Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
aside from blu-ray, those are all hard drives and upgrades.. your list looks long but it's not really..

My point is that I've done a lot to my computer over three years and it all fit inside.

What all my crap would look like if the 2010 MP used the new tube design:

External: Blu-ray
External: Win 7 SSD
Built-in: OS X SSD
External: OS X HDD
External: Win 7 HDD
External: exFAT HDD
External or N/A (or Overpriced Obsolete OEM "Upgrade"): upgraded GPU
External: upgraded USB
External: wi-fi upgrade planned

If you want to categorize things as "expansion" or "upgrade" or "hard drives" to make them not count, well, ok.

It's irrelevant anyway. The iTube is coming. You win; I lose.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
If you want to categorize things as "expansion" or "upgrade" or "hard drives" to make them not count, well, ok...

that's not what i'm trying to do.. i'm just encouraging(?) someone to think about all the stuff they add to a computer and realize how much of it goes outside.. most, by far, are external expansions/customizations..

i say the upgrades don't count because we don't know wether or not the new mac has upgradeable components yet..

i didn't say hard drives don't count-- i actually said opposite along with ram.. (but listing 5 drives as needing 5 separate external enclosures is sort of :roll eyes: ... if you need 5 external drives, it (to me) makes way more sense to get one enclosure to hold them all..

It's irrelevant anyway. The iTube is coming. You win; I lose.
well, i'm definitely not trying to win anything here.. sorry if that's how you read what i said.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
well, i'm definitely not trying to win anything here.

Oh, I know. I didn't mean to cast it that way. It's just my own conclusion every time I get sucked into this debate.

Us Slots 'n Bays folk can complain all we want to the Thunderbolt guys but it's meaningless because TB is how it will be.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Oh, I know. I didn't mean to cast it that way. It's just my own conclusion every time I get sucked into this debate.

Us Slots 'n Bays folk can complain all we want to the Thunderbolt guys but it's meaningless because TB is how it will be.

lol. Slots 'n Bays Folk™... fixed it for you :)

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Technically it isn't difficult if you already have everything you would need. But it is difficult it you don't have a chassis already purchased to put them in! There is extra time and cost involved.

Just to be devil's advocate here... If you're spending thousands of dollars to get a Mac Pro, I don't think the extra hundred for some drive enclosures would matter much. :p :D

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

I like both myself. I wouldn't mind if the nMP had slots and bays. In fact I would prefer it did. But to me it's no great loss that it doesn't.

That established, that thread we just saw discussing the new version of SATA (What was it again SATA Express or something? SATA 4?) kinda makes me wonder. It would be really nice if either this one or the next one had USB3-Express, SATA 4 (?), and 6 TB2 ports. The SATA could be eSATA if they wanted - again no bays is no great loss to me - as long as I have access to the interconnect in some way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.