Carrier Is the Sprint version of the SE the best version to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Is the Sprint version of the SE the best version to get?

Additional question: Apple states that the SIM free version won't work with Sprint... but if I buy a Sprint version at full price will it be unlocked & work with T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc?

I'm curious because I placed an order for the SIM free version but when I look at this... http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se ... it shows the Sprint version as having much more LTE bands for worldwide carriers.

The A1723 Sprint / Foreign version lacks LTE bands 13 and 29... but it does have LTE bands 7, 28, 38, 39, 40, and 41 that the A1662 American version lacks. Is band 13 and 29 that important to have for American carriers?

Of course, if the Sprint version can't be unlocked or work with AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon in the first place, then the SIM free version is the only option to go with.

Thank you for your replies :)

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Yes buying the sprint one will allow you to use the phone on all 4 major networks

With how the law works they ( the carrier) has to unlock the phone given it is already paid for in full. I think they have 30 or 60 days policy but don't quote me on that. If you buy it in full at the Apple store I believe any carrier phone is already unlocked. Thought I read an article about that last year or something.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

LOL you're bumping a thread that's 8 minutes old?.....lol

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The "law" you reference has holes big enough to drive a truck through. The agreement the carriers have between them is more beneficial than the "law".

The "law" allows for technical issues. Hence, the 4s and 5 on Sprint can only be international unlocked.

The "law" seems toothless when it comes to the carriers demanding that a phone be active for "X" days before they unlock - even if you've fully paid for the phone.

Everyone wants to use this "law" against the carriers but the reality is that the agreement the carriers have between them is far more effective than anything this "law" has ever done.

5. Ternary macrumors regular

If you're considering resell value, I don't think the model number matters, as both models have specific bands that the other doesn't. On top of that, none of them have band 30, so potential AT&T buyers from the United States probably won't have a strong preference.

6. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

From what I recall, band 13 is Verizon's major band (700mhz)... So you may have issues with coverage using the Sprint version on Verizon...

7. Jay43 macrumors member

8. Closingracer macrumors 68000

It should be. Even if it isn't then you can ask sprint to do it since it's paid in full.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The law still states they have to unlock it no what but or ifs..... How they implement their network is another issue for another thread. Simply put they will unlock the device

10. rigormortis, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

even if the phones will work , the serial number of the device might be in the carrier's book of unsupported devies.
    when this happens they will not activate a new line of service on the phone.

you have to get the imei checked or use a pre-activated sim card from another device

for example. you have the iPhone 6s that is t-mobile / verizon / sprint. AT&T will refuse to activate it t because its not theirs

sprint wasn't activating the AT&T / t-mobile / verizon iPhone 6 beause it is not theirs

for a year verizon wasn't activating unlocked iPhone 6 phones purchased , they decided to add it to their books in august of 2015. they wanted the sim free one prior to this date.

when in doubt. buy the sim free. don't buy the sprint one

typically it can take 90 days for a phone to be on the market as a unlocked phone to be white listed to any carrier . i had to wait 90 days before my 6s+ was white listed on sprint.

verizon told me on 9-27-15 that i did not have a Verizon device.
    sprint told me on oct 2015 that my device was not compatible. on november 17 2015 they said it was a sprint device.

buy the phone. if they won't activate it, you might have to wait 90 days for them to list it

when ever an iPhone is sold. it sure seems to me there is a 90 day of carrier exclusivity where carriers agree not to activate each other's phones even if they are the same model

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So nothing is definite but Sprint can be a major a$$ about unlocking phones even when paid in full. Especially with Sprint, I would stay away but the OP can decide.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I remember reading an article on Technobuffalo about the time the iPhone 6 came out and they said all the iPhones that was bought paid in full with any carrier was unlocked if you bought from the Apple store directly. As far as Sprint goes I haven't had the need nor do i even own the phone so I can't comment on Sprint but they should be able to after like 30 days of owning it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---

It doesn't matter.... With AT&T and T-Mobile or any of its carriers like Cricket if the phone has the necessary frequencies to function on their networks they will work. Verizon and Sprint could pose an issue with its CDMA technology since they need the phone to be in their database but it should work since it has the frequencies.

13. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I was told today that all of the SE models have the same LTE bands. I don't think there's a difference, if you're getting it unlocked.

14. Jay43 macrumors member

This is true for the iphone 6s and 6s+ but not for the SE.

Source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

my post was correct..

i went to AT&T's website. , i gave them the imei off of my "t-mobile / verizon / sprint " iPhone 6s+ phone. they refused to sell me a sim card.they would not put the sim card in the basket and they would not let me choose a plan. there was nothing i could do except call their 1 800 # and ask. its the same exact error i got when i tried to activate a black listed amazon fire phone

cricket white listed this handset. but AT&T did not

i think installing an activated sim from another AT&T handset would be ok