Is the price of a MacBook Pro worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bartenderonduty, May 1, 2010.

1. bartenderonduty macrumors member

bartenderonduty

I've been seriously shopping around for my first MacBook Pro (swiching from PC) and was wondering what you think about the cost-to-value of a MBP. Do you think spending $2200 on an i5 or i7 MBP is worth the cost compared to an equally equipped PC?

I use my computers to run graphic programs, like Adobe's Creative Suite products. I can use any advice you can offer. I am trying to justify the cost of a computer that costs as much as a MBP.

This would be a big purchase for me and I want to make sure I'm making the right one.

Thanks guys!

2. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

If you need what the laptop gives to you then of course it is worth it.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you like OS X more than Windows? Most PCs have horrible battery life, those high-end ones get like 2 hours while MBP get +7 hours. I've noticed that most PCs sound like airplanes while MBP is pretty silent, so that should matter too.

It's up to you

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Did you budget for a new Mac copy of the Creative Suite as well?

With all you have invested in a PC, I would just stick with a PC.

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

For me? Hell yes it's worth it. You have to make that decision on your own I think.

6. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

I figured that I could use Bootcamp or Parallels to run Windows and CS4 until I can switch to CS5 for the Mac.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can change the license from PC to Mac for a small fee (~20$)

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Only you can answer that question for yourself. Since you're posing in the MacRumors forums, I suspect your inclined to purchase but need some validation from others. My opinion is: Overpriced? A bit*. Worth it? Yes.

* 95% confidence integral [good deal, ripoff] :p

9. grndfthrprdx macrumors newbie

In my opinion, what you pay extra for in a mac is a very nice form factor, a very nice OS(UNIX), and decent hardware. If you are looking for the best hardware for your money you should go elsewhere. I am currently moving from a PC to a mac to program, LaTex, and ssh more efficiently and with less hassle. The other big reason is that I can get Logic Studio Academic for $140.

10. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

Yes, unfortunately I have to buy the newest version (CS5) - already tried to switch platforms with CS4 and they wouldn't do it.

11. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

Very true. I'm hesitant because of the price but am willing to spend if other Mac users think it's worth it.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Can't you upgrade to CS5? That's cheaper than buying the whole license again. Was is because CS4 is old now? Would they do it if it was PC CS5 to Mac CS5?

13. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Most certainly most HIGH END Laptops like the Lenovos T Series do their job pretty well but at similar costs.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, Lenovos are the only laptops that can really be compared to MBP in terms of specs, build quality and customer support but it's not a surprise that they cost about the same.

IMO Lenovo = PC Apple

15. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

Well, I can pay the discounted upgrade price to move from CS4 for Win to CS5 for Win. Then once I have CS5 for Win I can convert to Mac for a small fee (cost of shipping new discs, I think).

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I would buy the macbook pro, since everything on it is just simple and easy...

if you don't want portability then you can also buy the iMac...

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That would IMO be the best unless you need the PC CS4/5

18. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I am a recent convert from the PC world and also a Nikon photographer. When the time came to upgrade my old computer I looked at Mac and liked it but was put off by the price. The extra cost is part of the deal, like it or not. What you get is a different computer experience that most believe is better. I say, most, since if you go to sites like Amazon or Best Buy and read reviews form former PC users what you will find is overwhelming praise followed by 'I should have done this sooner'. You never read this on PC reviews. You are paying for a more pleasant computer experience, and all that that implies.

I mentioned that I shoot Nikon because this same thing comes up on Nikon sites, "Macs are too expensive to be worth it." well, the counter argument is why are these people shooting Nikon instead of Canon when Canon's Pro lenses cost about 20% less. People pay the premium because they prefer the product.

The trick is to try to find a deal on Apple and that means buying towards the beginning of a product cycle or refurb or finding a special offer somewhere. Unlike pretty much 'all' other electronics, Apple does not drop prices as their cost goes down over time. My iMac is Refurb and my MB had a 20% off sale.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

There is no correct answer. For some it's worth it but for others it's not. In any case, Macs retain their value and you can make back some of your money once you are done with it.

20. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

First Point: If your a professional and have a business, then this becomes a deductible item on your state and federal income taxes. While there 'might be' an upfront higher cost, it will not matter. And if you compare Apples to Apples then the higher cost is minimal at best.

Second Point: Most Apple computer users keep their computers for a longer time than PC people do, which obviously brings the per year cost down also.

For me, as a graphic designer, my iMac works everyday, all day, no viruses, no spyware, etc. I am more productive on my iMac than on a PC.

21. brendu macrumors 68020

its worth it for OSX... design is great, battery life is great, build is great, longevity is great... but OSX is the single biggest reason to justify the cost.

22. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

I actually heard that creative productivity increases on a Mac, too.

23. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

24. bartenderonduty thread starter macrumors member

bartenderonduty

I ask because I've never owned a Mac. Hoping some experienced users can help convince.

25. dcoux09 macrumors member

It's a lot of money, but it will last you a while. Amortized over the course of 5+ years, it seems well worth it. I've made the switch to Mac a couple years ago and am glad I did. No more Norton subscriptions every year, no worries of blue screens, and the comfort that clicking on a link won't kill your computer. Mac's are intuitive, sturdy, and give you the battery life you need; plus if you're investing for CS5, you should put it on a computer you're confident in.

Buying a PC is like buying a cheep vodka. Seems like a good value now, but you'll be paying for it in the future.