Is the macbook right for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Drexra, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Drexra macrumors newbie

Let me just start off by saying MBP 15 inch, is way out of my price range, I know it would probably suit my needs better, but its too expensive currently. And I do like how the regular macbook is smaller.

I would be using the MB for word processing, internet (youtube) and a whole heap of Star Craft 2 at lower graphic settings :p

I was wondering if the Macbook would work for me, and if so should I try my hardest to get one now, or wait until an upgrade.

Thank you!

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't know how the macbook (I assume you're referring to the white one and not the 13" mbp) will handle Star Craft 2, but I would imagine not as well as the higher mbps. Of course if you really enjoy playing games, a PC desktop could be a superior choice.

In other respects, the macbook will perform equally well for web surfing, word processing, music, etc.

While the Buyer's Guide seems to imply that the macbook will approach its average update point within 2 months, in my opinion, Apple is going to continue extending their notebook update times until they are about a year between refreshes. If that turns out to be the case, you could be looking at another 5-7 months without an update. At that point it becomes a matter of personal decision making: can you do without for that long? Do you want to?

3. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

While I don't particularly WANT to, I can though. My laptop is dying, its just slowly though. And I did mean the white one.

Desktops wont really work, mainly because I need to be able to take it to class.

And on the starcraft front, this forum says they can run it on low-medium bootcamp with fairly high frames per second. The apple live chat people said that it could run too, I take what they say with a grain of salt however.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Nope, it requires a good dedicated graphics chips. Additionally, the resolution and screen size on the 13 inch is too hard for a strategy/war game. I wouldn't even recommend playing this game unless you have a > $200 graphics card and greater than 6 gb ram.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If that is the case, then maybe you should weight how important having a newer, more functional laptop now as opposed to dealing with issues as your semester progresses.

I personally don't take a computer to class (and I highly recommend it!) so I can't offer you much advice on how important having a brand new computer is for that.
    Well, how much time do you realistically see yourself playing Star Craft? I have a few old games that I kept mostly to entertain me once in a blue moon. If that's the case with you and Star Craft (especially in light of your classes), then don't sweat it. If, however, it's going to be your principle source of entertainment, you have a different consideration to make.

6. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

I type a whole lot faster then I write, so I can take better notes that way :p

If I can run starcraft, then I would be playing starcraft :p Only reason I don't on this current one (aside from I know it would quicken its demise) is it really overheats my laptop like a champ.

And vistadude, I'm just going off what was written here, people are saying they can play it comfortably on their macbook :p

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

I know starcraft isn't out on console yet, and may never be, but rather than doing light gaming, why don't you buy a xbox 360 or a PS3? You'll get way better graphics, performance, and far more gaming choice than buying a mac alone. You could supplement a macbook with a console, and have good performance for everything pretty much.

8. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a 360, and I don't really ever see Starcraft 2 coming to a console. So pretty much, MBP or back to PC is how its going to be?

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think the point is that OP wants to play starcraft (which is possible, just at lower settings), and that money is a constraint.

10. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

Since ive been on a yuyuhakusho binge, bingo! Cudos to whoever gets that xD

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I can type quite quickly, but that isn't why hand-written notes are better. ;):) But I don't want to derail your thread so I won't refer to this again. :)
    In that case, maybe you should try to find a way to save up more to get a better computer? If you really want to play it more often, then you should not try to make due with a computer that isn't meant to play those types of games.

12. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

Then feel free to PM me, always looking for tips on education, new to college :)

I was considering that, but when I start getting better and better laptops, they start getting bigger and bigger. I tried the huge allegedly epically awesome laptop, and I refer to it at as the monstrosity, or bessy. :p Making due is fine as long as there is little lag at least at low-med settings. :D

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That is true, but the screen real estate is really useful sometimes. And, the 15" mbps are not that heavy compared to the 13" macbook (I think the difference is 1 lb.).

14. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, Im not talking about weight. Im just saying its big, and doesn't fit well in most places. Barely fits in my backpack, and I say the word fit loosely XD

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

When I have occasionally taken my 15" mbp to school I haven't had trouble putting it into my Jansport backpack or putting it on a desk in any lecture hall. Of course this all depends on what type of backpack you have.

btw, you have to enable private messaging

16. Drexra thread starter macrumors newbie

I just trolled the User CP, and closest thing I could find was enable users to email me :p

Not the biggest backpack ever, I have to take the battery off the laptop to make it fit.

17. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

The Macbook will do everything you need, and will run Starcraft 2 very playable on low and maybe even a combination of low-medium settings.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife