Is there a point?>

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMadeInHeaven, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

What exactly is the point of an IPad? WHat does it do that an IPad Touch or Macbook Air can't achieve?

2. CrzySausageBaby macrumors newbie

Once you've sat down and used one for a little while, you'll see just how magical the experience is.......it just cant 'be replicated! :D

3. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

To me it's simple, the size of the iPad makes it much more comfortable and capable than an iPhone/iPod Touch while also being less hassle to use than a MacBook Air.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

This question has been asked a dozen times already. Please use search feature.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Plenty of people are finding uses for it, but it's definitely a product that you only get if you really feel you have a need. If you don't, or you don't get why anyone would buy one, then you shouldn't get one.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, the iPad screen is bigger than the Touch making browsing a lot more comfortable, and its a tablet so it has a touch interface instead of the "old school" keyboard of the Air. So its three different strokes for different folks...

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Lots of people use it to read their e-books, PDF, magazines on it, which what I will be using it when I get one.

8. Vicky! macrumors newbie

There really is no reason, when you think about it. My Android phone, iPod touch, and laptop can do everything the iPad can do.

But the iPad is sleek. It's made by Apple. It has 2 cameras and it's great for reading documents. It's portable while not so small that it's frustrating to surf the web/read emails and books.

It also will fit in my backpack, which my big Dell laptop cannot do in my tiny Vera Bradley bag! I can take it to class to type or look at powerpoints. I can look at powerpoints on my iPad while taking notes on my laptop, and I don't have to switch screens!

The apps are also really awesome. The molecules app? Totally amazing to me, a chem major.

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

There isn't much that the iPad can do that another device couldn't do. However there is a lot of things that the iPad does better than anything else. It's great for reading, surfing, keeping me organised, it's also brilliant at games. Doing something better, is just as valid a reason to buy, as doing something different.

10. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

If you have to ask you are likely not the intended audience of the product :)

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I figured in the cost, for me, I wanted at least a 32Gb 3G model and couldn't justify it no matter how much I wanted to.... until the iPad2's came out and the prices on the original dropped significantly!

Then I got a original iPad a few days ago for $449 NIB that was 32Gb 3G... here in Japan I refuse to use softbank which is the only iPhone carrier due to past experience and the way they treated my family as a "Gaijin" so I don't have an iPhone as an option.

Most of the android options, are all in Japanese anyway so that wouldn't work very well on another carrier either.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

It's a spectacular piece of technology. There is a reason 10 million plus iPads have been sold. :)

As many members have said, this is a consumption device. Reading emails, surfing the web are the primary uses the iPad is AWESOME at. It's simply amazing to use on the go where you don't want to take your computer, or use the 3.5 inch screen of the iPhone.

If you are considering the purchase of one, go ahead and try it! If you feel you do not use it enough to justify the price, return it to Apple for a refund and call it a day. :) I'm quite sure once you have it you will enjoy the ish out of it.

Good day!

13. iMackPro macrumors 6502

its a web-surfing/book-reading/email-using/fun app\game playing/ machine! its iOS on a macbook minus the weight and keyboard.

If i had to guess the ultimate "thing" about the iPad is the battery. It lasts forever. It can go a full day of work for reading emails and stuff.

The reason i want one for fun, lol. i have the extra money since tax season and my new 2011 is already paid in full. Not to mention my girlfriend has been using my mac more and more, which is giving me all the more reason to buy it :D. i think all of my mac purchases (iphone, mac iPad) have strengthened our relationship LOL how sad is that, but seriously girls love these devices and they love laying in bed playing with him. all MEN love a happy girl playing in bed.

14. krnboy503 macrumors regular

Search the Thread...Hundreds of "Why Buy an iPad?" threads already made.

Argh.

15. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Its not for people who can't think for themselves ;)

16. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Nothing is worth buying apart from food and water, behold our lord Jesus Christ on this Easter day.

17. belder macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini and a year later bought an iPod Touch. Love them both. I decided to get something more portable and spent a morning at a local Apple store playing with the MBA 11", 13", MacBook and original iPad.

The MBA 11" screen was too 16 X 9 and required a lot of scrolling. I'd have to get the 13" to suit my needs. But something kept drawing me to the iPad. Until that day I had never laid hands on one. I was amazed at how easy to use and all it could do. I wasn't looking for something to do any heavy lifting. Then the iPad 2 was introduced and I got in line like everyone else.

My iPad 2 is the first computer I use every morning and the last one I use at night. It's absolutely perfect for my needs. I love having more RAM and the faster processor. I have missed not having Flash on occasions but not enough to make me wish I had bought something $500 more. The weird thing is that I don't have the "Wonder what Apple will have for me next" desire. Sure, I'll need to upgrade/replace the Mini one day but not now.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Don't consider the iPad an "iPod Touch XL", consider the iPod Touch an "iPad Lite".

For web browsing, games/apps and videos it trumps the iPod Touch (and iPhone).

I do see it as a companion device to a regular laptop/desktop though. It's not flexible enough to be a full on replacement, but if you don't need to do anything more then light web browsing etc, it's better to carry around. Battery life in particular is fantastic, I just don't really have to worry about it like I would normally do with my Macbook Pro. I pick it up in the morning and can carry it around all day using it as much as I want, and I know that when I get in that evening I'll still have enough juice left to just relax in the lounge and read a book or something.

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Is there a point? No. The iPad's corners are all rounded. :D

Why do they exist? To make money for Apple and its shareholders. ;)

Do we need one? No. Before they existed we didn't even want one. :eek:

20. mareyeka macrumors newbie

needs versus wants

Didn't you ever learn about humans and the needs vs wants for survival?

You only NEED certain things in your life, but unless you're a minimalist, living off the grid, (which you likely aren't because you're posting here), chances are you have many things in your home that you don't need.

Why do you have a bed? Because it's more comfortable than sleeping on the floor, right? Why do you have tasty foods to eat and beer or wine to drink? You don't need them. You can get by with bread, fruits and veggies, if you really need to.

you don't need an iTouch, iPhone or iPad - but it's something that people want.

I wanted an iPad since they came out, but decided to hold out until either the prices went down or a new version came out. I did the same thing for my Kindle. I ended up paying way less for a Kindle 3 than did the others who bought the first versions. Do I NEED a Kindle? No, but I sure wanted one and I use it every day.

now that I'm waiting for my iPad, I think daily about when and where I'll be using it. Do I need it? No. Do I want it, Hell yeah.

21. ethics101 macrumors regular

1. Ebook/PDF Reader
    2. Portable Media Player
    3. Lecture Note Taking Device
    4. Quick Gaming Machine
    5. Mirror
    6. Portable web browser with minimal eye strain
    7. Conversation Starter :p

All of this at 1.3 lbs, 10 hours of battery life, and $500

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It always amazes me that people can't grasp that a screen the size of the iPod Touch isn't necessarily comfortable for reading anything, watching video, and such. It's also very clear than an iPad is more portable than a MacBook Air. Not everyone has need for an iPad, obviously but it should be blatantly clear that the combination of a larger screen than an iPod plus more portability than a MacBook ARE the number 1 points.

23. whitesands macrumors newbie

I was almost sure I need one, I do have a PC and laptop.
    Had mine now for 11days, I know awesome has been used many times here to discribe the iPad, all I can say is that I've been awesomed.

I love the way I can just pick it up and go, no waiting, no booting up, no wires, no heat.

Spend a day with one and you'll know.

24. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

There isn`t any point to the iPad.

If you listen carefully you can here over 16 million iPad owners simultaneously facepalm.

Seriously, it`s an "extra, luxury device" for most, me included no-one actually needs one.
    I could certainly live without mine, don`t want to tho...