iPhone X is the notch gonna stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elmughrabi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Of course it's relevant. It's just as relevant as you saying you don't like the notch. You do your thing though, you'll show Apple.

2. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Discussing the notch is opinion, and left for discussion. Claiming a topic has been discussed enough is irrelevant to anyone fully engaged in the discussion. If you don't like the discussion, move along. And I have now said multiple times that I have no issue with the notch until I watch Video. Perhaps if you were not so quick to dismiss conversations?
    Just as some people will continue to post their disdain for the notch discussions over and over.....I guess that's what we do here :)

3. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

I found that putting the constant complainers, haters, or trouble makers on ignore makes the forum much more pleasurable.. :D

4. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Indeed. And that's a great idea.

5. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

You're probably right. I am all for discussions, but the nonstop crying about the notch is pathetic.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

I view it as a win-win.. I don't have to read the constant complaining and after a while, when people stop responding to them because they are blocked, they won't get the attention that they seek and might just go away.. LOL

7. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Getting back on topic, I believe the notch is here to stay. Future iPhone's should see a reduced notch in my opinion as apple finds new ways to make the tech fit into smaller spaces. A truly edge to edge design would be fantastic in the future.

8. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

To be honest, I only notice it when I'm on a white screen, I don't find it ugly, We will ignore it, just as we do the little add that is in the box above this on the page.

I'd give it a few years and it will go away and tech sites will be all over it "Apple Kills the Notch!, Finally ... "

That is my guess. ;-)

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Sadly I think it will be around for a few years. A design compromise that has morphed into a unique selling point in all its ugly glory. It’s something we’ll get used to but will always be less than aesthetically pleasing for me.

10. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

And that’s the thing very few seem to understand. They think the notch is a mistake or it’s Apple being lazy.

It’s not. It’s just good advertising. Take the three-pointed-star off a Mercedes, it’s a Honda.

11. Clogger Suspended

Clogger

I think it will be around for a little while longer, I don't think it would have been half as bad if the software guys at Apple had a done a better job of utilising though. As the X has an oled screen why not just black out the wing tips permanently and just have have the white writing highlighted, this way it wouldn't be perceived as a notch at all. When watching media the status tips disappear and instead of the content when zooming out filling the tips it is just zoomed out to below the tips and a very small bezel on the bottom.

12. Superhappytree, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

God I hope not.

Sick of all these: “I don’t notice it therefore it’s a complete non issue now quit crying” posts.

Just because you don’t notice it or don’t use your phone in landscape enough to, doesn’t mean it’s acceptable. All it says to me is that Apples quality control and attention to detail these days is dead; they just don’t care anymore and so in turn neither do their apologists either.

FEBAA97F-6C0E-4B68-A7EE-ED499501FF43.jpeg 3141CC82-6470-4642-814F-F748C862E938.jpeg

There you go, just two examples of why it’s awful. I honestly don’t understand those trying to justify it. If it needs to be constantly justified and defended so much then it is a complete and utter failure of design which it is. Do you honestly want that sticking around forever?

I don’t care what anyone says; Nobody wants a notch. Nobody.

13. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Why? Because it doesn't align with your misinformed narrative? Real owners with months of experience with their iPhone X's are telling you we don't notice it so it isn't an issue. And that's a fact. The only time I remember the notch is when posters like you point out why you think it's ugly. Guess what. Don't buy an X then.

You hit the nail on the head: What I have recently discovered is that there are Portrait people and there are Landscape people and they each have different needs and priorities. If you're a Landscaper I can see how the notch can be annoying. But as a Portraiteer I don't notice it at all, it's never obtrusive. If anything I'm grateful that Apple put the clock and the status on either side of the cameras so that it doesn't eat into the vertical real estate I actually care about.

I'm glad that Apple de-prioritized the needs of Landscape people. I've never watched a movie on a smartphone in my entire life, nor will I. I'm an adult who actually has a TV in his bedroom and I don't game either. I never use Landscape, ever. The X is optimized for Portrait. Finally. No compromises.

No one is trying to justify it. What we are doing is explaining that we don't notice it to people who don't like it. Which only frustrates you because you want us to care so badly. Why is that?

14. elmughrabi thread starter macrumors newbie

elmughrabi

I hope it changes sooner. but I think you are right. they will keep it.

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Apple makes changes when customers tell them they need to. Since iPhone X sales are fantastic and it's Apple's best selling iPhone every week since it was released you'd be better served to start threads asking when the notch will be added to the 8, 7, and SE rather than be removed from the X.

16. elmughrabi thread starter macrumors newbie

elmughrabi

you are right. nobody really wants it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    I have been reading about this point, X sales. there are reports claim that they didn't sell "lots" of iPhone but since the price is higher, the money they got was big.
    how about add a full black bar on top that has all the sensors. the screen doesn't need to be from end to end

17. boltjames, Feb 12, 2018

boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I do. Three reasons:

1. Without it, the screen would be compromised as the clock and status indicators would move down into the current OLED viewing area. Moving them up and out of the way is a brilliant solution.

2. Without a home button, it's actually hard to tell which side is 'up' on the iPhone X.

3. I spent over $5,000 on 4 iPhone X's for my family and I don't want people around me to think we're using old iPhone 6's that anyone can buy for $49 on Craigslist. The notch is a distinctive differentiator that everyone notices. I know. I look for them to glance at it.
    Suggest you take a business class or perhaps set up two lemonade stands. Charge $2 a cup at one stand and $1 a cup at another stand until all your lemonade is sold out at each. Then tell me which one was more successful.

Many reasons why that is a poor solution, the primary one being that the 4 rounded corners are very elegant and by squaring off the one at the top you then need to square off the one at the bottom and then you're right back with the 2007 design and the forehead and chin that looks so dated and low-end.

18. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

Please no! The screen looks so much smaller with blacked out "ears". Why would you do this?
    Of course, if you start scrolling the top line will get obscured. And what about the second picture? There is no problem at all. :confused:

19. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

You're kidding right? You don't like the notch and would prefer bezels? No freaking way. I bought the X because it didn't have the damn bezels. The notch is a great use of the screen real estate in my opinion.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I didn’t think you would care whether somebody knew you had an X or not. I guess it divides opinion whether that initial reaction is positive or not.

21. Relentless Power, Feb 12, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I think there is a difference of caring of what somebody is using for an iPhone and identifying what the iPhone looks like because of the notch. In the context of my post (Which I don’t have an opinion either way of what someone chooses to use for a smart phone), the notch is a fairly distinguishable of a feature without having trying to figure out what phone somebody is using.

22. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

GalaDaliGirl

Jobs would agree.

My god it’s a horrible look. So against the clean design principles Jobs embodied.

It’s wretched. It’s terrible. It blows.

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

...and it's the best selling Apple product every week since the day it was released.

That should tell you something. That consumers disagree with you wholeheartedly. You are allowed to not like the way something looks and to let your feelings be known with your pocketbook. But never forget that others in the same position have chosen otherwise. Tens of millions of others, in fact. The notch is a hit. A big one.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Speaking of a horrible look...... One looks modern, fresh and clean while the other looks dated, old, and worn out...

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 9.54.54 AM.png

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

They both look like smartphones to me, neither of which looks more modern than the other. The Samsung S8 looks a nicer design than the X with its symmetry and possibly why it was voted best looking smartphone of 2017. If the X didn’t have that notch it would be a very nice looking phone IMO.