facebook, twitter email and so on.

Can you elaborate on that?
New rMacBook but find that my use of it and my consumptive habits (iPad Mini) don't task overlap. There are times I wish my rMB had a touchscreen but these don't coincide with using the iPad. ;)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Can you elaborate on that?
New rMacBook but find that my use of it and my consumptive habits (iPad Mini) don't task overlap. There are times I wish my rMB had a touchscreen but these don't coincide with using the iPad. ;)

i think it may depend on tasks, for example i use the App PDF Expert on my iPad Pro and along with the Apple Pencil it allows me to write on PDF documents, which when correcting mistakes or just making notes (which can also be done using Apples own Notes App) i find it great to use and combining that with iCloud Drive which saves the PDF's and documents i can then edit them or type up notes when i get back to my Mac. As a writer i find this VERY helpful and i use it daily along with other Apps such as Final Draft which also has an iPad app that i can use to edit writings.

Also the bigger screen on the iPad Pro is great when using multitasking, the same feature that i also use on my Macbook thanks to OSX El Capitan, again a feature i love, but that is once again a personal preference.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
i think it may depend on tasks, for example i use the App PDF Expert on my iPad Pro and along with the Apple Pencil it allows me to write on PDF documents, which when correcting mistakes or just making notes (which can also be done using Apples own Notes App) i find it great to use and combining that with iCloud Drive which saves the PDF's and documents i can then edit them or type up notes when i get back to my Mac. As a writer i find this VERY helpful and i use it daily along with other Apps such as Final Draft which also has an iPad app that i can use to edit writings.

Also the bigger screen on the iPad Pro is great when using multitasking, the same feature that i also use on my Macbook thanks to OSX El Capitan, again a feature i love, but that is once again a personal preference.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that. I do a lot of technical doc review generally in custom Word formats however pdf's also come into play.

Reactions: Dave245

Bioshock.Rocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
They stopped calling them laptops after the processors were getting so hot that they were scolding people. :p

I'm half serious.
They should call the rMB a stove-top, under certain tasks it feel like I could cook a whole meal on the bottom of this Macbook.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
If you go to Apple's website, this is how the 12" Macbook Retina is described:

"With the new MacBook, we set out to do the impossible: engineer a full-size experience into the lightest and most compact Mac notebook ever"

And this is how the MacBook Pro is described:

"When we designed MacBook Pro with Retina display, we started with a blank slate. That gave us the freedom to imagine something radical, something entirely different. A notebook so thin, so light, and so powerful it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen before. A notebook designed for the future, but ready to use today."

It's market speak ....Laptop and Notebook are the same thing. When searching online for various differences in definitions they both came up with the same....

"A notebook is an extremely lightweight personal computer."
"A laptop is a small, portable computer"

Regarding being told off? That's typically when I check out of that thread and move on to the next.....much more important things in life to be worried about than internet strangers insulting me.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It's all the same, practically. If people want to nitpick about differences, the differences are quite minute in most cases.

A notebook is a BMW and a laptop is a Hyundai. Now, you can say that both vehicles have 4 wheels and are both sedan's but they are hardly the same thing.

BJ

iUseMacBooks

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
A notebook is a BMW and a laptop is a Hyundai. Now, you can say that both vehicles have 4 wheels and are both sedan's but they are hardly the same thing.

BJ

Interesting. I wasn't aware that you can drive the new MacBook. How many MPG does it get in the city? I'll make sure to get the oil changed regularly.

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Let's see I used my rMB on:

My lap
On a desk
On an airplane tray table
At a coffee shop
At home
A picnic table
I keep it in a Velcro cover in my carry bag

So it's a laptop, desktop, tray tabletop, counter top, coffee top, picnic top and is fully portable.

Great machine and now I rarely use my i7 quad Mac mini with a ssd and 1T hard drive in my office.

Labels.

Ps I'm writing this from my iPad Air 2 in a hotel bar at 10 pm.

Reactions: DougFNJ

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
It's marketing bumf to keep the lawsuits at bay. If it's called a laptop then that implies being able to use it on your lap but that can lead to all sorts of legal issues. So the marketing people call them notebooks but the public calls them laptops. Thus, laptops. Notebook is such a silly term.
This is the explanation I always was told and makes the most sense.

Reactions: duervo

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Fact is Apple does not use the term "laptop" because it implies that they can safely be used while placed on your lap. That's not always true, so the safer (legal) option for them is to use the term "notebook."

It's all the same crap though, but there will always be "that guy" that will sue given half a chance.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Notebook vs. Laptop is like mansion vs. house. Mansions and houses do the same thing - living spaces. However, what differentiates the two is the residents in them. When one says "I have to go back to my mansion" instead of "I have to go back to my house," we immediately realize that he/she is an important person with important things to do. And we assume he/she is going back to the "mansion" to continue his important work. If one says "I have to go back to my house," we assume (and are correct most of the time) that he/she has to do errands and houseworks such as laundry.

Same for notebooks. Notebooks have important data and files that move and shape the world. Laptops, on the other hand, only have selfie pictures and recycled cover letters. When one says "I need my notebook," he/she is likely to do important work on the "device" that will influence the way others live in one way or another. When one says "I need my laptop," he/she is likely to use the "appliance" to watch Pewdiepie on YouTube.

Notebooks are for wealthy professionals whose lives are defined by achievements. Laptops are for middle class wannabes who make less than $250k / yr. Notebook owners chase life while laptop owners are chased by others' lives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.