Is the Magic Mouse Really that good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBPro825, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MBPro825 macrumors member

Obviously Apple has released the new magic mouse with scroll and such, but I have heard some complaints about it being uncomfortable to use some of these features. Basically my question is, "Is it worth the purchase."

2. SG1-1 macrumors member

Well, let you know when they ship, Apple has yet to start Shipping the Mouse out, I have it on order and it say's i should receive it by the 28th of October.:)

Apple Also has not released the Software to support it as of yet, It will be in the New Snow leopard update "Tuesday Snow Leopard Software Update Maybe" And as a single Download for Leopard users also.

The Only Models out at this time are "Review Models" I am not aware of anyone personally that has gotten theirs yet from Apple since they haven't shipped or have the software to support them released yet.

So give it a few days and the reviews will start rolling in, C/Net gave it a questionable review, But then C/Net has never been prone to giving Apple any credit at all, But allot of other review's i have read have been very positive and this is a good thing.

3. jpatten macrumors newbie

I used the Magic Mouse in an Apple Store yesterday morning. Aesthetically, it's probably the most beautiful mouse I've ever seen. But, I found it pretty uncomfortable to use. I'm pretty picky with my mice, as I do a lot of CAD, and need/want to go as fast as possible without injuring my wrist. Unfortunately it seems pretty difficult to design a mouse that looks nice an also feels good. I haven't liked any of the last four apple designs I've used. The reason is they are all too thin. This forces you to maintain the weight of your hand above the mouse so you are able to move it, but with not so much weight as to push the top, which usually is a big button. In my opinion, the best mice are a little more bulbous, so that you can rest your hand in a natural position without pressing any buttons. Currently my favorite is a Logitech gaming mouse. Very ugly, but very responsive and comfortable.

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I've just got back from the Apple store. I'd initially gone down to purchase one, but didn't, for two reasons. First of all the didn't have them in yet. Second of all, after playing with the display model for about 20 minutes, I don't think it's a great mouse. It looks absolutely beautiful, and is certainly the most aesthetically pleasing mouse on the market - but, it's difficult to use, made my wrist and hand quite painful, and didn't have touch to click support in the same way the trackpad does. I remain interested in these; won't buy one, as I think this will be a short-lived product with a quick refresh to fix some of these Revision A issues.

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I played with one yesterday. The lower profile will work for my home and office desks./However, a home I have three screens and not a lot of room to move the mouse. So I don't think it or any mouse will work well with that much real estate. I use a trackball on the three screen set-up.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Echoing previous comments. I went down there to exchange a different mouse I'd bought and decided to try out the Magic Mouse while I was there. The low profile really kills it, it's absolutely impossible to hold onto comfortably. The plastic is also very slippery and the edges are very sharp.

The kinetic scrolling is very cool, though. However, I think you sacrifice some accuracy for it. Apple is really just too obsessed with the no-button philosophy, it's a bit embarrassing.

I ended up grabbing a Logitech V470 instead.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

they are obsessed with no button clean cool looking above performance. this mouse is almost a trackpad. it could be move comfortable and still not have buttons. most good mice are not so flat wonder why apple? you can only go away from a proven design so far. but there were be people that think it is the greatest thing ever even while their hand cramps.

8. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

As everyone has already stated, this is an absolutely beautiful mouse, but features like the L/R swipe aren't super easy to use like they buttons. I really like the up/down scroll with momentum though.

I think I'll stick to my Razer Diamondback for now... But for $70, I'd rather get a MX Revolution

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

maybe some of these ideas will get into better mice soon.

10. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I'd love to believe it, but I can't. Apple has never made a good mouse. Recent mice have been really beautiful but have had poor functionality.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I meant a different brand. hopefully the idea's will migrate to ms or logitech. I have given up on apple.

12. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

From the 10 minutes I used it in the store I actually really liked the mouse. It took a few minutes getting used to and since the desks are low and you are standing I had to really crouch down so I was at the same level like I would be at a desk. After awhile I really like the feel of it and think I will have to pick one up when they are out next week.

13. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Aw man I preordered it (There's no such thing as an official Apple store here and any other Apple related stores are retailers and they don't have the Magic Mouse).

Is it really that bad? I really could use the 360° scrolling (I liked the Mighty Mouse 'cept of the scrolling issues. And it was a bit to big. Well, not really.) for designing.

I'm hoping that they release the software/update for this mouse so that you can just tap on it to initiate a click/double tap like the trackpad.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

From the few minutes I played with it in the Apple Store, I quite liked it, and it worked quite well.

My main beef with it right now is the lack of customization - I would rather the two-finger swipes invoke expose or spaces, instead of going back/forward. Hopefully 10.6.2 will come with more customization.

15. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1 to both :)
    I played with it at the store but the tables are too low to get the right ergonomic posture so I squatted to get the nice L-shaped arm-elbow-bicep form. The store security device was on the lower half of the mouse so it didn't interfere with finger gestures. Anyway, now I'm excited to get my Magic Mouse!

Please note that the following feedback is from my perspective; YMMV... The mouse felt nice and solid. It wasn't light and chintsy. The low profile actually promotes good ergonomics as it doesn't make my wrist sit at a high angle - almost like having my palm flat on the table. Left and right clicking were a breeze as I tend to lift my index finger when right-clicking anyway. Scrolling is a dream with the momentum scrolling turned on. The two-finger swipes took about a minute getting used to but my hand just naturally found the right way to hold the mouse and do two-finger swiping. The surface felt like a trackpad so I don't see an issue with too sticky or too slick bothering me as I'm used to the friction characteristics of trackpads.

With respect to the reprogrammability of the gestures, I expect Apple will provide more in the future to support Expose, Dashboard, etc. Otherwise, I'm sure a third party will come up with a utility such as Steermouse. Or maybe, I'll write one... :D

'Just checked my online order and it hasn't shipped yet...

16. 929406 macrumors regular

I ordered two to try out and if i really don't like them I shall return them and go back to the MM, unlike many I quite like the MM as the two I have work well with no scoll ball issues.

In Hong Kong the online store is stating shipping within 5-7 days

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If Logitech could put a multi-touch into a MX Revolution....

Now that would rock my wrist.

I am interested in MX Defectors - if the Magic is good enough to draw away MXR folk - I may take a dip myself.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I think it was pretty comfortable to use, excluding Apple's security tab on the end of the mouse which made it kind of uncomfortable to use, since you can't fully use it.

But I will be calling all the Apple stores near me (about 6 within 50 miles), and seeing if any of them can keep their guarantees of early next week, which could technically be yesterday (Sunday), depending when you start your week. But if they can keep to that, I will be there right after class and pick one up. I'm hoping they will have them, considering most online buyers expect them by the 28th.

19. dborja macrumors 6502a

I'm currently an MXR user and I may defect (see my previous post). Of course, the MXR has more buttons than might be possible to create gestures on the Magic Mouse so YMMV; aside from the right and left clicks, I only use the scroll, Expose and Dashboard buttons (the latter two are on the sidescroll wheel for me).

20. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

I'm going to bed, but I think when I wake up, I'm getting an MX Revolution. They're on sale at Newegg for $60.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so far it seems apple dos not have a very long battery life on their wireless parts. my older ms mouse has over 6 months on a set of batteries and the newer logitechs have even longer. but you only 4 up to 4 months on a apple mouse. not very energy efficient.

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Serious? I get about 4 months on my Logitech mouse, but it's going on something like 8 years old now

23. gothamm macrumors 6502a

the low profile just kills it.

if you want arthritis, buy this mouse!

24. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Awesome!!! You can return it?!?! I bought it from the HK store and a few days later I found this thread. ... It's still cool though. :D

Meh. My Kensington mouse made my arm hurt a bit. Hate it and love it at the same time.

[​IMG]

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I played with the mouse at a nearby bestbuy.

While I was not to review tracking/usage/ergonomics at a very stringent level, I found it to be a nice mouse. It fit nicely in my hand and the usage was great.

With that said, I was on sitting up high on a stool and not really in positioned to how I usually sit, i.e., ergonomics.

I was and am a little temped for this puppy. I'm not sure how compatible it is, with Linux and how much work it might be to get it to work, so I'll wait and see.

My 3.5 year old girls were able to use the mouse and it didn't trip them up too much. I think its probably not a wise idea to have a wireless peripherals with such young ones - they pick them up and put and play with them in another room. So if I get a new iMac, I'd probably replace the keyboard and mouse.

To bad apple doesn't offer this in a tailed version.