Is the Solid State Drive worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mojer, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Mojer macrumors member

I was planning on getting a MBA but am now rethinking it and considering getting a MBP. I really liked the idea of having a SSD, thus part of the reason for considering the MBA. Now when configuring the MBP I see how much $ a SSD is going to bump up the price. What do you people here think.....is the increase in price from a HDD to a SSD worth it? What are the biggest advantages? If I were to go with the HDD can I upgrade to a SSD in the future? This will be my first Mac.....thanks so much for any feedback.

2. heanwi macrumors newbie

I would order the MBP with the stock hard drive and then replace it by buying a third party SSD (Vertex 3, Intel 510, Corsair Force 3 etc) from somewhere else. So yes, you can upgrade the HDD later on the MBPs.

The hard drive in the MBP is rather slow so a SSD will be a huge upgrade, worth every cent! Boot-time will be alot faster, app launching alot faster, loading (e.g. games) alot faster and they are more durable (since no moving parts).
    SSDs are awesome!

3. PedroFerreira macrumors newbie

Personally, I think it's not worth, the difference is that SSD is a little faster and more durable than HDD. I think the money they're asking is too much for a MBA. MBP is heavier but also better, faster... :)
    But also depends what you want it for!
    Both are pretty good

4. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

Primary uses will be email, web, FaceTime, Netflix and document creation/editing. Maybe I am better with the MBA after all.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You'd be better off with a MBP as you can upgrade it. If you don't think you'll ever run out of RAM, run with it.

For your uses, a SSD is a waste of money.

6. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

i could never go back to using a HDD...dont be scared off by all the bad ssd threads there are many more that have never had an issue.

7. jason221 macrumors 6502

An SSD is a lot faster than an HDD. Just saying. You will immediately notice the difference.

8. Tim Red Beard macrumors newbie

Tim Red Beard

I just pulled the trigger on a 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD and a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid for my new MBP, I will be using the SSD as the boot drive and the Seagate as the storage drive and turning my stock 750GB into a portable Firewire 800 external drive for various finished projects and backups.

I'm starting school again for IT Service and Support as well as minoring in A/V Editing so I need something that's fast for rendering and also fast for transfers hence the new MBP upgrade from an Early 2008 Black MB.

I will report back on how my upgrades improve my performance and give you my honest opinion if it was worth spending $450 on the setup.

TRB

9. Neil McRae macrumors regular

yes SSD is very much worth it. Infact I'm never going to have a laptop without one from now on.

I have a Macbook Air 11" ultimate and an ultimate 15" MPB. For day to day work, email, web, spreadsheets, powerpoint the macbook air is a joy to use with the SSD. The MBP with its HDD just sucks with beach balls all the time. I bought crucial M4 SSD and the MBP is like a new machine.

10. ArmanUV macrumors member

I recently installed an OWC Electra SSD in my MBP and I couldn't be happier. It feels almost twice snappier when using Finder, booting, launching applications and etc.
    Go for it. It's definitely worth it.

11. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Durability, no moving parts.
    Speed, reading from SSD is quicker than a hard drive.
    Power, my Crucial M4 256GB is providing me with 7 hours battery life on my 2009 MBP.
    Noise, as there are no moving parts it is silent in operation.

12. mark28, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

mark28 macrumors 68000

A SSD is 50 times more expensive for only 2 times more speed. ( comparing a 1 TB SDD to a 1 TB HDD ).

Not worth it.

When the price / speed ratio comes down, then we start talking.

13. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

1TB SSD and 1TB HDD comparison is harsh

SSD aren't really the off the shelve part to store huge amounts of data.
    a 60GB SSD does most of everyday job.

a clean Lion is just over 5GB. plus whatever apps u have. 60GB is more than enough for a few emails and internet use. 60GB is too little i hear u say, 120GB doesn't cost an arm or a leg if you buy a non apple OEM part

and that is a cost of only twice of what a normal size 250GB or 500GB HDD would cost. for 2 - 4 folds the speed and performance gain.

14. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

2x as fast and a comparison of a 1tb ssd and 1tb hdd:confused:

15. Labaguette macrumors regular

i have to admit that i rarely feel the difference. i had a Scorpio Black 750GB RAID0 Setup before and "upgraded" to a Crucial m4 + WD 1TB Drive. Unless i reboot my computer 1 billion times just to see how fast it does or running benchmarks all the time i do feel literally NO difference.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

SSD will speed up boot time (and really, how often do you reboot? Rarely) and application launching time (ditto). You will also see increases in speed working with VERY large files.

For your uses, OP, you will be wasting money, as Labaguette points out. But hey, if that's what you want to do . . .

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

To me it'll be worth it when the 512GB is about $250. Yeah, I know I'll be waiting a long time. But there's no way I'm compromising storage capacity, and there's no way I'm dropping over a grand on a hard drive just so Finder can feel "snappier" and I can have a boot time that 10 seconds shorter than my already fast boot time.

18. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

It is worth it because it's faster and durable, but, at the same time, it's not worth it because of the price (at least to me). OP, for your usage type, it is DEFINITELY NOT worth it!

19. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Couldn't have said it better.

In all honesty, if you can comfortably afford an SSD then congrats. But for me, I will pass until they are cheaper.

I rarely shut down so that fast boot time doesn't do much for me.
    I find 7200rpm fast enough for opening applications, I can bear the time difference.

20. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I just installed my Crucial SSD yesterday. It is worth it

21. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I agree, its worth it.

Laptop runs cooler, longer and much faster.

22. Fugue macrumors 6502

Just installed a Kingston V+100 96GB that I got on sale for less than $1/GB.

Here are the improvements I noticed within an hour of use:

• The Machine Flies
    • Runs Cooler
    • No more annoying ticking sound from harddrive
    • Runs silently

23. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

lol are you really looking at sequential speeds? You don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, SSDs main "performance" gain are fast random 4k/8k reads/writes, and much lower latency. How much faster? The fastest HDDs today are just below 1 MB/s read/write speeds, with 10-15ms access times. SSDs on average are pushing 40-80 MB/s read/write speeds, with <0.1ms access times.

So how much faster? 100x.

And lol 1 tb SSD. What is that, 5 grand?

24. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

^This.

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Initial impressions are largely what you are reading about here. Of course users will be impressed with how fast it boots and shuts down. How much faster it is doing real world work is far less.

In the Apple world implementation of SSD's is quite new, therefore not many have a lot of run time on them. After the first year, that's when the slow downs begin if TRIM or garbage collection is not optimized. I know, I've used nearly a dozen SSD's on my PC's for few years, and just started installing them in my Mac's this year. Snow Leopard was not designed specifically for an SSD. Lion is.

Yet even so, only time will reveal how well Lion truly supports this relatively new tech. That, plus the fact that prices are still coming down at a pretty good rate, in another six months or so, they're going to be a far more sensible choice. In addition they will be greatly improved as well.

Waiting will save you handsomely.