Is the MacBook Pro worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaywongy, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jaywongy macrumors member

jaywongy

okay so i've got an imac and a windows vista laptop. i need to replace my laptop because of numerous problems and would like a macbook :apple: but would i be better just getting another windows laptop or invest in a macbook :rolleyes:

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

What kind of issues are you having with the laptop?

3. darkdream macrumors member

it depends... what are you going to use it for?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As you are coming to a mac user based forum you are only going to get one answer here???

Also as you have an imac you know what using a mac is like, could you work with a windows laptop for the next couple of years? If not then Apple is the way to go!

What do you do with your laptop? If it is general web browsing then perhaps look at a refurb whitebook?

5. iCoug macrumors newbie

You do realize that you are posting on a MAC! forum, right? So of course you are going to get people telling you to buy the MacBook and if you were to post this on a Windows forum you would get the exact opposite response.

But you should spend the extra money and buy the MacBook. :D

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Or an Air if he's got the cash...

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

As an owner of 6 MacBooks/Airs/Pros in the past year, I strongly urge everyone to avoid the Air. Stick with the MBPs.

8. nateharr macrumors 6502

That probably says a lot about the answer he really wants.

I'd go MacBook.

9. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

thanks everyone and by the way i posted wrong and i was ment to ask would the macbook pro be worth it considering the normal whitebook is nearly £100 cheaper

10. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

...and i video edit and photo edit and that type of stuff

11. RKpro macrumors 6502

the mbp will have a better screen, better battery, card reader, and a bit faster than white macbook, it's up to you..

12. Griff110 macrumors member

I do the same sort of stuff bought a 13" pro and couldn't be happier with it, the screen is brilliant, although I am sure a lot of people can do the same stuff on a macbook :)

Tom

13. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hi - I do similar work, and I find the 17" MBP better for at least one key reason: the ExpressCard/34 slot.

That allows me to extend its functionality in all sorts of ways including hooking up a small drive array via eSATA with e.g. Sonnet's Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 card and dual eSATA ports.

This gives me up to 1600 Mb/sec per port which makes it much easier to support multiple drives without dropping frames in Final Cut. Single cable per drive array and no daisy chaining involved, which makes for a much cleaner setup.

If you're not planning on the 17" MBP, then well, a MBP is still a decent machine for other reasons -- including better screens as someone else mentioned earlier. You'll probably need to let your apps tell you which platform you're buying hardware for. I.e., if you already have expensive Windows-only editing apps, then you may need to stay on Windows. If not, then either platform is fair game.

14. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

About 2 years ago I got myself a white macbook for around £620 (due to the GREAT USD to GBP exchange rate back then). At the same time, my friend bought a windows laptop for about the same amount of money and with approximately the same specs.

A year later, I extended my apple care for the macbook and upgraded the RAM which probably set me back another £130. So the total spend up to then was about £750.

Recently, my friend sold his windows laptop. He managed to get about £100 for it. Personally, I think that he was lucky to sell it at all! I sold my macbook as well, but managed to get £550 for it on ebay! So effectively, he spent £520 for 2 years use of his laptop, whereas I spent £200 for the same amount of time.

So if you look at it this way, macbooks are a much better investment because they will hold their value extremely well compared to windows laptops.

Regards,

Fabian

15. W00DI macrumors member

bought mine 2 days ago a nd im addictted to it:D

16. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

No it's not worth it, but get the MBP anyway. At least the 15", antiglare screen, and the 9600GT video card.

17. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

iEndorse the above statement and want to add:

Yes, the pro is a bit more future proof, too due to the aforementioned features. The construction's a nice touch (the 13" pro is lighter than the 13" macbook) and so is the backlit keyboard. The battery is a must-have and the multi-touch trackpad is really nice. FireWire 800 vs FW400 is a big plus. The speed increase is a nice touch. The screen is awesome and the card reader comes in handy. It's thinner, too and most think it looks nicer :).

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go to the refurb section of the apple store website and look around if you haven't done so already.

OTOH, what are the problems on the vista laptop? If it's hardware, and not a cheap, easy fix, go with a mac. Is it anything windows 7 will fix?

19. waynechriss macrumors regular

Unibody form factor is excellent. Big reason to get it over the white macbook.

20. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

ok so i don't care about any software i have bought for my vista laptop and the problem i am having with the vista laptop is that the battery life is awful and the charger keeps getting blown by the laptop and i have to keep buying a new charger (or send it off to the manufacture) and then it will just happen again... this is nothing to do with the electricity in my home it is something to do with hardware as i've been told, so i think i'm going to go for the 13" mbp, oh and also should i wait until they have them back in the refurb store because i have found a mbp on the dixons website for £819

21. findnemo macrumors regular

Why buy another Visa laptop?

Why not just run Vista/7 on the Macbook? I run 7 professional on mine and it runs it perfect.

22. jaywongy thread starter macrumors member

jaywongy

Great idea!!!! :) didn't even think of that!!!!!!!!!!! :D

23. RDM3 macrumors regular

If there is a Best Buy around you they are offering 18 months same as cash through Sat 9/12, not a bad deal. Also, if they are an Apple reseller, not all BB's are resellers, see if they have an open box buys, I got my 15" uMBP 2.4ghz 250 gb hd for $880.

24. neosferatu macrumors newbie

all i got is an old 2.33 MBP...

that was couple of years ago...

not even thinking spending hard-earned $ for another laptop...

am thinking of spending some for external 1T drive though... hehehehe

25. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

"Worth" is not quantifiable. You would have to give us something that we can evaluate. A MBP might be "worth" it to me, but to someone else it will not be.

Also, you mention the £100 price difference (it is infact £150). Again, we cannot work this out for you because we don't know how much this £150 means to you.

These are not questions you can ask a group of complete strangers with different ideas, uses and financial situations than yourself, to make your decision for you.

As for me, I never considered a white macbook and bought the 2.53ghz 13" and am very happy with it.