Is the new Mac Mini worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bungiefan89, Jun 27, 2011.

  1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    #1
    According to the buyer's guide on this website, the new Mac Mini will be upgraded some time in late July-early August. We've been looking into getting a Mac Mini for my father (he's only got a 5+ year old iBook G4 that I used for years in High School) due to the attractive cost of the device, so is this new upgrade to the Mini going to be worth the wait?

    My father's computing needs are not extreme. He mostly browses the web for sports, politics, videos, and WWII content. I don't think a new thunderbolt port would benefit him hugely, but a fancier processor might be nice.

    Buy now, or wait for the upgrade?
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    Either option would be a big speed boost

    Get when you need it. Keep in mind if you get one now, you have 14 days to return it. That said, the current minis, while due for an update, are not bad by any means
     
  3. Ceddie77 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2011
    #3
    i'll sure wait

    The new mini's may not only be faster, but they could also be cheaper. Since there introduction they only became more expensive, maybe its time for a change. And if i'm wrong and they arent going to be cheaper, you can always get one from apple or ebay for a lesser price.
     
  4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #4
    I'm in need of a mac myself, but I'm in no hurry so I'm waiting.

    If your father's G4 still works I suggest you do the same. After 5+ years a merely 1-2 months wait isn't gonna hurt.
     
  5. ctucci macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2008
    #5
    I'd wait. There might be more to the upgrade than currently rumored, and it shouldn't be too long now until more is known. Unless the macbook is toast...
     
  6. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    #6
    More expensive? That would be pretty upsetting if it were true. I thought the Mac Mini line had gone slightly down in price over the years.
     
  7. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #7
    No, it's only gone up. Which really doesn't make sense, especially with the most recent ones. They are using older and cheaper components, so they really should be cheaper than they are. I think that the new ones probably won't be more expensive though.
     
  8. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #8
    With the popularity of macs going up they're going to charge us $700 for a $300 computer and we still buy them.
     
  9. Minicube macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2011
    #9
    I'd definitely wait if you can. Even if the new Mini is more than you want/need, once it's released, the price of the old Mini's will go down.. Even the 2009 Mini would be a step up for your dad.
     
  10. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #10
    Since I have been patiently waiting, I would like to suggest to you to do the same if your father can get by with his current machine. Let us pray that Apple will soon update the Mac Mini without waiting for Lion.
     
  11. mac.tastic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    #11
    The current mini is a horrible value. Absolutely wait.
     
  12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

    wrinkster22

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto
    #12
    IMO: You should wait for the new ones to come out, then pick up a refurb of the current models.
     
  13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

    ratzzo

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2011
    Location:
    Madrid
    #13
    I'd say if your father has had that iBook for 5 years, waiting one more month wouldn't hurt him. The current Mini specs will be just fine for his use though, so if you don't want to wait, go for it. Keep in mind the CPU jump will be significant though.
     
  14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #14
    If his computer serves his current needs, he doesn't NEED to get the Mini today. Unused Macs are ALWAYS their best relative value on release day. That having been said, you can get a top of the line current generation Mini on clearance the day the next generation is released, or as a refurb now.

    Waiting will either save you money or get you more computer for your money.
     
  15. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #15
    I'd still recommend waiting unless he really needs a new computer now. The current model should be powerful enough, but when a new one comes out the current model will be cheaper through the refurb store.
     
  16. lvlarkkoenen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2011
    Location:
    Utrecht, NL
    #16
    True in general, although PowerPC support dropping from more and more apps may urge some people to want to upgrade fast.
     
  17. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    #17
    With Apple dropping support for Macs with Core Duo processors with the Lion update, the Core 2 Duo ones will be next. Sandy Bridge machines should last a lot longer. I would hold out for the next Mini.
     
  18. mac.tastic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    #18
    The next mini will have a Core i3 and thunderbolt, it should remain fully supported for at least another 5 years. The C2D in the current one will lose support much earlier when Core i-series become a minimum requirement and will last even longer when thunderbolt becomes a minimum requirement.
     
  19. hardax macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #19
    Although overprice at this stage of the game I dont see where people are getting their math from. If you look at any of the Hackintosh builds that incorporate the quiteness and small form factor of the mini you are right in the same range price wise? I challenge anyone to come up with a computer as compact as the current mini for half of its cost.
     
  20. mac.tastic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    #20
    With the same amount of power too, not a wimpy Atom.
     
  21. ViviUO macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    #21
    The current minis are about $300 overpriced for what you get.

    Unfortunately, people don't know any better and allow themselves to be ripped off.
     
  22. bungiefan89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2011
    #22
    Hmm... now THAT sounds good, purchasing the current model when its price drops on the day the new one comes out. Especially if we could save a good $100 or more on the purchase.

    But how exactly would I go about doing this? I'm not so sure I want to wait for Steve Jobs to make up his mind and release the product suddenly one day and force me to drive 70 miles to the nearest Apple Store and HOPE that some of the 2010 Minis are still in stock and being sold at a reduced price.

    Anybody have first hand experience doing something like this? Buy the old model for reduced price the day the new model comes out?
     
  23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #23
    Wait, and then prowl craigslist to pick up a used one.

    Off topic, but any chance apple might actually spend the extra five bucks and put in a 7200 rpm drive in the '11? They'd then say it boots so much faster than the prior model and charge and extra fifty for it!
     
  24. Undo Redo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado, USA
    #24
    Watch MacConnection, MacMall, etc. for the clearance sales afterward.
     
  25. Minicube macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2011
    #25
    "Off topic, but any chance apple might actually spend the extra five bucks and put in a 7200 rpm drive in the '11? They'd then say it boots so much faster than the prior model and charge and extra fifty for it!"

    Man, you would hope so by now. They should have offered this years ago.
     

Share This Page