Is there a reason we need to wait 30 seconds to report a post?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by snberk103, Jun 30, 2014.

1. snberk103 macrumors 603

Is there a good reason there is a 30 second delay to reporting posts? Occasionally, like tonight I'll sign on and find several obvious spam posts. When I try to report the 2nd and subsequent posts I'm told that I have to wait 30 seconds to between reports. It's no biggie, but if there isn't a good reason could that delay be shortened. If there are 3 or 4 spam posts that I've noticed it takes 60 to 90 seconds to do something I could otherwise do in 15. No biggie, as I've said… just checking. Maybe there could be a special button for 'spam' with no time delay?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I did some looking around in the back room and about 5 years ago it was discussed and determined that there is no way to change the interval in vBulletin. It's hard coded into the software.

3. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

OK, Thanks. Looks like I'll have to live with a 1st world problem then, eh? Happy Canada Day to all.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just a note...if the spam that you see popping up one after the other are showing the same username, it is only necessary to report one of the spam posts...all the other posts with the same username will be deleted, too. So there is no reason to report more than one spam post under the same username.:D

5. snberk103 thread starter macrumors 603

That one is did finally figure out, thanks. Though only relatively recently…. sorry about that. But sometimes I will see a number of suspect titles, and will investigate. Often, I think they come in waves. So if I'm signed on immediately afterwards I'll end up seeing 3 or 4 - one after another. Waiting the 30 seconds is no biggie… I'm happy to help de-spam the forum, when I can.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

lemme look into that

arn

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've encountered this limitation, as well. After being away from the forum for a while, I'll review the threads that were posted while I was away, to see if there are any to which I have something to contribute. During that process, I inevitably find multiple spam threads/posts by different posters. Even reporting one post per spammer, it can be several reports in a row. It would be helpful to be able to make those reports without waiting so long in between. They can spam faster than we can report!

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I've also noticed this. I report what I can, and the mods do a pretty good job of routing them out. If we could report them quicker I'm sure it would help you mods out. Lets see what Arn can find.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As I recall, it's a single setting that controls minimum interval for both post reporting and creating actual posts. So it's a tradeoff between making people wait a bit between reports and risking people (spammers or troublemakers) possibly flooding the forums with posts.

There may be a way to separate those two limits, but it's hackier than just changing a setting baked into vB.

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I appreciate all of the effort that goes into keeping this site clean, from Arn/admins/moderators down to the posters, contributors and even lurkers. So many people are involved-- actively reporting and cleaning up the junk. I imagine it takes a lot of time. Hats off to you all.