iPhone X is the notch gonna stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elmughrabi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. elmughrabi, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018

elmughrabi macrumors newbie

elmughrabi

just a question: do you guys think the notch will stay in the iPhone in the future or after iphone x they will find away to get rid of it?

2. daynoock macrumors member

I don’t think Apple want to find a way of getting rid of it.
    The notch serves a purpose, it packs in a speaker, camera and sensors for Face ID and it means the device is nearly all screen.
    I’m not a huge fan of the notch, watching videos is a pain with it and a lot of apps don’t make the most of it but I get why Apple chose to do it this way, it’s different and unmistakably recognisable.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It will at least remain for the 2018 iPhone and perhaps the 2019 iPhone X. I’m sure there are some limitations, but I don’t see it changing for the next two years.

5. Smartass macrumors 65816

I know that Microsoft filed a patent, that would combine IR and normal Camera in one(or something like that). Basically, it would enable Apple to shrink the notch. But remove it completely? Unless they figure out how to install cameras behind the screen, i dont know how...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hardly even notice the notch. Not an issue to me but I know others are still freaking out.

7. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I hope so. I don't want the time, signal strength, battery indicator etc. cluttering my screen again.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Yes. For many years.

While most people excuse the notch as a short term fix. The biggest indicator that it is here to stay is that they assigned some major functionality to both sides of the notch with a split Notifications and Control Panel. Getting rid of the notch would make the Notifications and CP dividing line very awkward.

So even if even if technology advances this year to hide the notch functionality then Apple would keep it purely for their botched Remap of Control Panel. That means, until the next major redesign, the notch is here to stay.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

Exactly. I think most of the freaking out is from people who don't have the phone and / or maybe they played with one for a few minutes in a store.

10. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I expect it to stay for a while until they figure out how to put all that tech under the screen. Until then I think we will see it shrink slowly. "iPhone XII now with 30% less notch!"

11. Tom G., Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Since Ben Lovejoy is reporting that Google is possibly designing a phone copying the notch, I would say yes it is not only going to stay but be found on other smart phones. He reports that Samsung most likely will not copy it as they have ridiculed it, but my take is that if other companies start using it then so will Samsung, especially if they find out that it is cheaper to use it than other methods.
    Quote from article on Apple News:

“Google reportedly planning to mimic iPhone X notch in next-generation Android phones
    We’ve already seen a couple of Chinese Android phones copy the iPhone X notch, but a report today suggests that Google is planning to do the same thing.
    The report says that Google is specifically trying to persuade iPhone users to switch to Android by improving the look of its software and boosting the sensor tech …
    Bloomberg reports on the plan, citing unnamed sources.
    While Chinese brands may be focusing on simply copying the visual look of the flagship iPhone, Google wants to copy the tech too.
    The piece notes that not all Android manufacturers are expected to follow Google’s lead, though Huawei is believed to be working on a similar design. The first phone to take the notch approach was the Essential Phone, created by Android co-founder Andy Rubin, though in that case there was just a small notch for the camera.
    One Android phone maker who may not embrace the notch is Samsung, which last year made an ad mocking it.”

As for me I don’t even notice it any more.

12. x34 macrumors 6502

LOL

and i rather see important and useful infos on the screen at a glance.

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

It will stay for at least 3 more years. It's a non issue.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The X was a major design overhaul and we know Apple generally doesn't vary the design a lot once they've established a new standard. I'd say we'll have the notch for 4 years--though it may get smaller. Like all the other smartphone makers, Apple will one day figure out how to place the sensors behind the screen and we'll have slabs of glass. Or we'll have foldable phones--who knows?

15. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

LOL...no, just no :)

....But, I guess that could be true. Still does not mean folks complaining don;t have a X.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't doubt that some (few) that actually have the phone complain about it but the reality is it's hardly noticeable after you've use it for a few days.

It's not going away anytime soon so I guess those not happy with it are going to be stuck using iPhone 8's for the foreseeable future.

17. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

A few? The notch is certainly noticeable when watching video. When not watching video, I agree that the notch is hardly noticeable and you get used to it.

Alright then.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Does not bother me at all when watching videos. I suppose if you wanted to watch a Netflix movie on the phone that might wear on you over time but I'd never even consider doing that on a phone.

19. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Well they could of done something like Samsung has done with the top part of their phones. Could easily just have a top bezel for them and remove the bottom bezel basically.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

The Samsung's have a bottom bezel though. Adding a bezel to the top and nothing on the bottom would look all kinds of goofy...

21. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Not anymore goofier than the notch :)

22. raqball macrumors 68000

But I (along with many others) don't view the notch as goofy... I get it, you hate it but it's not going away so your choices are adapt to it or continue to hate on it and not buy another new iPhone for the foreseeable future.

The notch is unique and I dig it...

23. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Eh seen renders of the S9 where it was like that and it looked fine

24. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

It’ll stay. It’s cool. Tells everyone you’re rocking an iPhone X.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Can you post an image? Everything I've seen on the S9 it looks identical to the S8 from the front = Proportionate bezels top and bottom.