Is the macbook pro really that bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrono1081, Mar 22, 2008.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just bought one of these 8 hours ago and all I see is negative comments on the board. Are the macbook pros really that bad? Should I cancel and go with a desktop instead?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

People post when they have a problem, its usually useless to post "I have a good Mac"...in all likelihood your MBP will be perfect :)

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Apple could bring out the perfect computer - and people would still complain!

I think my MBP is ***** superb.

4. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i got one few weeks ago, OMG they are awesome. i dont know why people complain. oh wait...they complain about them cause they dont have one!!! hahahahahaha

5. Lenortic577 macrumors member

Depends what you want, if you want something light, small, MBP is not for you. If you want a good balance between portability and power, then the MBP is perfect.

6. GirthP macrumors regular

The best computer I own.

I am in love with mine. And I even had some wake from sleep problems, which are non-existent now.

You will not be disappointed. I hope!

:)

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Post #2 has a good point. I love my MBP and it's never missed a beat. Best Laptop I've ever owned and ever used.

You will be happy with it.

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

There's no point at all in reading forums like these looking to see what the general opinion of a computer is.

Have you ever read any threads that say "My new computer has no problems"? No.

You'll love your new Macbook Pro. Many people I know have them, and they wouldn't get rid of them for anything.

Stop worrying!:)

9. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ok Im feeling better about my purchase :) I wasn't really looking for portability with it as it will mostly be hooked to a 22 inch monitor. For portability I have an eeePC (wonderful by the way!).

And on a side note I had to call apple because I accidentally ordered the matte screen instead of glossy and omg I spent a litteral 3 min on the phone and it was fixed! Amazing. You dont get speed like that from most companies. I cant wait for my first mac to arrive :D

10. asmallchild macrumors regular

What's the aluminum casing like?

An Ars Technica reviewer seemed to indicate that the case was prone to pitting, denting, and palm rest discoloration. And the aluminum case also interfered with wireless signal acquisition.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Denting is if you're not careful with it.

Pitting- only after very heavy use.

Discoloration- only after heavy use with dirty hands.:D

Wifi- Not that bad.

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

It's the phenomenon of the vocal [internet] minority.

I love my MBP. :D

13. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

The MacBook Pro is awesome indeed, depending on what you'll be using it for. Mine compliments my iMac desktop, and for portability, I take around my MacBook Air. Pretty much in a nutshell, the best computers from Apple I own right now. Couldn't be any more happier myself right now.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Mine rocks. Had it for over a year and a half and not a single issue. It does everything I ask it to perfectly!

15. Crossbone macrumors regular

16. gipsyfreedom macrumors newbie

i got a new penryn mbp and its pretty awesome. no issues.

i would bet that the mbp has no more issues then other notebooks by ibm, dell, toshiba...

the thing is that mac os and mac hardware are one business. imagine a general forum where it is about any notebook hardware issues, the mb(p) would be listed like all four-five page...

the other thing is, it seems like a competition of people which examines their books only to find issues and post them instead of being happy with it. (maybe they all work for microsoft to keep users away from apple)

17. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I plan on getting an iMac in april. Im converting everything to mac but since they're $$$ I gotta do it a piece at a time lol. Ive used macs in the past and loved them but it wasnt until today when vista wouldnt let me format a perfectly good drive that I realized that this was the straw that broke the camels back and vista is unusable for my work, so I decided it was time to take the plunge and get a mac.

(BTW Im not trying to turn this into a vista vs mac thread I was just stating what happened and what caused me to switch)

18. RandiC macrumors member

There are always going to be bad hardware thats the way it is, But when I see a post ( Does my screen have a yellow tint or My dvd rom sounds like a chicken when I put in a cd) most of these problems are in peoples heads just because a hand full of machines have problems doesn't mean all do. We own 5 macbook Pros and not 1 has any problem.

19. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

They have high defect rates, but they're not bad computers. When you're lucky enough to get one without any issues, they're truly awesome. That's why, as you may have noticed, that even the vocal minority here are usually willing to try and try again until they get a good one, rather than just giving up on the model. I certainly fall into that category; and even though it took me forever to finally get one without defects, that's where I am right now.

You also have to keep in mind that obsessive-compulsive disorder seems to run rampant among users of Apple computers. I'm certainly guilty as charged. Whether many of us were already that way, or whether we were made that way simply by knowing that we paid WAAAAAYYYYYYY too much damn money for our machines, who knows.

20. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

the people here in this forum cannot represent the whole MBP population.
    so don't be afraid, go ahead and enjoy your purchase:)

21. BiggeeC macrumors regular

I just bought my new MacBook Pro (2.4 Ghz w/2GB ram) on Wednesday. It's everything I thought it would be: perfect. As far as wifi goes, it flies for me. Then again, I was going from a 700Mhz G3 ibook with an ooooold airport card.........so anything is an upgrade. Seriously though, no problems here. Gets a bit "warm", but not too bad. You won't be disappointed.

--Chris

22. pionata macrumors 6502

It's a piece of crap, but it's also the best piece of crap you can buy.

23. xWinDows macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro is VERY VERY VERY BAD .....

for your wallet :D:D:D. My household of 4 are all windows user. I then originally bought one for myself last year. Today, I already have 5 (2 MBPs, 2MBs, and 1 iMac) in the house. That's how much WE love ours. :apple: I still have one windows laptop for my work.:mad:

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

On my 4th Macbook Pro... couldn't be happier (well, maybe a lil cheaper)

The tinting/heating issue is true, most people on this board are obsessed with their computers and a lot of the time almost try to create problems. Chances are your machine will be perfect, and if not Apple care is genius.

25. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Im definetly going to buy the apple care even though im a computer tech cause I dont want to pay for parts if the screen or something goes. Im gonna buy it from amazon though because it is $50 cheaper and when I bought my mac, I bought it with my amazon card so ill use the gift certificates I get to buy the apple care :)

Unfortunatly I have quite a wait as I am overseas so I have to wait for it to ship to my house in the us then to apo : / I hate waiting :'(