Is the Magic mouse worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RossBlake, Aug 18, 2012.

1. RossBlake macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've just bought a refurbished 2010 iMac and it doesn't come with keyboard and mouse. So, to get to the point is the wireless Magic Mouse worth the hefty price tag?
    Many thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Worth is subjective. Maybe go to the store and try one out.

3. RossBlake thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, do you own one? How do you think it performs?

4. drubie macrumors member

Ross, it is a nice mouse and it would be my mouse of choice but I don't use it as I prefer the wireless trackpad. So I would say yes, it is worth it. Good luck with your new machine.

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

not worth it

When it works it is a good mouse. However, it randomly drops connection every few days to my 2011 iMac, which usually happens in the middle of work. Frustrated, I ended up replacing it with a simple wired Dell mouse from an old drawer and the old dusty wired Dell mouse works much better, even though you do lose a couple of gestures.

6. RossBlake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both.
    I do have a wireless mouse which is great but it would just look a little out of place next to the beautiful iMac display; as it is black.
    Maybe I should save a few pounds this time.
    Once again MacRumours has solved a problem! And money!

7. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I get that also. it is quite annoying but changing the battery removed the symptom. Its plain stupid that I have to change the battery @ 70% to keep it from disconnecting. When it works it's great.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've got the trackpad and the mm and I wouldn't be without either!

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"I've just bought a refurbished 2010 iMac and it doesn't come with keyboard and mouse. So, to get to the point is the wireless Magic Mouse worth the hefty price tag?"

My opinion (and mine only): no, it isn't.

I'd suggest shopping around for a 3rd-party mouse of your choice instead. They work just fine (use "USB Overdrive" or "SteerMouse" to control it).

I prefer and recommend Logitech mice.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It works fine but I needed to download an application (Better Touch Tool) to make the mouse have features that I feel it should have been included with. I would certainly use one in store before buying one. The ergonomics are love-it or hate-it.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Magic Mouse? Bleh ...

Get a REAL mouse like Razr Orochi. It has bluetooth capability, it has wired mode, enough buttons, and also has ten times better sensor than the one you may find on MagicMouse.

IMO MagicMouse is a fad product. As usual, :apple: makes horrible mouse. Magic TrackPad is completely another league though. Ironic enough it's the best trackpad you can find out there while their mouse is horrible. Especially on OSX. Touch sensivity is spot on, just like the one you find on iPad or iPhone.

So it's best to get Magic TrackPad and Razr Orochi. You get a real mouse from Razr + OSX gestures from trackpad. Both uses bluetooth so you don't lose those precious USB ports. Well it costs quite a bit more. But if you can stretch your budget, nothing beats that combo.

12. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

I personally love the ascetics of the magic mouse, but that thing is so terrible... I'm not kidding. It's terrible and it is more difficult than it needs to be especially for alt-clicking or dragging. The multi touch features take two hands to use: one to hold the mouse, the other to do the multi-touch.

I like the trackpad (magic trackpad?) much better. The sell a piece that connects it to your wireless keyboard which looks pretty awesome.

I use a cheap logitech notebook mouse but I do plan to upgrade to a bluetooth mouse sooner or later though. So far as I can tell, the looks and the bluetooth are the only benefits of the magic mouse.

I suggest you buy the magic mouse from an apple store so you can bring it back in after you realize how much it sucks while looking cool next to your iMac!

13. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

I like mine now, but at first I found it uncomfortable to use. It turns out the ergonomics of the mouse work much better if you flip the left and right clicks. Then your pointer finger will rest comfortably on the right side of the mouse and you can grip the mouse with your middle finger, index and pinky.
    To "left click" you reach your pointer finger over the left. Try it.

14. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

I ditched mine and went to the trackpad...I would never go back.

15. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'd say no. Too small to really use gestures well - the Magic Trackpad is better - and as a mouse in general it's not too great. I'd rather use another wired or wireless mouse instead.

16. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you had to choose get the Magic Trackpad. Gestures are so much easier on there. If you already have one then sure get the Magic Mouse.

17. BruceiD macrumors member

I've used mine for 2 years and I love it!
    I really recommand an app called: BetterTouchTool to add even more functionality to it. Although it is pricy, I would chose it over a trackpad ;-)

18. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I really love my Magic Mouse and think it's the best mouse I've ever used. It was frustrating the first week because I expected to rest my hand or fingers on it and it didn't work well that way at all. Excruciating actually.

Now I barely touch it, I rest my thumb and pinky on either side of it, then it's easy to move, right and left clicking & scrolling are effortless. The M Mouse has become a direct link to my brain, I don't even notice it and i've found that I barely have to move it around as much as my previous mice. A light touch works best.

--Yes, sometimes the batteries run down quickly. I noticed that the battery usage varies with the surface the mouse is on. Anything with a bit too much texture wears the battery down faster. I got the Apple battery recharger on Amazon and that helps too. My brother uses the Mobi mouse stand/recharger.

19. mochatins macrumors newbie

magic mouse is terrible ergonomically

I have a bit of RSI (repetitive strain injury) in my right arm, which is normally dormant. After one week of the magic mouse, my arm was in constant pain--I returned it and got latest version of the best controller I've ever used: the Logitech M570 thumb trackball.

I use it with Mountain Lion and have the programmable buttons set for Dashboard and Mission Control. It's not as flexible as gestures on a trackpad, but it's the only device I can use for extended periods without causing pain.

A thumb trackball takes a bit of learning to use fluidly--just like a mouse once did--but once you do you may never look back.

20. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Coming from Windows, Magic Mouse was worth it, and help me make the transition. For me, it was definitely worth it.

21. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Magic mouse is made with no quality. Cheap construction.

22. willieva macrumors 6502

It depends on how you use a mouse. If you do a lot of cutting and pasting then the magic mouse is way better than a trackpad. I find I use the trackpad on my mbp most of the time, but when I want to do real work I use a mouse.

23. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

I had the mouse and i hated it. Switched to trackpad and i love it :D

24. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I tried the mouse in store, and disliked it.

I moved to the trackpad and have not looked back, I pair the trackpad with a Logitech Performance MX and have the best of both worlds.