Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
If using a computer on the drop down tray while squashed into the middle seat of the seat row that doesn't recline at the back of cattle class, is your desire, then I think you should have gotten a MBA 11". At least then using that computer would allow you to have a high resolution camera for FaceTime instead of the low resolution pixelated one in the rMB.

The MB is smaller, lighter, with a larger screen, better screen resolution, wider keyboard, and larger trackpad. What's the problem with it on a plane? It seems like the perfect computer for it. In cattle class, I usually try and choose aisle seats, exit rows, and so forth, but a middle seat would not be a problem with the MB. I'm not sure how in the world an 11" would be better on the plane. Don't get me wrong -- I've taken the 11" on a plane before, and it is fine, but the MB is really quite nice (for the reasons above).

Yeah. The camera is not especially thrilling, as is often the case in Apple devices (early iPads, iPods, etc.), but it isn't awful either. They seem to get a generation or two behind for some reason, while the latest iPhone is the only exciting thing in the lineup. But, I can see my family clearer on the MB, and the resolution isn't so terrible that my family is going to wish 11" on me or anything, so the tradeoff (lower quality on their end / higher quality on mine) seems fair to me.

As for the TSA and airport security around the world, they have a job to do, and I try to help them out as much as I can by taking out all of my electronics. It makes things go faster, even if I could "technically" keep the iPad or Kindle in my bag. I really don't want to go through the extra screening anywhere.

As I recall, Hong Kong security was a little confusing (I read Chinese, but still had to ask about the last turn in the hallway to get into it on a connecting flight a few months back), but besides that, no worries -- they didn't bat an eye at the MB. In the business lounge, I remember a lot of PCs, but that might be because folks are using work computers or something. I rarely see MBs in the wild, surprisingly, though I expect we'll see more of them as word spreads and the not-so-great reviews get forgotten, especially in the second generation, when folks feel more comfortable purchasing it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Gotta say that's impressive. Still hoping for gen 2 to bring improvements but impressive nontheless

Well, well, well.

Another myth busted. Used to be that the only things the 12" MacBook couldn't be counted on doing was a) playing detailed fast-moving video games and b) rendering 4K videos. Now we're down to just gaming.

BJ

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Well, well, well.

Another myth busted. Used to be that the only things the 12" MacBook couldn't be counted on doing was a) playing detailed fast-moving video games and b) rendering 4K videos. Now we're down to just gaming.

BJ

On lowest settings, I can log in to wow and take care of my garrison dailies without a hiccup.. I probably won't try to do anything intensive and it would definitely go poorly in a raid, but it does work for dailies..

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The Macbook's keyboard is inherently badly designed and unusable, and that's why it got slated in reviews. If anything, I don't think people were hard enough on it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The Macbook's keyboard is inherently badly designed and unusable, and that's why it got slated in reviews. If anything, I don't think people were hard enough on it.

except that it isn't and it's not, if my experience, and the experience of many others on these forums, is any indication. i'd be interested to hear why you think that way. saying it is this or that doesn't make it so. but, we've all got opinions, and it's nice to know why people form the opinions they do.

reviews were mainly unenthusiastic about the mb, but for different reasons, and there have certainly been reviews touting the keyboard, like this one:
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-macbook-keyboard-2015-4

Reactions: Jayderek

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

OMG, does that mean that you're not going to buy a notebook you weren't going to buy anyway?

BJ

Reactions: Queen6

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
except that it isn't and it's not, if my experience, and the experience of many others on these forums, is any indication. i'd be interested to hear why you think that way. saying it is this or that doesn't make it so. but, we've all got opinions, and it's nice to know why people form the opinions they do.

reviews were mainly unenthusiastic about the mb, but for different reasons, and there have certainly been reviews touting the keyboard, like this one:

These forums aren't a statistically useful amount of people, and are prone to delusional defenses of Apple errors. There are people here who will seriously claim that the puck mouse was fine.

The keyboard does not have enough travel on it to be usable, either quickly or accurately. That why keyboards have throw in the first place.
[doublepost=1452086516][/doublepost]
OMG, does that mean that you're not going to buy a notebook you weren't going to buy anyway?

BJ

I did buy one, and returned it. I'd buy another if this keyboard was scrapped.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

BJ

This is why rMB owners here are doing prospective buyers a disservice. Some of us have considered the rMB and documented the flaws that need fixing to make it a viable laptop, but there's a desire to make sure such points are drowned out by noise. Those who document the reason they reject the rMB are providing the Apple community with a service by avoiding the groupthink that is prevalent in here..

Reactions: The Phazer

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013

Are you kidding?

It feels tight and controlled, and I absolutely love typing on it.

The older style feels like typing on marshmallows now.

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
Are you kidding?

It feels tight and controlled, and I absolutely love typing on it.

The older style feels like typing on marshmallows now.

I love the new keyboard too. And not one of the machines limitations effects me in any way. I smiled when the Apple Store sales person asked me if, as a writer, I thought the relatively small hard drive of the base model would be enough. I'd need my mathematician son to calculate how many hundreds of thousands if not millions of pages of text and notes and research documents a 256gb hard drive could hold.

BUT: arguing about keyboards is as silly as arguing about broccoli, whether it tastes good. It is wholly subjective. I love broccoli and I love this keyboard, but my heavens I can understand that there are people who hate both.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
I agree with the pro rMB crowd argument here. The keyboard in my time with it feels great. no key wobble, every key feels the same and precise. takes only a few days to get used to it and after that feels natural. not buying it because of the keyboard is like cutting off your hand to spite your face. Your the only one missing out over something so stupid.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This is why rMB owners here are doing prospective buyers a disservice. Some of us have considered the rMB and documented the flaws that need fixing to make it a viable laptop, but there's a desire to make sure such points are drowned out by noise. Those who document the reason they reject the rMB are providing the Apple community with a service by avoiding the groupthink that is prevalent in here..

What wonderful story this is. If only you added a rabbit carrying a basket of chocolate eggs or a fairy putting money under a pillow.

Try this one on for size: After almost a year of being trolled incessantly by MacBook haters and clickbait bloggers, the actual owners of the products are fighting back.

BJ

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
What wonderful story this is. If only you added a rabbit carrying a basket of chocolate eggs or a fairy putting money under a pillow.

Try this one on for size: After almost a year of being trolled incessantly by MacBook haters and clickbait bloggers, the actual owners of the products are fighting back.

BJ

Once again I agree here. So in response to Dogslobber, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the MacBook preventing it from being a "viable laptop". The only thing your doing to the apple community is stopping them from buying a perfectly competent laptop that is ultra portable and fits many needs all because of your distain for a product that didn't live up to what you expected in your fantasy world so you want everyone to share in your misery. Go ahead and cry about it to everyone on the forums while us owners enjoy the fruits of our labor...*sips tea*

palpatine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2011
except that it isn't and it's not, if my experience, and the experience of many others on these forums, is any indication. i'd be interested to hear why you think that way. saying it is this or that doesn't make it so. but, we've all got opinions, and it's nice to know why people form the opinion they do.

reviews were mainly unenthusiastic about the mb, but for different reasons, and there have certainly been reviews touting the keyboard as well, like this one:
These forums aren't a statistically useful amount of people, and are prone to delusional defenses of Apple errors. There are people here who will seriously claim that the puck mouse was fine.

The keyboard does not have enough travel on it to be usable, either quickly or accurately. That why keyboards have throw in the first place.
[doublepost=1452086516][/doublepost]

I did buy one, and returned it. I'd buy another if this keyboard was scrapped.

i never claimed they were statistically anything. these forums contain people's opinions about products, and we are offering ours. the keyboard is perfectly usable -- i am a writer / researcher who types on it all day, and i prefer it to other keyboards. that's my experience with it, but your mileage may vary. i am not sure why you keep speaking in absolute terms and presenting your opinions as facts, because i don't think that helps other folks to make decisions about whether to buy it or not. it just muddies the waters.

i started this thread to collect opinions about the macbook, both ones that support the conclusions of reviewers and ones that don't. despite dogslobber's claim that there is groupthink going on, i think we've gotten a nice range of opinions. i do hope that someone who is considering the macbook does not rely solely on reviews, which i found sadly lacking in this case, but reads our opinions as well in order to find out what owners of the macbook actually think of its performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: David58117

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think over all the rMB is a fine computer that is not meant for everyone, i.e., its not ideal for everyone. One size doesn't fit all. With that said, I also echo the sentiment of the other posters, who are basically saying some of these negative reviews can be categorized as clickbait.

Agreed. It is nice to have choices. I'd love to have one.

mistamarko

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015

BJ

Posting just to point out that boltjames is my favorite poster here.

Now, back to lurking.

Reactions: boltjames

greenlemons

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
reads our opinions as well in order to find out what owners of the macbook actually think of its performance.

But it's hard to know who you can trust, because there are so many users on this forum trivializing the way others use their computers. eg: "I don't pretend I need 50 web tabs open to feel important as some have stated as a "must"", "Unless your work requires you to create CGi for Star Wars - I seriously doubt rMB will slow down your workflows", etc.

I am a heavy zBrush and Maya user (but I don't work for ILM), so I already know I won't be able to rely on the rMB as a primary work machine. However, I am considering the rMB as my second machine, and need to know I can count on it for my idea of casual use, which may include having 50 tabs open at any given time (please don't ask me why, or to change the way I work) while I play a movie/music or stream a basketball game.

I haven't owned a Mac since the Pismo, so I mostly check these forums for QA issues. the rMB keyboard and the lack of ports isn't an issue for me, and I love everything about it (especially the non-glowing logo). Although I do wish the multi adapter came with the machine. I will probably just test drive it for the 2 weeks.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
This smugness here is remarkable.

"My opinion is the only right one and if you don't agree, then you're just plain wrong." It shouldn't be surprising, it's kind of the direction our country is going anyway..

Here's the bottom line, some folks like the keyboard, some don't.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's the bottom line, some folks like the keyboard, some don't.
Yup and neither are right in a general sense. My opinion is right for me but that doesn't mean its right for everyone.

I think we're going to see a number design ideas that are currently in the MacBook make their way into the MBP, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the keyboard.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Yup and neither are right in a general sense. My opinion is right for me but that doesn't mean its right for everyone.

I think we're going to see a number design ideas that are currently in the MacBook make their way into the MBP, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the keyboard.

I think we can be pretty certain that the new Apple magic keyboard 2 design will find itself in the rmbp/MBA soon enough. Obviously it takes many design cues from the macbook, however after trying one in store, the travel is noticeably better albeit a bit shallower than the original apple wireless keyboard

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Has anybody else had a chance to compare the rMB keyboard half a year vs now and felt that the travel has slightly increased? Maybe I'm seeing... uh... typing things... but now I kinda wish I got it. The previous one felt like bumping my fingertips against the desk.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I've had my rMB for about 4 months now, and absolutely love it. The KB needed some getting used to, but after a bit of use I'm much faster and more comfortable on it, than the standard MBP/MBA KB.

Overall the performance is fine for what I'm using it for. I don't plan on doing 3D modeling on it, so I have no concerns about heat, performance, etc.

It's a great little machine. Light, portable, and fast for my needs.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
But it's hard to know who you can trust, because there are so many users on this forum trivializing the way others use their computers. eg: "I don't pretend I need 50 web tabs open to feel important as some have stated as a "must"", "Unless your work requires you to create CGi for Star Wars - I seriously doubt rMB will slow down your workflows", etc.

It's not a matter of who you can trust (as an aside, I can give you a list of names if you prefer) but it's a matter of understanding. Start with this:

There are no 'quality' issues. It's Apple we're talking about here. The RMB has to be one of the most solidly built notebooks in history, the thing is incredibly well-engineered and tight. Remember that the Pro and the Air were both designed around 2006, before the iPhone was even released! Here 10 years later, Apple has taken all of its knowledge on miniaturization and construction from the iOS devices and for the first time put it into a notebook. You have no worries about 'quality'. Next to the iPhone 6, this may be the best designed and engineered piece of hardware Apple has ever created.

There are no 'functionality' issues. What exists is a lack of understanding of what the RMB is and why it exists. The RMB is not "missing" ports, the camera isn't too "low res", the processor isn't "too slow", the keyboard isn't "too radical". This is a notebook for a different kind of user. This is the first notebook that truly recognizes that most people do not need all the horsepower and all the functionality that most notebooks provide as standard equipment today. This is a notebook for someone who does typical things an executive or a student might do. So with that in mind, Apple stripped away all the stuff that the typical user doesn't use all the time and gave us an alternative world where the product can be as thin and light as it is.

Too many people expect Apple to start with the Air or the Pro and make it lighter and thinner. Apple instead tore down those two notebooks to their bare essentials as a way to connect with a very large audience that doesn't want to drag around weight and legacy technologies they don't use. Start there. If you need ports, don't get an RMB. If you render 4K TV commercials for a living, don't get an RMB. But if you just email and Skype and use Excel and Word and Powerpoint and browse a bit and watch the occasional movie, the RMB is a fantastic device.

BJ

greenlemons

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Actually if I were a student or an executive I'd just be wondering whether or not it could handle 50 tabs and an HD stream without a hiccup, but yo...

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Another very good logical and informative post by BJ.

Now why cant the few same people who keep posting on this forum just to simply slag the MB off post knowledgeable and informed posts as well. Instead they come on here digging as deep as they can to find someone who has had a tiny one off fault with a MB and then try and turn it into a major issue and then say that all MB's have major issues. These people don't realise how sad they are, if i hated a laptop for whatever reason i wouldn't keep visiting a forum just to come and slag it off, i would spend my time visiting forum about a laptop i like. I often wonder what the real reason is these people come here, because it not to be helpful, and it's not helping anyone by slagging off the best laptop ever made, i think its probably jealousy or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.