Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I just bought a MBP 13in base model but I realize I don't use the laptop for heavy use. I have a PC high performance at home for heavy duty.

I'm thinking about the rMB coming in a few days, but I want to know, is it going to be buttery smooth? to run programs like word, web browsing, music, AND BASIC DESIGN LIKE photoshop and inDesign...

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
H6CW8SL6vgVb2.gif

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I just bought a MBP 13in base model but I realize I don't use the laptop for heavy use. I have a PC high performance at home for heavy duty.

I'm thinking about the rMB coming in a few days, but I want to know, is it going to be buttery smooth? to run programs like word, web browsing, music, AND BASIC DESIGN LIKE photoshop and inDesign...

I've used three MBAs for the last five years as my main computer. The most processing I require is image/photo editing and .raw editing. However, I do not use batch processing. That being said I will be buying and testing PhotoShop on the rMBA on Friday to see how it fairs.

If I had to guess PhotoShop will run 100% smooth. It runs 100% smooth on my 2010 MBA.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Nobody knows

We have yet to get our sticky little mitts on them the same as anyone else so no one can definitively answer that for you.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've used three MBAs for the last five years as my main computer. The most processing I require is image/photo editing and .raw editing. However, I do not use batch processing. That being said I will be buying and testing PhotoShop on the rMBA on Friday to see how it fairs.

If I had to guess PhotoShop will run 100% smooth. It runs 100% smooth on my 2010 MBA.

Your MBA doesn't have a Retina display and that makes a significant difference to the GPU`s load. I expect the new MacBook to run reasonably well. Will the UI run at 60fps continuously no, will there be some stutter under heavy load yes. Will it get the job done yes, just don't expect miracles from a low power CPU, very similar to a tablet SOC.

Q-6

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Your MBA doesn't have a Retina display and that makes a significant difference to the GPU`s load. I expect the new MacBook to run reasonably well. Will the UI run at 60fps continuously no, will there be some stutter under heavy load yes. Will it get the job done yes, just don't expect miracles from a low power CPU, very similar to a tablet SOC.

Q-6

Yes, however I am taking into consideration the five years of technology development. Considering what my 2010 MBA could do, I'm pretty sure the rMB can run what my five year old machine could run. I am basing it off that.

I will be getting and installing all my software Friday, so perhaps I'll give a report on how well software runs.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes, however I am taking into consideration the five years of technology development. Considering what my 2010 MBA could do, I'm pretty sure the rMB can run what my five year old machine could run. I am basing it off that.

It will do with ease, the bigger question is can the GPU keep up with the display. Basically I think it will be ok, but when pushed it may stutter, we will see soon enough.

Q-6

henrik-s

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Probably not, being retina. Photoshop and especially InDesign is choppy on my 2015 rMBP. Scrolling through a document in InDesign is horribly slow.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

Buttery smooth? Probably not. Many are starting to complain about the new rMBP 13 stuttering and lagging and that has an i5 processor. Pushing a retina display in Yosemite seems to be the issue and if an i5 is having problems, you can bet a Core M will have some as well. CS6? Sure, as long as its very basic editing.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Probably not, being retina. Photoshop and especially InDesign is choppy on my 2015 rMBP. Scrolling through a document in InDesign is horribly slow.

I'm shocked you're experiencing slowness using Photoshop using a 2015 MacBook Pro. That is insane considering I run Photoshop (full verizon) on my 2014 MBA and it runs 100% smooth with multiple files/layers in use. I edit .raw files on my MBA without any issues. I also use iMovie on the same MBA and it runs faster than my 2011 iMac (this utterly shocked me when I realized it).

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014

No, Photoshop doesn't stutter at all on 15" rMBP. It runs buttery smooth. I can tell from experience.

henrik-s

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
I'm shocked you're experiencing slowness using Photoshop using a 2015 MacBook Pro. That is insane considering I run Photoshop (full verizon) on my 2014 MBA and it runs 100% smooth with multiple files/layers in use. I edit .raw files on my MBA without any issues. I also use iMovie on the same MBA and it runs faster than my 2011 iMac (this utterly shocked me when I realized it).

Opening the program, opening files, and saving is very quick. Things related to the display, like zooming and dragging the crop area is choppy though. Overall it feels slower than my 2011 13 inch Air, which is very disappointing.

----------

No, Photoshop doesn't stutter at all on 15" rMBP. It runs buttery smooth. I can tell from experience.

I believe that, the 15" models have better GPUs.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Buttery smooth? Probably not. Many are starting to complain about the new rMBP 13 stuttering and lagging and that has an i5 processor. Pushing a retina display in Yosemite seems to be the issue and if an i5 is having problems, you can bet a Core M will have some as well. CS6? Sure, as long as its very basic editing.

I do not have any stuttering issues with any software on this 13" rMBP. The 11" MBA I had for a couple of weeks last month did have issues with that, even in Safari, forget Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Opening the program, opening files, and saving is very quick. Things related to the display, like zooming and dragging the crop area is choppy though. Overall it feels slower than my 2011 13 inch Air, which is very disappointing.

----------

I believe that, the 15" models have better GPUs.

Wow, if your MBP is slower than your MBA I would return that machine and get a new one. There is no excuse for your Pro to run slower than your Air! I have used Pros before and they are excellent for all processing software. I was very happy to find the Air line can run Photoshop without much issue. Sorry to hear you have problems. That's odd and should not happen with a MBP.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Doesn't really make sense the 2015 13" MBPr has a more powerful GPU than my 2014 13" MBPr, equally there are posts on the forum questioning the graphics capability...

Personally I think Apple should stop treating OS X as a mobile platform and release the OS and updates when they are "fully baked" not just for the sake of keeping a timeline...

Q-6

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
I do not have any stuttering issues with any software on this 13" rMBP. The 11" MBA I had for a couple of weeks last month did have issues with that, even in Safari, forget Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.

I have a early 2013 rMBP with 8gigs of ram: no stuttering at all.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have posted many responses to threads asking about 13" rMBP performance with CC apps, which I found abysmal. I wound up selling my i7 2013 13" rMBP and going back to the 15" rMBP because I just could not get past the lag.

This issue is a genuine problem, and it isn't solved by returning the 13" unit for a new one.

For fairly demanding graphics applications like InDesign, there are really only two portable options: Bear up under the weight of a 15" rMBP, or do without the retina display and use an MBA.

Much as I might like to daydream that the new rMB will offer significant improvement in this area, I imagine it won't.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4

"I get it" and to me it`s either the users applications or poor driver implementation by Apple, as my own 2014 2.8Ghz 512 SSD13" Retina runs great. Apple really needs to think about the speed of which they release hardware and new OS.

The fluidity of OS X was always a draw to many, however I fear we are rapidly spiralling in the wrong direction for the sake of needless functionality and specifications. Personally I absolutely don't want a 15" iPhone Pro, I want OS X to be rock steady, fast and secure desktop OS that is fully independent of IOS

Q-6

----------

Much as I might like to daydream that the new rMB will offer significant improvement in this area, I imagine it won't.

I don't see it unless Apple have truly messed driver implementation up on the 13" Retina, no imagination needed :)

Q-6

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
"I get it" and to me it`s either the users applications or poor driver implementation by Apple, as my own 2014 2.8Ghz 512 SSD13" Retina runs great. Apple really needs to think about the speed of which they release hardware and new OS.

The fluidity of OS X was always a draw to many, however I fear we are rapidly spiralling in the wrong direction for the sake of needless functionality and specifications. Personally I absolutely don't want a 15" iPhone Pro, I want OS X to be rock steady, fast and secure desktop OS that is fully independent of IOS

Agreed. Meanwhile, Windows is getting lighter and more fluid. The upcoming Surface 3 only has 2GB RAM in the base model and its plenty snappy enough. I never thought Id utter these words but Apple has really started to go downhill with Jobs gone.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Agreed. Meanwhile, Windows is getting lighter and more fluid. The upcoming Surface 3 only has 2GB RAM in the base model and its plenty snappy enough. I never thought Id utter these words but Apple has really started to go downhill with Jobs gone.

Credit where credits due Windows is amazing fluid, even on very low level hardware. Surface Pro 3 is an extremely strong contender should the new MacBook fail to impress, and that`s saying something given the time I been with OS X...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.