Is there a phone camera worse than the iPhone camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trajectory, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

At a recent event, someone had an old, cheap Samsung phone who was taking photos with it, and I was taking photos with my iPhone. My photos looked like crap (dark, blurry and grainy), his looked 10X better (sharp and well-lit).

What a shame Apple put a cheap camera lens in the iPhone. Are there any other phone cameras that are worse? Or is the iPhone "unique" in this way?

2. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Yes. Probably 90% of cell phone cameras are worse than the iPhone's.

3. reliantj macrumors 6502

my 3g's camera sucks ass.
    my samsung sync's was so much better.

and the lg dare has a 3mp camera with flash.
    but the dare still sucks ass period.

4. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I compared it to the Samsung Omnia (5mp camera) and apart from the actual size of the photo, the quality isnt that different.

5. DigMe macrumors 6502

My two previous phones had worse cameras. The last phone was LG VX8300. I had some other LG before that one.

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

My first iPhone 3G's camera was blurry, so I exchanged it. The new one is much better and it bests the cameras from my previous phones.

7. iblastoff macrumors 6502

unless you're in full daylight the camera is pretty much junk. i know its only a cellphone camera and am not expecting dslr quality but at least a flash would have made it usable.

8. TommyLee macrumors regular

It's the Worst Ever, dude... Is this your first Apple rip-off?

9. TommyLee macrumors regular

Wrong... Fail, lol.
    I just happen to work at a cell phone store. You shoukd chage your statement to 90% off cell phone cameras are better. Even $30 LG's have a flash... Homie.

10. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Blackberry camera's are horrible.

That said, my 1G iPhone took better pics. They were very clear. My 3G iPhone they are always grainy. Yes, they can tell me its the same lens etc, but my quality went down.

11. Aurial macrumors 6502

Where the hell do you shop?

I think I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if I went into my local phone shop tomorrow I would not be able to find a phone with a camera worse than the iPhone. No one releases 2 Megapixel cameras anymore, even Windows Mobile have moved onto 3.2 minimum. Plus add to that the fact that there are absolutely no options for the camera either.

Hell there were three phones in there with 8 Megapixels last time I was in.

P.S. I know its not all about the megapixels, but there are no ISO settings, picture modes, and even the sensor is bog standard.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My previous phones camera was better, 3.2 Megapixel, and a proper Xenon Flash, K800i, but then thats a Kamera Phone, i didnt buy my iPhone 3G for its Camera.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

like, lol, fail homie:rolleyes: (stop talking like a ten year old)

What criteria for the camera are we going by here?

Flash? MP? How good they actually look?

a camera can have flash and still look like ****, as well as a camera with higher mp can look worse than one with less mp's.

I personally havent used the iphones camera, but ive seen some damn impressive quality photos on the forums here.

14. Aurial macrumors 6502

Well, I regularly read technology magazines which have phone camera megatests, and the iPhone doesn't even get a look in.

That's gotta say something about it.

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Thats funny, all my friends think the iPhones camera is awesome.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

but how can it possibly take good looking photos (i thought we judged cameras on how their photos look....) without flash???

Yes the phone is severly lacking features but that doesnt make the pictures it takes bad. Ive seen great ones on the photo thread here.

17. joesegal76 macrumors member

I had the Sony K850 with a 5MP camera with flash and unless the phone was defective (probably was) it took some terrible pictures... especially with the Flash. Even though the iphone does not pack any features and for only 2MP it still does the job for the rare time I bust it out to take pics. Remember, its an iphone not an icamera

18. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

19. arrow201 macrumors member

Previous phone was Nokia 6670 ....1 mp camera ...sucked ...so for me
    iPhone is a big improvement :)

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Given the rather lackluster battery in the iPhone, I can't believe some people actually WANT a flash added in.

The thing doesn't die quickly enough for you?

Do ANY of these other phones with a flash have big, bright screen like the iPhone? I think you get one or the other. And quite frankly, I'd rather have the screen.

21. amrk47 macrumors regular

the 3g has a very good camera compared to the rest

the secret is to hold it perfectly still when taking a pic

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

no, people want it all, and they want it to be better than everything else in the world.

Apple isnt a miracle worker, there are limitations to current technology, especially considering apple doesnt actually make most parts it uses.

23. MacMontana macrumors member

Maybe the OP should clean their lens. My iphone takes great pics.