Is the novelty wearing off??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge171, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Edge171 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Are you all still inlove with your iphone?? I dont know if its me , but the novelty is beginning to wear off...no fwd texting, no video, no mms, dropped calls, crashing all the time...are some of you out there in my boat at all???

2. bananabar macrumors regular

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are some major niggling points that are annoying copy and paste as well as the list above. However I have never suffered drop calls and the other things are managable or solveable via jailbreaking.

I still use my iPhone more than any device I have ever had previously and still love it, I've had mine for 11 months now. I honestly can't see myself buying another phone except a newer model of the iPhone, although I am keeping an eye on Andriod to see what is going on there.

I get annoyed when I come up against a really trivial feature that is lacking or when Safari crashes for the nth time.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

NO, not at all. I don't share your complaints either. I get constant joy from my iPhone.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

No one, ever should be allowed to forward a text message. And before anyone, anywhere forwards an email a pop up box should ask if it is important enough to be forwarded. And Caps Lock needs to be taken off of every computer, everywhere unless the user writes to the computer company with due reason for the extra key.

As for no video, that sucks. Isn't there an App for that?

MMS will eventually come. I don't really know too many people who forward pictures. I know I'd rather get it in an email than pay extra money for MMS. (You know ATT would charge more money.)

Dropped calls should not happen.

Crashing does happen sometime. It all depends on how much you are asking of something with less than 128 ram. Keep that in mind when you are asking for background apps too. What they can do to prevent this is cache some RAM on the Flash Memory. Someone more technical than I could look up if the speed is faster w/ flash or the type of RAM the iPhone uses.

6. BA005 macrumors newbie

Well I never thought it was much of a novelty in the first place.

It's an ipod touch that is also a phone.

Convenient yes, but novelty item? Not really

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Nice reversal. Most people call the iPod Touch a iPhone without a Phone.

I really do like it since I have an iPod instead of an iPhone ... so far.

8. Freebart macrumors member

I'm still in love my iPhone. I find far more positives than negatives with the phone. I find myself relying on it more and more.

If we could get better reception, my wife would ditch her Razor and switch from Verizon. She gets a 5-10dB boost from a huge trucker antenna mounted on the outside of the house. Some of the newer repeaters and amplifiers may help and I am testing them.

Seeing how well the iPhone works has convinced my wife to become a switcher, and she'll be getting one of the new MacBook Pros. She's really tired of the Windows update and Internet Security dance.

9. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Easy remedy for the memory issues.. give the option to use some of the flash hard drive space as memory.

10. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

I still own my 1st gen iphone and I´m still so satisfied that I didn´t even feel the need to upgrade, and I´m a heavy user.
    Plus with my user phones, sony ericsson etc. wich were all good phones they were a lot more things that annoyed me after a couple months.
    nothing is crashing, no calls are dropping, since the existance of mms I wrote about 2, one because of the bad qualitiy of the pics and also because of the price ( expensive in germany) A couple of things might be missing but it´s still the best phone I´ve ever had !

11. aridon macrumors member

When an android phone with better hardware / aesthetics arrives on AT&T I'll probably jump ship. Until then the iPhone is still the one to beat for me. It will take time but android will get there and ultimately Apple's lack of flexibility will be it's downfall.

12. QWK SVT macrumors newbie

Let me first qualify my response, by saying that I have video solved with Cycorder; have NEVER MMS'ed (though realize many do); and have not had a single dropped call, yet.

I REALLY need push/fetch to work properly, crashing issues to be resolved; and the ability to cusotmize sounds for incoming texts/emails/etc. I want C&P; a real document editing/storage solution; and landscape typing for all native apps. With those needs and wants, my love for the iPhone would be eternal (or last for a few years, a least :D)...

I love what the iPhone could be, but right now, I only like my iPhone.

It has certainly proven that the jump from PC to MAC is not for me. The infrequency of updates to fix MAJOR flaws (crashing and push/fetch would qualify) has left me with a sour taste in my mouth, and a sense that Apple is not a customer-centric company I would want to deal with, again...

13. Laughingpain macrumors newbie

Laughingpain

Still love mine.

I have so many uses for it that it is hard to keep it all in perspective. Yes, it is a phone. And yes, it is an iPod. But what it really is, is a multifunctional tool. Maps to where I want to be, Remote control capabilities, finding new restaurants where ever I end up, educational apps, game apps. I have not had a dropped call since I got it a few months back. Sorry for the person who thinks that this is just a "novelty". This is the future. The future may not be solely Apple, but they set the bar for other to jump over. How high can they jump? We will have to wait and see.

- Laughingpain

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I love this phone and will be with iPhone until Android gets to it's level.

Then, I will reconsider at least.

I am a Gmail fan boy, so I want the device that works best with GMail.

Of course, giving up the iPod part would be HARD to do.

15. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

It´s so funny :) how the opinion and the feeling differs :) I am definately a happier user since switching to mac phone and pc, and with all my old phones I never got any updates, neither with windows, at least no updates that ever made me feel something happened, but I get your point and I think it really is different for everybody, plus somebody still as to buy other stuff like windows and LG or motorola phones right ? :)

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That's what I was thinking. Kind of like virtual memory. Doesn't Apple already allow this? I mean if I have 2gb open on a 16gb flash drive, shouldn't it use the open space?

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The novelty hasn't really worn off for me all that much yet and I've had my iphone since July. The apps are steadily getting more and more useful--not like the junk that was first available. Everytime a cool new app is released it kinda renews the novalty a little. :)

18. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I never really considered the iphone a novelty item. Its a phone, with a bunch of other nice features...not something to get tired of per se.

I dont have a need for many of features that are missing. I dont find text messaging that important except for my daughter to text me if she needs something. Video recording is not needed by me, nor is MMS.

My phone is very functional and despite a few very minor annoyances like safari crashing or no copy and paste, I love the phone.

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm still enjoying my iPhone and am finding new ways to use it every day. The speed and convenience in which I can check things that are important to me is amazing.

Best device ever.

20. macbookairapple macrumors regular

Right keep on hoping.

21. macbookairapple macrumors regular

Drop the iphone, get a phone that can forward text, does video, MMS, never drops calls, and also never crashes.

22. jamin100 macrumors 6502

This is my point exatly... I've got fed up of the iphone lacking basic features!

So . . i've gone back to basics! bypassed M$ mobile devices and brought myself a nokia 6220.

> Its got a 5MP camera with a decent flash
    > aGPS (not that i need it)
    > It can FORWARD text messages
    > It CAN send/revieve MMS
    > it gets a 3.5G signal constantly where as the iphone in the same area would stick with edge
    > its small and simple!

The Iphone 3G is up on eBay as we speak.

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

nope. i've loving it. the added functionality of what this phone does for my business is fantastic.

i don't like a few things with it, but no device is 100% perfect, plus history tells me Apple listens and will fix or enhance most of the issues.

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

After having used other smartphones since 2002, your post makes me laugh. If you think Apple's updates are infrequent (and left you with a sour taste in your mouth), you'd probably have a stroke and die if you had to deal with the update frequency of BlackBerry, Windows Mobile and Palm.

To quote from an article from one of the premier Windows Mobile websites:
    http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/n...ken-ecosystem-for-windows-mobile-updates.html

I've seen the same sentiment on BlackBerry and Palm websites as well.

Now that Google is out with Android and release updates quickly, Apple finally has some competition when it comes to update frequency. Maybe that will inspire Apple to be even quicker.

25. iblastoff macrumors 6502

um i've never been 'in love' with the iphone. its just a phone. some of you people creep me out.