Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I previously had an iPhone 6S Plus and upgraded to the XS Max and I love it.

My wife has an 8 Plus and is considering the XR.

I went to the Apple store recently to look at the 7 and 8 and to compare the 326ppi, shortly after I realized the text on those phones look really bad. It doesn’t look sharp or crisp like the Plus sized iPhones and the X/XS Max.

Is the text on the XR going to look crisp and have there been improvements compared to the 8? Or is it going to look like a bigger version of the 8?

If it’s the latter, it’s going to suck for XR users who are coming from a Plus sized iPhone or the X.

Reactions: Peter K.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1

I went to the Apple store recently to look at the 7 and 8 and to compare the 326ppi, shortly after I realized the text on those phones look really bad. It doesn’t look sharp or crisp like the Plus sized iPhones and the X/XS Max.

Is the text on the XR going to look crisp and have there been improvements compared to the 8? Or is it going to look like a bigger version of the 8?

If it’s the latter, it’s going to suck for XR users who are coming from a Plus sized iPhone or the X.

This is so wrong, I do not even know where to start...

Saying that you are noticing pixels at 326 PPI on 4.8 inch display is BS. Sorry but it is... Fonts are gonna look same on 326 PPI and 526 PPI, unless you are looking at it via magnifying glass, or you are hawk or eagle or something.

But since you are a human (I assume)...

...any further conversation is pointless.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
This is so wrong, I do not even know where to start...

Saying that you are noticing pixels at 326 PPI on 4.8 inch display is BS. Sorry but it is... Fonts are gonna look same on 326 PPI and 526 PPI, unless you are looking at it via magnifying glass, or you are hawk or eagle or something.

But since you are a human (I assume)...

...any further conversation is pointless.
Not disagreeing with you but do you read the OLED vs LCD threads on these forums? There's a whole bunch of people on here that will disagree with you. I'm not one of them. My eyesight isn't that good.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Possibly more important than raw ppi is that the screen is an @2x retina whereas the X/S/Max are @3x retina (as are the plus iPhones, though they then scale to a 1080p panel). Basically this means the Xr and all 4 and 4.7” iPhones render 4 pixels to display one “point” whereas the Xs and pluses render 9 pixels to display one point. This means there is a lot more detail in the image displayed by @3x phones.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Get your wife OLED X series to match yours. Come on cheapskate.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Ask yourself this. Did it honestly look “really bad”? Or is it just that the XS/Max have noticeably better screens?

I think this is a bit of an over reaction. 326 has been the standard for all iPhones up until last year. The majority of people using iPhones today are looking at 326 ppi and they’re all fine with that. For most things you’re not even going to tell the difference, unless you go looking for one. And that’s coming from a guy who is a straight up screen snob.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Not disagreeing with you but do you read the OLED vs LCD threads on these forums? There's a whole bunch of people on here that will disagree with you. I'm not one of them. My eyesight isn't that good.

Gamma and contrast are different things. OP is telling that he can see pixels at 326 PPI with unaided eye at normal viewing distance.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Are people even reading my original post? I never had the 6/7/8.

I had the 6s Plus...which looks better than the 8.

Try a side by side Google Search on the 8 and 8 Plus in Safari...if you can’t see the blurred text on the 8 you must be blind.

I understand the OLED iPhones are going to look better, but I’m saying the Plus Sized phones also look better (than the 6/7/8 and supposedly XR with the 326ppi display).

Just wondering if it’s a downgrade in screen resolution going from a Plus sized iPhone (401ppi) compared to the XR (326ppi).

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
I am literally holding my 6S (not 6S Plus) beside my X now, and fonts look EXACTLY the same, which means THERE IS NO visible difference in pixel density when they are viewed from usual viewing distance.

Colors look different, contrast look different. But text and graphics sharpness is the same. There is no any jagging, which would be indication of poor pixel density.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I really can’t notice a sharpness different between the 8 and 8 plus in stores unless I hold it close to my eyes so for me the XR should be fine.

Reactions: 1144557

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I am literally holding my 6S (not 6S Plus) beside my X now, and fonts look EXACTLY the same, which means THERE IS NO visible difference in pixel density when they are viewed from usual viewing distance.

Colors look different, contrast look different. But text and graphics sharpness is the same. There is no any jagging, which would be indication of poor pixel density.
I’m honestly not trying to troll, but I can tell the difference.

Maybe it’s minimal, but the text is a lot crisper for me on the Plus (and definitely the XS Max) compared to the 8.

-M4-

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, once you know what to look for (aka, noticed the difference) it will take a while to get used to the lower ppi display again. It’s not thrash at all and still looks very good, but once you get used to something better and can spot the difference... it’s tough.

Personally, I was in-between the XR and XS. Once I saw a promo they were running in my country in a certain chain store, I went there to play for a while with both the XS and a 8 (coming from a S7) and, while most things about the display looked perfectly fine to me, I could notice the text difference. Seeing as I spend most of my time on the phone reading, I decided to go with the XS.

Now that it’s closer to the XR release date, you might want to wait a little while and check the actual model hands on though.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

In my eyes it will look better then the XS Max, the 8 Plus does to me.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I love my Max...but I’m pissed about the PWM implementation on the OLED screen.

Wish the XR had the same PPI as the Plus.

If you’re upgrading from a 6/7/8 to an XR it will look great. If you’re coming from any Plus sized iPhone or X, I think the XR text will be disappointing.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

Individuals with "golden eyes" will hate it, Just like people with "golden ears" hate most audio gear. They can see and hear stuff that normals can't and keep telling us;)

Squirreljam

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Xr will not look like crap. Just today, an hour or two ago, i returned my max and went back to my four year old 6. While the 6 feels tiny and feather-light after 12 days with the max and the screen is WAY smaller, the sharpness is the same (to me; ymmv).

I’m not keeping the 6, just waiting for the xr - I’m fine with the screen, dual cameras is a meh for me and the lower cost, including a $50 upgrade to 128gb storage is a home run for me.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018

science says the eyes can't tell the difference above 300ppi but somehow you feel a screen is crap.

i think it's just your eyes playing tricks on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.