Is There A Size Limit For Attachments In Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newyorksole, Sep 15, 2011.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I don't see any info about it within Mail app under OSX Lion, but I have tried sending files that are about 125MB large and it will say it's sending and then an error pops up.

Also, I have my college email setup in Mail. It's a Hotmail/Live email and I am able to send/receive, but a few times a day it will tell me that the password that is saved is not correct and when I type in the password it goes back to normal. Anyone know how to fix that?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The server probably has a size limit. I know my work email is limited to 10MB per email.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The attachment size limit is set by the email server administrators. The most common limit is 10MB as r.j.s. mentioned. Mail or other email clients don't regulate the attachment limits. I recently saw someone who works for Pyramid Network Services receive an attachment of a 75MB pdf.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

When sending large files that are too big for an email I upload them to Dropbox and send a link to download the file.

I also get this error if the interval at which mail checks for new messages is less than 30 minutes.

5. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It's the email server that won't allow it to go through. People have tried to send me files much smaller than that and it wouldn't get to me.

Usually a message pops up somewhere saying it couldn't deliver it.

6. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks for the replies! thought it was just me.

7. stevenzac macrumors newbie

file size limit with Mail

I have always had this problem using Apple Mail. We don't use apple server in the office but we do use Exchange. From my macbook pro I can't send large files from the mac, but if I switch into Outlook using Parallels, I have no problem sending a file of any size. So it can't be a file size limit based on the server and it happens every single time I try to send a large file.