Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
What's the aluminum casing like?

An Ars Technica reviewer seemed to indicate that the case was prone to pitting, denting, and palm rest discoloration. And the aluminum case also interfered with wireless signal acquisition.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

Some people's sweat can cause pitting on the palm rests - depends on your sweat pH I think :p My suggestion would be to buy the marware protection pack - that solves the problem - and the material the palm rest covers are made out of is more comfortable than the bare aluminum anyway. In addition to sweat, it will protect the aluminum from, say, a watch you happen to be wearing. And yeah, I hear in reviews it can leave some residue when you remove it.. but I've never heard about anyone being unable to get rid of said residue. So I see it as a worthwhile $20 accessory. If the computer heats up, it also buffers the heat a bit too so your hands don't get so hot :).

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
i recently purchased an MBP last week..
now i just got myself an apple keyboard..
so at home, i don't have to worry sweating on my MBP or ruining the paints from the keyboard.

by doing so, i hsve lessened the tension applied to the built in keyboard.:D

DanBUK

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Alu Casing

Do not worry about the aluminium casing. Of all the laptops I have owned, my old PowerBook (with the same Alu casing as the MBP) was the toughest of the lot. It withstood housemates tripping over the extension cord and pulling it to the floor- not that this will happen with your- magsafe fitted- MBP.

My friend and dad both have MBPs and never heard of any cracked cases. My 5 y/o powerbook only has 1 scratch.
;)

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
my 12 inch powerbook is still working.. still very sexy and in pristine condition.
i think aluminum will stand the fading you'll likely encounter in a plastic or carbon /poly carbon laptop.

Yeah I also have a 12" that I will be selling soon, and its flawless. I do have the Marware on it though. I think with the pitting, you either have the problem or you don't. People who have it start noticing it w/i a month of reasonable use. I guess some people are too salty :p

I agree with you though.. I don't like plastic laptops. Even if they are well made, they always feel cheap to me. I've always been attracted to Apple's pro line for that reason. That, and metal is just sexier.

chris y.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
los angeles, ca
I went from a Powerbook to a Macbook to a MBP and I can honestly say that the aluminum palm area is much easier to take care of compared to the plastic.

True aluminum dents easier, I lightly bumped the top of my powerbook while I was sliding it under my bed and it got a tiny dent, while my macbook fell about 5 from a tabletop and landed on its lower right edge, it came away with only a slight scuff on the case which was buffed out in a couple of minutes.

The one thing that I do really miss going from the macbook to the MBP is amazing wireless reception range of the macbook. I guess this is less of an issue if I got around to picking up a wireless N router.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
They are not. Though the type of screen you get with it is a toss up. I just bought an old stock MBP 2.4 SR and the first one had a hot spot in the middle of the LCD, all the colors were brighter than the rest of the screen. Really annoying when looking at macrumors and typing up papers. I havent got the chance to do photo work on it but I know it would have distracted me. Got that one exchanged for a perfect one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.