Is the paint on my phone smudging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abazigal, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have been keeping my iPhone 6S+ in a spigen air capsule case since day one. Recently, I took my phone out of the case to admire it and noticed this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like the paint coating the plastic cutouts for the bottom antennae have smudged? They could be scratches as well, but I really have no way of telling. I have tried running the area with damp cloth but they don't seem to be coming off.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It doesn't really affect me, but it's annoying nonetheless now that I know it's there. And I am wondering if those marks are there despite me using a case, or because of it?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Likely due to Tapatalk

If debris gets between the case and the phone it will scratch the surface where that debris is trapped.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Gotta love tapatalk. That phone is a mess. Might be better off without a case. :eek:

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is most likely what happened.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not smudges. Scratches. Wear.

The inside of your case is rubbing against your phone.

6. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Eek, didn't realise tapatalk ended up creating so many duplicate threads.

Thanks for confirming my worst fears, and Spigen is supposed to be a reputable brand. But I looked at the inside of my case and didn't find any dirt either. :(

7. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Check out the Sedio Surface case. It has a soft rubber liner that keeps debris from getting inside the case.

With any case you should remove it often to make sure no debris has accumulated.

9. Abazigal thread starter macrumors 604

Abazigal

Thanks for replying. Looked up the case on the net, and the design doesn't really appeal to me.

The scratches seem confined to the bottom part of the phone. I have checked my case, even swept it with a cotton bud, no dirt or grains of any sort I can find that might cause scratching.

The phone is now back in the case (mainly for the camera bump) but I am contemplating if I should now just go without a case. Granted, the case helps with "grippiness", but I do miss the feeling of using a naked iPhone, having done so with my last 2 iPhones.

I am not sure if I want to bother trying to request for a replacement either, since my phone has the TSMC chip.

10. eyoungren, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Even if there is no debris, two surfaces that are in constant friction (such as would happen as you grip/ungrip, push buttons, etc) produce wear.

Engine wear is precisely because bearings rub constantly against each other and wear each other down over time. Same concept here.

The case is probably not as snug as it should be even if it feels like it is.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Going with no case is not an option for me. I have not dropped my iPhone is years and years and yet almost dropped my 6S+ before I could get it in it's case. It is way too slippery to me and I need access to it many times a day without worry. The Sedio has a nice rubbery feel like a Thinkpad cover.

Going without a a case is up to you Sir.

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction